jQuery not supported.

Wiring truck cap 3rd brake light

Best way to wire an LED truck cap 3rd brake to a 2016 Sierra SLT with LED tail lights

Re: Wiring truck cap 3rd brake light

Postby Gemmm43 » May 23 2018, 6:18pm

Wow, I could use a little help with this subject trying to install a sport bar OEM that I only have the pig tail off the bar to under the cab but where do I tie it in. Would prefer plug it into sealed connectors not spices disable the cabs and animate the bars CHMSL. you seem to have some skill in this department.... I, I do not.......

"Those get wired into your CHMSL wire.
If you cant find that, just ask."

I install toppers, truck accessories, crap, all day. Its what i do for a living.[/quote]
Gemmm43
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AliBaba » Dec 14 2018, 9:33am

Tungsten2014 wrote:So I wired my brake light in today and saw a lot of folks were having issues so I figured I would provide a write up.
-Remove the drivers side taillight and set it out of the way.
- Second pull the rubber grommet from the drivers side upper bed. Make a small cut to run your cap wires through.
-third I added a ring terminal and grounded the light behind the taillight.
-4th I extended the power wire and ran it in a loom under the bed following the same path as the taillight harness.
-here is the tricky part as I didn't want to splice into the factory harness and do not have the bed lighting kit.
-get the pin terminal from chevy. (Attached it the part number) then remove the dummy plug chevy put on the X6 connector. Drill out the connector @ pin 1 to fit the pin in. Seal it up and plug back into the X6 connector. Zip tie your new wire up with the other harness and your install is complete. Enjoy your new working brake light. Without having to splice into the factory pigtail.

You're a life saver for finding this UpFitter bulletin for me. My question is where the heck did you get those 2 parts?
Thanks
AliBaba
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mtushmoo » Dec 15 2018, 12:15pm

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B07C488SBN

Connector and harness for Bed/cargo lights. brake light and ground for 2016 and newer.
mtushmoo
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: WT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AliBaba » Dec 16 2018, 8:13am

I’ve got a 15 but do have the under bed lights already. Just need that rubber seal and terminal.
AliBaba
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AliBaba » Dec 20 2018, 1:05am

GOT IT and what a breeze that was to install. I actually looked up dealers that do service trucks and called their parts department. They mailed me 2 terminals and 2 seals (In case i mess up) for free and said "Merry Christmas"

Thanks guys.
AliBaba
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Desertdog » Aug 01 2019, 5:33pm

Question for those who bought and installed the TE pins #968855. Instead of using the dummy socket and drilling it out I ordered a couple of the #2109441-2 plugs with the seals and pins that were listed on the upfitters guide (should have them tomorrow).

I doubt anyone went out and bought the $400 crimp tool. How did you crimp them, punch and hammer, pliers? I have an actual TE crimper for the older straight pins, it's a different crimp but may work to start folding the tabs over.
Desertdog
Topics: 1
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jlpruitt57 » Sep 22 2019, 3:28am

Installed led 3rd brake light on a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD and cargo lights stay on. I saw another post about cutting a yellow wire but I don’t have one. Looks like a resistor is attached and that gets super hot. Any ideas on what is wrong?
Jlpruitt57
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500 HD 8.1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby eddio » Oct 01 2019, 12:31am

Q: I just purchased a 2012 Sierra. Can I expect to follow the same instruction provided to wire in the 3rd brake light for my cap?

I did some scoping underneath and seem to have the Junction Block X63A. I should be looking at the blue plug, I believe.
I appreciate any feedback provided.

thank you

x6.jpeg
2012 Sierra X63A?
eddio
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to HID/LED Lighting