jQuery not supported.

How to Change Rear Differential Fluid

Changing diff lube yourself is easy
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Re: How to Change Rear Differential Fluid

Postby donkeyfarmer » Nov 03 2019, 1:36am

esox07 wrote:Dex VI should be backward compatible with all the other Dexron ATF's. . . . .

I would think that exact thing myself, too! But if that is so, why wouldn't Chevy know it when they wrote the manual to say that, while the auto trans gets Dex VI, the 2006 manual transfer case gets Dex III. They don't say Dex III or higher, There must be some reason they don't include Dex VI as an option for the manual transfer case. I suppose if I chose a brand that explicitly says it meets Dex III and Dex VI standards I could use it in both places.
donkeyfarmer
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4 4.8L Ext.Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Nov 03 2019, 1:50am

I understand your point. Not sure why GM did it that way with the manual. It was probably about the time they came our with Dex VI.

Anyway, check this out from the Valvoline Dex VI web page: https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/ ... ron-vi-atf
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 280
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby esox07 » Nov 03 2019, 1:53am

Also, from the AC-Delco Dex VI web page which is the stuff GM uses in the factory.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

ACDelco DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid is the most recent release in the well-established DEXRON series of automotive transmission fluids. It provides consistent shift performance, even in extreme conditions. DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following requirements: fully licensed and approved by GM, recommended for use in GM transmissions model year 2006 and newer calling for DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (replaces DEXRON-III and DEXRON-II(E), or recommended for any other vehicle manufacturer that calls for DEXRON-VI, III, or II(E). ACDelco DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid is not for use in CVT (Continuously Variable Transmissions) or DCT (Dual Clutch Transmissions) which require specialized fluids.

FAQs
Can I use DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid as a replacement for a previous DEXRON transmission fluid?

Yes, DEXRON-VI fluid can be used on any vehicle type that calls for DEXRON transmission fluid.
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby esox07 » Nov 03 2019, 2:20am

Donkeyfarmer: Since you have a 2006, this probably applies to you. It sounds like you maybe should be using Dex III in your transfer case:

INFORMATION
Bulletin No.: 04-07-30-037E
Date: April 07, 2011
Subject: Release of DEXRON(R)-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)
Models:
2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2008 HUMMER H2
2006-2008 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saturn Relay
2005 and Prior Saturn L-Series
2005-2007 Saturn ION
2005-2008 Saturn VUE with 4T45-E
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X Except 2008 and Prior Chevrolet Aveo, Equinox
Except 2006 and Prior Chevrolet Epica
Except 2007 and Prior Chevrolet Optra
Except 2008 and Prior Pontiac Torrent, Vibe, Wave
Except 2003-2005 Saturn ION with CVT or AF23 Only
Except 1991-2002 Saturn S-Series
Except 2008 and Prior Saturn VUE with CVT, AF33 or 5AT (MJ7/MJ8) Transmission Only
Except 2008 Saturn Astra Attention:
DEXRON(R)-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is the only approved fluid for warranty repairs for General Motors transmissions/transaxles requiring DEXRON(R)-III and/or prior DEXRON(R) transmission fluids. Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-037D (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle). MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS / TRANSFER CASES and POWER STEERING
The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases. Any vehicle that previously required DEXRON(R)-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use P/N 88861800. This fluid is labeled Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. Some manual transmissions and transfer cases require a different fluid. Appropriate references should be checked when servicing any of these components.
Power Steering Systems should now use P/N 9985010 labeled Power Steering Fluid.
Consult the Parts Catalog, Owner's Manual, or Service Information (SI) for fluid recommendations.
Some of our customers and/or General Motors dealerships/Saturn Retailers may have some concerns with DEXRON(R)-VI and DEXRON(R)-III Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and transmission warranty claims. DEXRON(R)-VI is the only approved fluid for warranty repairs for General Motors transmissions/transaxles requiring DEXRON(R)-III and/or prior DEXRON(R) transmission fluids (except as noted above). Please remember that the clean oil reservoirs of the J-45096 - Flushing and Flow Tester machine should be purged of DEXRON(R)-III and filled with DEXRON(R)-VI for testing, flushing or filling General Motors transmissions/transaxles (except as noted above).
DEXRON(R)-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission/transaxle in place of DEXRON(R)-III (i.e. topping off the fluid in the event of a repair or fluid change). DEXRON(R)-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRON(R) for use in automatic transmissions/transaxles.
DEXRON(R)-VI ATF
General Motors Powertrain has upgraded to DEXRON(R)-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle production.
Current and prior automatic transmission models that had used DEXRON(R)-III must now only use DEXRON(R)-VI.
All 2006 and future model transmissions that use DEXRON(R)-VI are to be serviced ONLY with DEXRON(R)-VI fluid.
DEXRON(R)-VI is an improvement over DEXRON(R)-III in the following areas:
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby donkeyfarmer » Nov 04 2019, 4:02am

After my previous post I found some info online telling about how Dex VI was supposed to replace all previous versions of Dexron similar to what was posted here after that post of mine, But I also finally found a description of a multi make compatible synthetic atf that listed Dex III-H as one of the requirements it met. Dex-III with the H specification is what the manual calls for in my transfer case. I think it was the the only Dex III fluid I found available locally that mentions the H. Kind of expensive, but I only need two quarts, and it's cheaper if I put it in myself rather than have it put in.
donkeyfarmer
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Nov 04 2019, 1:34pm

DEXRON-VI was designed to be backward compatible so it can be used in all Hydramatic transmissions that called for DEXRON-III earlier DEXRON specifications.

Don't use it in manual transmissions and transfer cases that called for Dexron III. GM did not do away with Dexron III, they just renamed it; Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 236
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby donkeyfarmer » Nov 04 2019, 8:07pm

Z15 wrote:DEXRON-VI was designed to be backward compatible so it can be used in all Hydramatic transmissions that called for DEXRON-III earlier DEXRON specifications.

Don't use it in manual transmissions and transfer cases that called for Dexron III. GM did not do away with Dexron III, they just renamed it; Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid.

Z15, your 2nd paragraph goes right to the issue for my truck, since it has a manual transfer case calling for Dexron III-H. Some folks can use the same ATF in transfer case and auto trans, but in my case I can't. Not a big deal, though.

I just took a look at the condition of my transfer case drain and fill plugs. They look nice and clean, with no corrosion or leaking around either--very unlike the drain and fill plugs on my front differential, which look like they haven't been budged in a very long time. I gave both sets of plugs a squirt of Deep Creep, but it was mainly the differential plugs that looked like they really might need it.
donkeyfarmer
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to How-To Articles