jQuery not supported.

Yellow fog light LEDs

Re: Yellow fog light LEDs

Postby SierraHarley [OP] » Jul 18 2021, 4:02am

Went out tonight to see where my stock fog lights were positioned so I can try and get the new ones in approximately the same spot.
Hard to find somewhere around here to measure and adjust without bothering anyone or them bothering me. I found a spot behind the Walgreens. Ground was level and surprisingly when I backed away from the wall and back tires hit the curb at the end, my front end was maybe 24.5 feet from the wall which is good enough.
So I measured up to the middle of my fog lights and they are at about 25.5" off the ground. When I measured where the top of the fog lights hit the wall it was at about 22.5". I heard they should be about 4" lower so that is right in the ball park. I've never messed with the adjustment on them but I did raise the front 2" when I leveled it. Luckily it is easy to measure because they were at the top of the 3 rows of vertical bricks.
I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the beam pattern and how wide the stock 5202 halogen bulbs are.

IMG_E3789.JPG

17x9 +12 Vision Manic* BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab 2" level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* Morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 LED + XB LED fogs* E2 catch can

Pro Grade or nothin'
Original Poster
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby steelgreenz71 » Jul 18 2021, 12:37pm

That’s a pretty impressive beam pattern for stock fog lamps. My XB’s look pretty similar to your stocks. I find that they do an excellent job at providing additional light on the sides of the road. I turn them on in rural areas even if there’s no adverse weather as to help to see the critters. I’ve had them now for a few years so I can’t recall exactly how the beam pattern looked from the stock fog lamps on my ‘11 Silverado but I don’t think they were anywhere near as good as yours.
2011 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Bilstein 5100 level, Zone add a leaf rear
18 X 9 + 18 Vision Nemesis wheels in Gunmetal
LT 275/65R18 BFG KO2's
Morimoto XB headlamps & XB fog lamps
Corsa sport dual rear exit exhaust
Airaid MIT intake tube
Moroso catch can
Dynavin N7Pro
Diablosport tune
steelgreenz71
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Extended cab 5.3 LT2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley [OP] » Jul 21 2021, 1:41am

If you do change them to yellow can you post before and after shots of the light output and then also your impressions of driving in bad weather with them yellow vs them being white?

Thanks

17x9 +12 Vision Manic* BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab 2" level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* Morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 LED + XB LED fogs* E2 catch can

Pro Grade or nothin'
Original Poster
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby steelgreenz71 » Jul 21 2021, 12:11pm

I’ll definitely post up some pics if I go yellow. I’ve been going back and forth about changing them. As stated I really like how they provide additional light to the sides of the road and the yellow color may reduce that. I primarily use the truck for trips from SE PA to the NC OBX a few times per year driving at night and the additional light they provide really helps.
LT 275/65R18 BFG KO2's
Airaid MIT intake tube
Moroso catch can
Dynavin N7Pro
Diablosport tune
steelgreenz71
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley [OP] » Jul 22 2021, 12:56am

Got the fog lights in the mail today so after work I went and popped one of the stock ones off and popped the new one in. Easy access behind the bumper to get the plug off and squeeze the one bottom tab in to push it towards the front and through the hole but the last 2 snap in plastic studs were a bitch. I was scared to break anything so I wasn't trying to use all my Thor like strength, I was more gentle like a Texan on broke back mountain but after a little tugging I got it to pop off.
I had to transfer the adjustment screw to the new one. I tried putting the adjustment screw in about the same amount of turns that it was in the old assembly and I got it pretty close. We'll see how far it is off when I have to adjust them.
Popping the new one back in was pretty easy. I saw on a video they put grease back on the little studs that pop back in but I forgot to do that but no big deal as it went back in fairly easy. I guess that Thor strength was good afterall. :D

Anyways I just did one for now so I can see how it looks on the wall at night compared to the stock one. Plus its supposed to rain in a little while so I will do the other one tomorrow.

IMG_3813 edit 2.jpg

IMG_3814 edit 2.jpg

I can tell already the new ones are way brighter. I held my arm in the path of both lights maybe 10 - 15 feet away in the daylight and I could see the line of light from the new fog light on my arm but not from the old fog light.

Pro Grade or nothin'
Original Poster
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby steelgreenz71 » Jul 22 2021, 2:14am

That new fog lamp looks much better on your truck than the stock one.
LT 275/65R18 BFG KO2's
Airaid MIT intake tube
Moroso catch can
Dynavin N7Pro
Diablosport tune
steelgreenz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley [OP] » Jul 22 2021, 2:55am

Yea I think so too. The darker tint looks great with black. I am seriously contemplating buying the Morimoto XB headlights now although the price is pretty outrageous. :lol:

I drove it over to the back of Walgreens and put the fog lights up on the wall and they are adjusted a little high.

old halogen on the left and LED on the right side.

fogs halogen left vs LED right.jpg

Pro Grade or nothin'
Original Poster
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby steelgreenz71 » Jul 22 2021, 3:07am

Led beam pattern looks much better. I’m very happy with my Morimoto XB headlamps. Yes, the price is outrageous but they are worth it.
Attachments
BB4838A2-C061-4CF6-BF93-0DBFB8EBE8A6.jpeg
Low beam on road
48BA6F29-6C28-40F4-90DB-4872C560EB19.jpeg
High beam on road
EB0B19DD-C38F-4ECF-BB69-1420AB5F56B4.jpeg
Low beam pattern
6392AF3F-BA71-49FD-9E79-C2C1049642A2.jpeg
High beam pattern
4907290C-645E-4512-A3FE-FC2BD8229AFC.jpeg
On truck
LT 275/65R18 BFG KO2's
Airaid MIT intake tube
Moroso catch can
Dynavin N7Pro
Diablosport tune
steelgreenz71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley [OP] » Jul 22 2021, 3:17am

Damn I didn't know you had those. Lucky bastage.

I was going to start making 3 truck payments a month on my truck to get it paid off within a year but I may just make one payment for 2 months and snag those headlights...
I can always go back to 3 payments a month after that right? ;)

I wish you could order them with the smoked reflectors already installed. I see you can pay $30 to get them but then you have to open up the headlight, voiding the warranty, and install them yourself. Hell no.

Pro Grade or nothin'
Original Poster
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby steelgreenz71 » Jul 22 2021, 3:39am

Mine came with the smoked reflectors. There’s an amber LED behind them when lit. The only thing I don’t like about mine is that the DRL ribbon and the headlamp are always on in DRL mode. I wish I could change them to only run the ribbon when the actual headlamp is not needed. I have them installed exactly to their specs but can’t get it to change. I hear you on the payments, I’ve had the truck paid off a few years now but am aggressively working toward getting the wife’s Grand Cherokee paid off.
LT 275/65R18 BFG KO2's
Airaid MIT intake tube
Moroso catch can
Dynavin N7Pro
Diablosport tune
steelgreenz71
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to HID/LED Lighting