jQuery not supported.

Morimoto Hid One Light

One light with Auto Headlights

Morimoto Hid One Light

Postby Colestripes [OP] » Jan 11 2020, 5:44am

2014 Sierra Denali. I recently installed the Morimoto 35W Sierra kit, and anti flicker capacitor also.
If i remote start the truck only one headlight works. Not every time but most times. The same thing if it is dark outside and i unlock and start it same thing that one passenger headlight is off. I have to turn them off and back on to get it to fire up. I have done numerous searches various forums many different vehicle types. I see no definitive answer for it. Just they don't like auto on, no problems, or various bad parts to no issues. I have cleaned battery terminals, moved grounds around, swapped parts around, still that light does not work most of the time unless i shut them off and on. I contacted vendor and i hate to start sending stuff back and keep trying each new part any suggestions? Seems like this is actually a pretty prevalent problem after reading.
Original Poster
Colestripes
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Morimoto Hid One Light

Postby roorancher » Jan 11 2020, 1:58pm

Just a quick question......
When you installed the HIDs, did you install the "relay kit?"
I just purchased Diode Dynamics HIDs for my 2015, and they recommend a relay kit for the low beams, and one for the high beams. HIDs draw a lot of power on startup, and the relay kit(s) allow the bulbs to get their power direct from the battery.
Here's a link to a relay harness available from Morimoto. Its just a random link I pulled up, and may not be the correct one, but you should be able to use a relay harness from any reputable manufacturer.

http://www.morimotohid.com/hd-relay-h3.html

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Colestripes [OP] » Jan 12 2020, 7:57am

Yup. Morimoto relay kit installed. The only solution i have found is to disable the approach lighting and just flick them off and on till they both come on if one is out. Money well spent LOL. I did some reading before purchasing these and now I've been doing a lot more reading and I've come to the conclusion Morimoto sucks. Numerous complaints of this. No real solution. Im not gonna keep swapping out parts. I realize they are not a $1000 kit but damn they should work. Ive bought cheap tires and expensive tires they all held air. Rant over.
Original Poster
Colestripes
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Blue_Z71 » Jan 14 2020, 1:23pm

I had this exact issue with the aftermarket HIDs in my wife's Acura MDX. Grabbed myself some dielectric grease and lubed all of the HID connections (bulb connectors, relay connection, factory connectors). Haven't had a single issue since.

Hope this helps
Blue_Z71
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2004
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 04 Ext Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dRewville » Jan 14 2020, 2:49pm

one thing to consider, swap the ballast / bulbs to opposite headlights. see if the problem follows the bulbs or stays at the same light.
That will tell ya for sure.

If it follows the light, contact MM and see what theyll do. and report back to us so you can spread the word
dRewville
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 43
Extra Info: 6.0L 2500HD 4x4 4.10
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 14 2020, 3:09pm

Had the same issue with the xenon depot hids in my 2015. Turned out to be a loose connector on the truck harness. When it’s out, wiggle the connector. If it comes back on then there is your problem.

I fixed it by adding dc4 grease and a zip tie around the connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Colestripes [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 8:50pm

I have swapped everything and seems like it just does not like the auto on headlights at times and only on the passenger side. At the connections I used some silicone spray on the seals. Have to pick up some die electric grease. Ive wondered about some of the connections. Some seem a little tighter than others. Maybe adding two signal wires to the relay?? I’ll report back.
Original Poster
Colestripes
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 14 2020, 9:01pm

If you swapped everything and it stays on the same side then it’s the truck side connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Blue_Z71 » Jan 14 2020, 11:14pm

I kick myself for not using the dielectric grease upon initial installation. It is protective of the connection and keeps just about everything out.

I was surprised to find evidence of water better the relay and the connection plug.

Haven't had any issues since I greased em up.

Hope this is as simple of a fix as it was for me.
Blue_Z71
Topics: 3
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 04 Ext Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to HID/LED Lighting