jQuery not supported.

Rate my topper colorway design

Rate my topper colorway design

Postby wall-of-death [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 7:50am

I've begun the process of modifying a camper shell and painting it for my 2012 crew cab. What do you all think about this design?

First I'll have a local paint shop spray it to color match the truck all over. Then I'll mask it off and paint the top white and gunmetal as shown (unless the shop can do the white for not too much more). I'm not sure if I'll do the graphic as spray paint, custom vinyl decal, or plastidip. Removability is key though so probably not paint.

The shell is taller than I expected so I want to break up the huge solid wall, and maintain the roofline all the way back.

The graphic on the rear helps break up the blank space back there where I will have to remove a window and it also (hopefully) makes the upper back corner feel less bulky. You can't really see it but it's sort of a sawtooth design.

In addition, I'm going to plastidip the wheel covers gunmetal and do the black plastic handles/bits with plastic restorer. May get better tint but they match surprisingly well.

Cheers
Original Poster
wall-of-death
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4.8 SL
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Rate my topper colorway design

Postby adriver » Jan 13 2020, 9:29am

wall-of-death wrote:I've begun the process of modifying a camper shell and painting it for my 2012 crew cab. What do you all think about this design?

First I'll have a local paint shop spray it to color match the truck all over.

Are you painting the topper only or the entire truck?

wall-of-death wrote:Then I'll mask it off and paint the top white and gunmetal as shown (unless the shop can do the white for not too much more).

The top of the topper above the cab roof line, or the top of the entire vehicle to include the cab? There is no white in your vehicle, or gunmetal. That's going to stand out and look like clown makeup.

wall-of-death wrote: I'm not sure if I'll do the graphic as spray paint, custom vinyl decal, or plastidip. Removability is key though so probably not paint.

What graphics? What are you trying to do? Are you putting a small stripe, are you wanting to cover 90% in tribal tattoos, are you going to show off your love for hello kitty?

wall-of-death wrote:The shell is taller than I expected so I want to break up the huge solid wall, and maintain the roofline all the way back.

These two sound like they have contradicting intentions.

wall-of-death wrote:The graphic on the rear helps break up the blank space back there where I will have to remove a window and it also (hopefully) makes the upper back corner feel less bulky. You can't really see it but it's sort of a sawtooth design.

Not sure if removing the window is a requirement, or why you think that will look bulky unless you add some kind of picture to it. Its a crew cab bed, and IMO, you should at least paint the topper, and plan on driving it around for a while before you put graphics on it, to see if that's still how you feel. I just don't think it will look "bulky" without graphics on it. Also, I don't think anyone is going to suggest spray painting them on. You would have to have someone incredibly talented do something, and even then it still won't look as clean as graphics, a wrap, or even airbrushing if you can make that work. Its a 2012 pickup not a 70s hippie van or vw beetle.

wall-of-death wrote:In addition, I'm going to plastidip the wheel covers gunmetal and do the black plastic handles/bits with plastic restorer. May get better tint but they match surprisingly well.

Cheers

IMO, remove the window if you want to or not. Paint the topper to match the pickup. If you are going to paint the truck itself, you might want to consider a wrap for the truck and topper. Keep the roofline like you have in the pic, and paint the color of the topper above the roofline the same as whatever wheels you are going to use. Gunmetal will look out of place (I think anyways), but definitely if you keep those black steel wheels. Personally, I like the steel wheels. I would match the handles, the mirrors, the wheels, and the topper above the cab roof line all in that black, (if you are set on keeping that cab roof line. There really isn't going to be a perfect way to do that area above that roof line, unless the topper itself matches there in design, and not just color). Not only cause its easier, but personally, I like that military style kind of look it gives. I would also debadge SIERRA and paint those bumpers either the same black, or same topper paint.
adriver
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Reg cab 2wd 4.8 5spd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jan 13 2020, 1:36pm

Or, you could just buy a minivan, Suburban, Yukon or Escalade instead........
I don't understand what you're trying to do either. And maybe it's me, but the topper makes the rear wheels look disproportionately small...

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

100,302 miles 7/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adriver » Jan 13 2020, 2:17pm

yeah definitely, like its a street tire with a smaller sidewall is killing it.

