jQuery not supported.

What's my best option for my particular situation???

Forum rules
This is a forum for computer performance upgrades only. If what you are asking about is a physical accessory, it should not be in another forum category. Performance accessories such as intakes should be in "Engine" and when you want the growl, that should be in "Exhaust". Thank you for your understanding in keeping our forums clean and understandable.

What's my best option for my particular situation???

Postby passmore86 [OP] » Nov 10 2020, 3:45am

I've got 2000 Silverado 5.3 at 210k miles and still going. I drive this truck some during the week or weekend around but not an everyday driver. I recently started drag racing and am pulling a 20ft all steel open trailer with about a 2900-3000lb car. Engine and trans are both stock with a 3:42 gear. Definitely considering a 3:73 or 3:90 gear change for it over the winter but I'm interested in getting a programmable tuner or having someone local tune it for me. Kinda would like to stick to 87 gas but if the torque increase would be substantial enough to go to 93, then I'd definitely consider going that route.

I guess what I want to know is what would be best for my situation and are there other things I should look at doing to get it a bit more aggressive for towing(maybe even headers)? I don't want to lose the trucks practicality for normal street driving just to gain on the towing aspect, if possible. That being said, I wonder if buying a tuner for myself would be the way to go so I can switch back and forth? If that's the case what tuners should I be looking at? Have a buddy with a similar truck that has a Hypertech tuner but I don't know how good they are and what's best bang for the buck. Any feedback is appreciated, I'm not a LS guru, yet....! Thanks again
Attachments
truck and nova.jpg
Original Poster
passmore86
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: What's my best option for my particular situation???

Postby GrandPaJoeGrandPaJoe is online! » Nov 10 2020, 4:14am

you already have one thing to your advantage, lower profile tires. Lower gears would help it tow easier but raising rpm's, with 200k I'm on the fence, see what a few of the other guys think.
What are you running for trans cooling, stock or add on?

BTW, nice looking truck
GrandPaJoeGrandPaJoe is online!
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 3
Year: 2013
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 4.8 auto
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby passmore86 [OP] » Nov 10 2020, 4:24am

Thanks! I don't remember what size tire they are but they aren't low profiles, at least by my definition. My older wheel and tire combo definitely was a low profile setup and it rode awful. Put these factory snowflake wheels and tires on it and it changed it for the better. As far as turning it more rpms, it won't hurt the engine or wear it out any more, in my opinion. It'll just suffer on fuel mileage some, unless a tuner can compensate on that some. Trans cooler is stock. The main thing is that I'm trying to save the trans in it. I did a fluid and filter change in it in 2014 at around 160-170k miles. I have thought about putting another cooler on it just to be safe. Just worried about how much fluid I'd lose and putting in new fluid. Most transmission guys I talk to act like messing with the fluid at this mileage is asking for trouble...
Original Poster
passmore86
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MacQ » Nov 10 2020, 6:09am

If you are going to do a gear change, why not go for the 4.10? That's what I have for towing and it does good with my 5000-5500 travel trailer.

I alternate 87 & 90 octanes at each fuel up (usually fuel up around half a tank). Does well for me.

In my opinion, tuners aren't really warranted for this year truck.

I would add a tranny cooler. As for changing the tranny fluid, just drop the pan, change the filter, and replace what fluid that came out of the pan. I would not do a complete tranny flush on an older vehicle. Then drain the pan (and replace) every towing season or 25,000 miles.
MacQ
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby passmore86 [OP] » Nov 10 2020, 11:19pm

Just worried about fuel mileage with a 4:10 gear. I've thought about putting the same trans cooler from B&M (70274)on the truck that I have on the Nova. I'll search around some to see what I could put on it.
Original Poster
passmore86
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Nov 10 2020, 11:29pm

I'd go 4.10 all day long. I had them from factory on my 01 and they were awesome.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby passmore86 [OP] » Nov 15 2020, 3:53am

Bought a Trucool Max 40 trans cooler. Something that I needed to do anyway and had been thinking about for a bit now. Going to try and get that on next weekend, should be here Monday.

As far as a tuner, I'm looking between the Hypertech 32500 and Superchips f5 gm flashpak. I like the Hypertech a little better, even though they are very similar. The only thing that I like the Superchips over the Hypertech is that it has different tunes and Hypertech doesn't mention anything about gear correction for a 390 gear, which if I end up going to that gear, that wouldn't be good. So I'll take some more time to make a decision there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-GMC-Chevy ... 3027100637

Been thinking about doing this too ^^^. Truck needs exhaust redone, thought getting a set of headers and cold air intake would help wake it up some too. Anyone ever put a set of cheap Ebay headers on their truck/LS? I hate chinese stuff but it's hard to get away from that. Have heard some positive reviews before about ebay headers on LS racecars, hotrods, etc.
Original Poster
passmore86
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS » Nov 15 2020, 9:58pm

If you're going to do headers, exaust, cai work, you will need a custom tune for any of those... which you can't do with the hypertech or superchips tools.. . You'd want to get the Diablosport inTune i3 8245 Platinum tool... it has a couple different preset tunes that come on it, and you can get custom tuning done for it, by me...

So if you're interested, I can definitely get you hooked up with the inTune + Custom Tune package deal I offer, that includes my custom tuning at a discount... You can email me directly at: diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com

Thanks!
-Lew
06MonteSS
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 14 Camaro 2SS-RS LS3
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users

Postby passmore86 [OP] » Nov 18 2020, 1:43am

06MonteSS wrote:If you're going to do headers, exaust, cai work, you will need a custom tune for any of those... which you can't do with the hypertech or superchips tools.. . You'd want to get the Diablosport inTune i3 8245 Platinum tool... it has a couple different preset tunes that come on it, and you can get custom tuning done for it, by me...

So if you're interested, I can definitely get you hooked up with the inTune + Custom Tune package deal I offer, that includes my custom tuning at a discount... You can email me directly at: diablo DOT help AT gmail DOT com

Thanks!
-Lew

I'll consider it when the time gets closer. Right now I'm also trying to rebuild/upgrade my drag motor and the little bit I'm doing is going to cost me thousands... Nothing I do or like is cheap lol
Original Poster
passmore86
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Gasser Tuning