jQuery not supported.

Hypertech Max 2.0

shift firmness
Forum rules
This is a forum for computer performance upgrades only. If what you are asking about is a physical accessory, it should not be in another forum category. Performance accessories such as intakes should be in "Engine" and when you want the growl, that should be in "Exhaust". Thank you for your understanding in keeping our forums clean and understandable.

Hypertech Max 2.0

Postby MASA [OP] » Sep 16 2017, 8:31am

I installed the Hypertech Max 2.0 on my 2012 Silverado 5.3. Can anyone tell me about the shift firmness? The read out has Stock, 25% 50%, 75% and 100%. Which do I need to tow a TT. I set tire size 32", premium gas, Gear 3.42. I'm just looking for the best setup for my truck.
Original Poster
MASA
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 1997
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Hypertech Max 2.0

Postby nealinator » Sep 16 2017, 4:56pm

I'm not familiar with the Hypertech tuner. Many on this site (myself included) have the Diablosport Intune. I have mine set to firm shifts but have backed off of the shift pressure on the upper hears under wide open throttle. The settings and selections are different between the tuners...so I do not know how that equates to the percentages on the Hypertech. I would start at 25% and increase over time and see how it goes.

What size/weight TT do you have? The 3.42 are not ideal for a very heavy one.

As far as towing with a tune, I would suggest using the T/H button on the shifter and allow the shifts to be controlled by that. The engine tune still stands, but the shifting will be reverted to appropriate for towing. Here is a thread which the resident tuner expert chimed in. Running canned Intune i1000 87 with cat back exhaust

This thread should probably be in the performance tuning section.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Gozzie » Sep 16 2017, 8:26pm

I have the 2.0 and run at 25% but without trailering. 25% didn't change it much and 50% was a little too much unloaded. It only takes a few minutes to change it so you should play with it a little. My thought process is the less it slips the longer the tranny will last but you don't want it to be too uncomfortable either.
Gozzie
2009 Silverado Extended Cab 4x4
5.3L flex fuel 4 Speed
Gozzie
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 6 Speed LTZ
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B » Sep 16 2017, 8:57pm

The 6l80 shift firmness is correctly calibrated by slightly decreasing commanded shift time, increasing shift pressure, and reducing the methods to reduce delivered engine torque during a shift. So let's talk about this. Decreasing the shift time will reduce the slip in the applying and releasing clutch packs. The next part of eliminating the slip factor is bringing enough pressure to the party so the commanded shift time can actually be met. The next factor is how much torque is pulled during the shift. If ignition timing is pulled and the injectors are cut off the shift will feel soft. Limiting the torque reduction goes hand in hand with shift firmness. It all effects how fast the torque is reapplied to the ground. Does your programmer have a torque management adjustment?
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Gozzie » Sep 16 2017, 11:02pm

No unfortunately it does not and there is no explanation of how they actually accomplish the settings.
Great explanation of the workings Mike, Thanks
Gozzie
2009 Silverado Extended Cab 4x4
5.3L flex fuel 4 Speed
Gozzie
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 6 Speed LTZ
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B » Sep 16 2017, 11:29pm

This is where the handheld tuners become a double edged sword. The end user settings are extremely fool proof and won't allow accidental catastrophic failure but don't let you nail down perfection unless custom calibration capability is a feature. By no means am I saying they are bad. They mitigate risk and cost. Full editing systems come with 0 instructions and cost 2 times as much but in the right hands can resolve just about any issues. Hand held tuners are by far the best way to go when stockish engines and transmissions are in play.
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby MASA [OP] » Sep 16 2017, 11:43pm

nealinator wrote:I'm not familiar with the Hypertech tuner. Many on this site (myself included) have the Diablosport Intune. I have mine set to firm shifts but have backed off of the shift pressure on the upper hears under wide open throttle. The settings and selections are different between the tuners...so I do not know how that equates to the percentages on the Hypertech. I would start at 25% and increase over time and see how it goes.

What size/weight TT do you have? The 3.42 are not ideal for a very heavy one.

As far as towing with a tune, I would suggest using the T/H button on the shifter and allow the shifts to be controlled by that. The engine tune still stands, but the shifting will be reverted to appropriate for towing. Here is a thread which the resident tuner expert chimed in. Running canned Intune i1000 87 with cat back exhaust

This thread should probably be in the performance tuning section.
Original Poster
MASA
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B » Sep 17 2017, 12:27am

The tow haul button changes TCC lock up calibrations and shift points to maximize torque utlization. This still utilizes the same torque reduction methods. The shift time and pressure is still the same in the handheld units from what I have seen and I have seen more than a few canned calibrations from handheld tuners. The tow haul button's settings can be calibrated to implement different strategies for shifting but this info would cost 10x what Lew charges to tune a truck!!!!!
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby BigBlueLB756 » Sep 17 2017, 1:34am

I set mine also at 25% and am very satisfied with the results. An increase of 2mpg came from somewhere, but I won't attribute it all to the increase in shift firmness.

Here are my chosen settings:

Regular fuel.
Rev limiter +100rpm
Top speed limiter -Stock.
Shift firmness +25%
Shift RPM: 1-2 +100
" " : 2-3 +100
" " : 3-4 +100
" " : 4-5 +100
" " : 5-6 +100
AFM/DOD : OFF

Try 'em.
The [email protected]$$ Modder
2013 GMC Sierra SLT CC Z60 4x4 Mineral Green Metallic-TUNED
[email protected]$$ Catch Can Equipped Mobil 1 Oil Cap Mod
32 DUMP CLUB MEMBER
"This is the skin God put me in.
You got a problem with it, take it up with Him."
BigBlueLB756
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 44
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: SLT Z60 4X4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby MASA [OP] » Sep 17 2017, 2:20am

Thanks for the info. I will try this.
Original Poster
MASA
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Gasser Tuning