jQuery not supported.

How-To Build A Simple Folding Bed Divider

Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How-To Build A Simple Folding Bed Divider

Postby GBSierraSLE [OP] » Sep 08 2020, 7:10pm

I admit it, I seldom use my truck for “truck stuff”. I plow snow with it and (occasionally) haul things in the bed but it’s usually clean lumber, hardware, fertilizer, gas cans, tools, groceries, etc. (I have a CarMate trailer for hauling dirty stuff.) I guess my truck is my mid-life-crisis, little-red-sportscar... with a really big trunk.

Stuff slides around in the bed, even with the BedRug. So I decided to build a small divider to keep stuff in place. It’s simple little project that has proven very handy. Not for everybody but works great for me. Only simple tools needed; drill, screwdriver, saw, tape measure and a staple gun if you do the fabric. A little wood, 5 hinges, and one barrel bolt. I’d guess it was about an hour to build the divider and another 90 minutes to cover it in the fabric. Grand total cost was about $45.00 including $12 for the fabric covering.

Got out my DeWalt job-site table saw (I use it a lot) and did a lay-out of how I wanted to build this thing. I measured the width of the bed right behind the wheel tubs and at the tailgate opening. I used a 1x6” at the wheel tubs and 1x4” at the tailgate. I taper cut the center dividers to line-up with the cross boards.
Bed Divider Rack (1).JPG

Bed Divider Rack (2).JPG

Bed Divider Rack (5).JPG

I laid out where I wanted the dividers and attached them with hinges. The hinges are on opposite sides of each end of the dividers so the unit can be folded when not in use. The center divider is hinged at one end and held in place with a small barrel bolt at the other. It can fold out of the way to make a larger center opening for larger items.
Bed Divider Rack (9).JPG

Bed Divider Rack (10).JPG

Never one to leave something looking ‘unfinished’, I had my wife get me some rip-stop “duck” cloth and I covered the divider with the stuff.
Bed Divider Rack (14).JPG

Bed Divider Rack (15).JPG

I’ve carried 4x8’ sheets of plywood, a couple dozen 6’ fence pickets, etc., in the bed with the divider in place. It actually makes loading and unloading larger items easier than sliding it on the BedRug. The divider makes a nice compartment for smaller items to ride under the heavier stuff without getting crushed. And nothing slides around in the bed.
Folded, the divider is only about 4” thick. It’s simple to just lift it out of the bed and fold it and stand it in a corner when not needed.
Bed Divider Rack (12).JPG
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Bought new. 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla Touring, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Raptor, Boss Sport Duty plow, SL1 LED's. 20,820 mi
Original Poster
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: How To Build A Simple Folding Bed Divider

Postby tsuintx » Sep 08 2020, 7:19pm

That's pretty cool. :cool: Especially since it's collapsible like that.
2016 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab
2010 Tahoe LT2
2012 BMW K1600GTL Premium
tsuintx
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 4x4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Sep 08 2020, 7:27pm

Pretty slick there, Gary... The collapsing function sets it apart from the basic 2x6 divider in the bed slots.. which is a pain in the ass to remove with a tonneau cover in place....

But next time, route out a resting spot for the hinges...make it fold full flat...lol
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 178
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE [OP] » Sep 08 2020, 7:28pm

I thought about doing that but just kept it simple. :lol: It's almost flat as it is.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Bought new. 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla Touring, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Raptor, Boss Sport Duty plow, SL1 LED's. 20,820 mi
Original Poster
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: How-To Build A Simple Folding Bed Divider

Postby WpgMic » Sep 08 2020, 8:34pm

Excellent little project. I expect one will appear in my box shortly.
Thanks!
[gallery]https://www.silveradosierra.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=87083&image_id=390457[/gallery]
WpgMic
Topics: 2
Year: 2016
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby judsonlimited » Sep 08 2020, 8:43pm

Looks good

"CritterGitter: I'm just baffled at the amount of dumb worthless douchebaggery I see being done to these good trucks"

JEFFREY EPSTEIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
judsonlimited
Topics: 139
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Sep 08 2020, 10:55pm

Nicely done Gary! I am a little sad to see old asphalt in the picture of the table saw tbough....haha!
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain188,585 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE [OP] » Sep 08 2020, 11:20pm

Yep, I think I started this the day before the asphalt was replaced.
Original Poster
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Return to How-To Articles