jQuery not supported.

Maryland rust?

Maryland rust?

Postby MIsugarChevy [OP] » Jun 24 2020, 1:49am

Hi guys,

Just wondering how the winters in Maryland are? They as bad creating rust as Michigan?

Thanks
Original Poster
MIsugarChevy
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Double cab 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Maryland rust?

Postby 19trax95 » Jun 24 2020, 3:11am

What part of Maryland?

My grandparents lived in western Maryland for 20 some odd years and their rust issues were similar to PA. They used coal cinders on the roads as well as sand. Would absolutely trash a vehicle if you didkt keep it clean.

That was also back 15 or so years. Not sure if they followed suit and went to the brine solution and salt. The brine is the absolute worst. It gets into every crevice and will ruin a vehicle in short order if preventive measures arent taken.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 132
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby MIsugarChevy [OP] » Jun 24 2020, 3:52am

The truck is for sale south east of Baltimore. Looks like it was originally sold and lived north of there almost to PA
Original Poster
MIsugarChevy
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Jun 24 2020, 11:52am

Any truck living in a salted road area can be damaging to a truck... I live in MA, and my truck is held together by rust in some places...lol

Someone would make a killing if they opened a chain of underbody foam/wash and dry to keep winter damage minimal...
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 177
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 08Silverado0208 » Jun 24 2020, 12:28pm

All depends on how it was cared for. I live In Central Maryland and my truck has very little rust. Mainly on the frame.. body is straight.

It was also washed religiously in the winter months.
08Silverado0208
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Jun 24 2020, 1:18pm

i live in extreme south east PA and work 45 min into Maryland. just reading your thread title spiked my blood pressure. MDOT is horrible. they do use the brine, and the pretty much apply it every time there is precipitation forecast and the temp is below 40 degrees. it blows my mind. they put so much down, that I think we got snow, and its just the salt turning the roads white
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 43
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DrPepper » Jun 24 2020, 1:21pm

If the vehicle lived, for any time, north of the Mason-Dixon line or in Maryland, it's gonna have rust. Personally, I'll never buy a vehicle that has spent time up north. I've lived east of Pittsburgh and in Syracuse. I've owned vehicles from those areas. Never again. Not unless you're prepared to deal w/ the rust. JMO
1981 Camaro Z28
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500HD Duramax 6.6L CC DRW
DrPepper
Topics: 6
Extra Info: 3500HD Duramax 6.6L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIsugarChevy [OP] » Jul 04 2020, 2:01pm

Sounds as bad as Michigan except for Goat721 yours sounds way worse. They aren't quite as trigger happy around me but if they were I'd probably need some blood pressure pills to.

That's a great business idea Ricka. Get some guys together on the site and start up a chain of them in the northern U.S. and watch the money roll in.

I ended up not going with the truck in Maryland but thank you for the replies. I tried finding a southern truck but nothing fit my criteria. Ended up find one like Goat`s out of Montana with 18,000 miles on it. It's got some surface rust on the frame but nothing that can't be fixed.
Original Poster
MIsugarChevy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exterior