Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

NNBS Silverado Complete Cree LED conversion.

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Radioflyer 
#1 ·
I finally had the time to swap the rest of the bulbs in the truck with LEDs.

The tail lights are Cree 30w (6-chip) 3157 Red bulbs
The Reverse lights are Cree 80w (16 chip) 3157 white bulbs

These two were simple bulb swaps.
The tail lights are nothing short of slick. The pure red color of the LEDs makes the tail lights look much more modern without losing the OEM appearance. In addition, they are about as bright as the factory brake lights.

The Reverse lights are incredibly bright and easily illuminated the majority of my 100'+ driveway.

The 3rd brake housing was a little more interesting. The direct bulb replacement calls for T10 style bulbs, but even the Cree replacements weren't bright enough, so I improvised. I removed the 3157 base from another set of red 30w and white 80w bulbs, sanded open the mounting socket in the back of the housing and built custom ABS mounts for the new bulbs. I also hooked up a 3-stage warning flasher to the 3rd brake light. Stage 1 is 4-flash strobe, stage 2 is a 4 stage slow flash and stage 3 is a steady-on.

You can see the video here:

The cargo lights are incredibly bright, but perfect for their function. Between them and the reverse lights, I don't think I'll need separate work lights. I am however planning getting a retrax tonneau cover early next year and will be building a custom bed-lighting system for use when the tonneau is closed and I need to see in the bed.

I also took some quick shots of the front LEDs which were part of the headlight retro. The parking lights look really cool from far away during the day. I feel they make the truck look unique without being obviously aftermarket.

Swapped the interior lights too. I used 42mm 3-chip Cree bulbs. I was surprised to find out the NNBS didn't have foot well lights from the factory. I plan to add them to mine as well as illumination for the running boards and custom lighted door reflectors for front and rear doors.

More LED fun to come.

See less See more
1 11
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.