OP, whats your style? How do you use it, and are you planning on lowering it, raising it, or changing out those wheels or tires?
adriver
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wall-of-death [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 6:42pm

adriver wrote:The top of the topper above the cab roof line, or the top of the entire vehicle to include the cab? There is no white in your vehicle, or gunmetal. That's going to stand out and look like clown makeup.

What graphics? What are you trying to do? Are you putting a small stripe, are you wanting to cover 90% in tribal tattoos, are you going to show off your love for hello kitty?

Not sure if removing the window is a requirement, or why you think that will look bulky unless you add some kind of picture to it. Its a crew cab bed, and IMO, you should at least paint the topper, and plan on driving it around for a while before you put graphics on it, to see if that's still how you feel. I just don't think it will look "bulky" without graphics on it. Also, I don't think anyone is going to suggest spray painting them on. You would have to have someone incredibly talented do something, and even then it still won't look as clean as graphics, a wrap, or even airbrushing if you can make that work. Its a 2012 pickup not a 70s hippie van or vw beetle.

IMO, remove the window if you want to or not. Paint the topper to match the pickup. If you are going to paint the truck itself, you might want to consider a wrap for the truck and topper. Keep the roofline like you have in the pic, and paint the color of the topper above the roofline the same as whatever wheels you are going to use. Gunmetal will look out of place (I think anyways), but definitely if you keep those black steel wheels. Personally, I like the steel wheels. I would match the handles, the mirrors, the wheels, and the topper above the cab roof line all in that black, (if you are set on keeping that cab roof line. There really isn't going to be a perfect way to do that area above that roof line, unless the topper itself matches there in design, and not just color). Not only cause its easier, but personally, I like that military style kind of look it gives. I would also debadge SIERRA and paint those bumpers either the same black, or same topper paint.

The top of the topper above the cab roof line, or the top of the entire vehicle to include the cab? There is no white in your vehicle, or gunmetal. That's going to stand out and look like clown makeup.

The rims and back design of the topper are what I'm calling gunmetal. maybe anthracite is closer.

By graphics I mean the small dark grey pattern on the top rear of the topper. Not like wizards and fire staffs LOL

Thanks for your thoughts.
Original Poster
wall-of-death
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wall-of-death [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 6:45pm

roorancher wrote:Or, you could just buy a minivan, Suburban, Yukon or Escalade instead........
I don't understand what you're trying to do either. And maybe it's me, but the topper makes the rear wheels look disproportionately small...

Ha, do you say this to everyone who gets a topper? I thought about it.

But I sometimes need to move motorcycles, and go crabbing with a bunch of smelly bait/gear so the bed is nice.
Original Poster
wall-of-death
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wall-of-death [OP] » Jan 13 2020, 6:48pm

adriver wrote:yeah definitely, like its a street tire with a smaller sidewall is killing it.

OP, whats your style? How do you use it, and are you planning on lowering it, raising it, or changing out those wheels or tires?

I get what you're saying. I hadn't thought about it too much but when they wear out I will probably get a bigger tire. I'm intending on using this to go camping in the national forests (offroad on forest access/fire roads), and use as a base camp for mountain biking on the weekends.
Original Poster
wall-of-death
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adriver » Jan 13 2020, 11:47pm

But if you did this,
wall-of-death wrote:Not like wizards and fire staffs LOL

Here:
wall-of-death wrote: I'm intending on using this to go camping in the national forests (offroad on forest access/fire roads), and use as a base camp for mountain biking on the weekends.

Potheads would find YOU. Or are you just too good for hairy hippie chicks?

Anthracite is darker than gunmetal. With the wear, anthracite is a really dark gray, almost what your black plastics and wheels are now or when they are a little dusty. I would think the blacks and anthracite are more the military style, a little more understated, and the gunmetal is a bit more shiny and trying to stand out, but not as flashy as chrome. If you haven't decided, then think of how you dress, what kind of personality you are, (but of course, this is just my opinion).
adriver
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wall-of-death [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 6:33am

adriver wrote:But if you did this,
wall-of-death wrote:Not like wizards and fire staffs LOL

Here:
wall-of-death wrote: I'm intending on using this to go camping in the national forests (offroad on forest access/fire roads), and use as a base camp for mountain biking on the weekends.

Potheads would find YOU. Or are you just too good for hairy hippie chicks?

Well you know how it goes, gas grass or ass....
Original Poster
wall-of-death
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exterior