jQuery not supported.

Slight surge with cruise and low rpm

Forum rules
This is a forum for computer performance upgrades only. If what you are asking about is a physical accessory, it should not be in another forum category. Performance accessories such as intakes should be in "Engine" and when you want the growl, that should be in "Exhaust". Thank you for your understanding in keeping our forums clean and understandable.

Slight surge with cruise and low rpm

Postby ckoehler21 [OP] » May 26 2021, 7:13pm

Hi All,

I recently installed a Diablo Sport I3 Platinum on my 2011 Silverado 5.3L with CAI. I have the gas mileage booster tune installed.

This happened during a single drive, I have not had it out since but I am continually mulling it over.

Driving at 70mph down the highway at about 1800-1900 rpms. The truck feels like it's skipping a beat? the RPMs jump up 300-400 RPMs for not even half a second, like it's going to downshift but then it just drops back to where it was. Experience this 7-8 times in a 20 mile trip. Drop a buddy off, engine stays running, cruising through town back home. Same thing happened at 35-40 mph without cruise.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Original Poster
ckoehler21
Topics: 2
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Slight surge with cruise and low rpm

Postby 00pooterSS » May 26 2021, 8:21pm

Possibly converter shudder. Hard to say. Remove the tune and see if it continues.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 1
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » May 26 2021, 9:01pm

Check your CAI for loose connections/clamps. It can be a source of vacuum leaks.

Better yet, put the stock air box back on. The CAI really doesn't do anything for you (except noise). The truck came with a CAI from the factory.
'13 4x4 LC9 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,980 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ckoehler21 [OP] » May 26 2021, 9:07pm

Thanks for the advice, when I bought the truck it had the CAI on it. I can't go back unless I go looking for one. It seems that I need to look for vacuum leaks around that intake. I'll start there. Thanks again.
Original Poster
ckoehler21
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » May 26 2021, 9:33pm

Is your CAI the type with oiled filter? If so, then I would strongly suggest a thorough cleaning of the MAF with appropriate cleaner. There may be a tiny film of oil from the CAI filter (if equipped with oiled filter) getting deposited onto the MAF, and that will make the engine run oddly.

As suggested, I would ditch the CAI anyway. Go to local junkyard and buy used OEM setup. That's what I did. It cost me $50.
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS » May 26 2021, 9:58pm

sounds like the AFM/DOD kicking on and off... the MPG Booster tune modifies the AFM/DOD settings to have it go into 4 cyl mode more and to stay in it longer... so you're right around the areas for it to be kicking on and off... I would just disable the AFM/DOD setting, since it doesn't really gain you much anyway... Or install the regular 87 Octane Tune...
06MonteSS
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 14 Camaro 2SS-RS LS3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ckoehler21 [OP] » Jun 02 2021, 7:17pm

Thanks for all the help guys.

I put on about 250 miles this weekend. The only thing I did was reinstall the MPG Booster tune. Before I did, I took a look at the settings for the tune that was in there. The only thing that stood out was that there was a * by the Torque Management option. It was still on but there was a star by it. I dropped in the MPG booster tune without clicking the settings to be sure nothing was changed. I had no issues at all.

I still plan to clean the MAF and take a look under the hood, but for now I think my problems are gone. Thanks again
Original Poster
ckoehler21
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 00pooterSS » Jun 02 2021, 8:28pm

GBSierraSLE wrote:Check your CAI for loose connections/clamps. It can be a source of vacuum leaks.

Better yet, put the stock air box back on. The CAI really doesn't do anything for you (except noise). The truck came with a CAI from the factory.

Countless dyno tests have shown power gains. The factory air intake is cold air, but also restrictive to flow.
2014 Sierra SLT. K&N intake, ported TB, SE headers, 3.5" exhaust, dropped 3.5/5.5 custom drop by me. 24's. Tuned by Sam.
00pooterSS
Topics: 1
Variant: SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jun 02 2021, 8:53pm

A few hp at 6,000 rpm? How much time do you spend at WOT? You won't notice any gain in 99.9% of every day driving. Looks cool, sounds good, but not worth the $$. If you are towing heavy and spending a lot of time in the upper rpm ranges, maybe.
'13 4x4 LC9 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,980 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Jun 02 2021, 9:11pm

00pooterSS wrote:Countless dyno tests have shown power gains. The factory air intake is cold air, but also restrictive to flow.

Got any links to show these gains on a stock Chevy truck? Maybe at highest rpm range, but even then I am guessing the gains are negligible, not worth the cost and hassle.

And then if you're using an oiled filter, you're gonna contaminate the MAF.
Chevy-SS
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Gasser Tuning