jQuery not supported.

How-To Delete Active Grill Shutters 2017-19LD

Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How-To Delete Active Grill Shutters 2017-19LD

Postby 19trax95 [OP] » Jun 09 2019, 3:09am

I recently did some experiments with the active shutters on my 2017 Silverado. My goal was to add a light bar behind the grill. There is not much info on this other than failed attempts and guys saying they got it but then never hearing from them again.

So I wanted to share what I did to get these shutters deleted without any check engine light and codes setting.

Starting off, you will need the ability to have a tune made. I have Lew tunes so he was able to do this for me no problem. I'd imagine pretty much any custom tuner should be able to do the same.

Now into the actual delete.

1. Remove the grill. In my case the 2016+ Silverados are easy to remove. The sierras are a little more involved. There are multiple videos on YouTube showing how to do either style.

2. Disconnect your battery. I didn't do this, but it's a good practice anytime your working with wiring.

3. Remove the bolts that hold the shutter assembly to the radiator ducting. You can also unplug the connector at this point. The motor for the shutters and the ambient temp sensor are on the same harness.

4. Carefully pop the connecting bars off the upper shutters near the motor. A flat blade screwdriver works good for this. It doesnt take much force. Just get under them and pop them off the prongs.

5. Remove the two main shutters that link into the motor. There is a slide clip that holds the motor in. Remove this as well. Now your motor will come out of the assembly.

6. Remove the harness from the shutter assembly. You will also want to remove the temp sensor. Set the shutters aside as you are done with them for now.

7. This is where it gets a little tricky, you need to find something that will fit inside the splines of the motor, that will be able to act as a limiting device. I found a 5/16", or 8mm Allen key actually fit very nicely and had a slight press fit to hold it in. I'm sure there are other/better things to use, but that's what I could come up with in a pinch.

8. Make a bracket to hold the motor. I used some aluminum strapping I had laying around. I bent it to fit the shape of the motor and basically lock it into an enclosure. You will want somthing that will be able to stand up to some heat as well as force since the motor will still be running.

9. Mount the bracket and motor on the cross bar as shown in the picture. Make sure that your rod for the motor isn't hitting anything other than the walls of that cross bar. I have a scan tool that I used to activate the motor in either direction, but as long as it clears on one side, it should be good to go. Do NOT turn the motor by hand. The motor has no stops built into it, and it finds the endpoints each time it moves. This is why we needed that Allen key in there. Otherwise the motor will just keep spinning.

10. Mount your temp sensor. There is a spot for it on the right side support bar in front of the radiator. You may need to extend your wiring for it depending on how you run it. I had to add about 6 inches to the harness.

11. You can run the truck at this point and the motor will function and cycle just as if it was moving the shutters. However, you will get a code P059F for shutter performance. I was not able to figure how to solve this issue with adjustments to the travel or anything, so this is where the tune comes in. I drove the truck for around a week with this code and it is the only one that will set. So it doesn't seem to affect anything else. I had Lew simply disable this code, P059F, so it will no longer set.

12. Now your delete is done and your shutters are out of the way to put a light bar, intercooler if your boosted or what have you.

I still plan on making a better bracket for the motor. It's totally hidden by the covers but I know its there so I'll build something nicer one of these days. But it works for now.

If there are any questions, which I'm sure there will be since it's a fairly involved project, feel free to post them up and I'll do my best to help you out.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

https://youtu.be/9qq7WWwVSxk
Original Poster
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 138
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: How-To Delete Active Grill Shutters 2017-19LD

Postby txtimetravler » Jun 09 2019, 4:21am

Thanks for the write up. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txtimetravler
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2018
Extra Info: Ltz
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Jun 09 2019, 8:03pm

Very nice write up Eric ..... glad I don't have to to worry about this..lol
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 181
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 [OP] » Jun 09 2019, 8:09pm

Yeah I'm hoping that this will allow guys to open up their choice of mods they can do. Those shutters really clutter up the area behind the grill. It's a nice big spot too so I can definitely see room for a charge air cooler for the boosted guys going in this spot as well.

It's a little rigged up but with time and some thought it can be a nice a clean delete. Granted once the truck is together you domt see any of it, but I know for me, it bugs me knowing that there is some ugly hidden Haha.
Original Poster
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 [OP] » Jun 09 2019, 10:04pm

Thread cleaned. Not having arguments in a how to. Anyone wishes to discus or argue PM me or make a thread in off topic
Original Poster
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Wakko » Aug 28 2019, 6:21am

Other than assisting warmup, does the deletion of these shutters have any other effects?
Wakko
First Responder
First Responder
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 84
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Red Hot - NOS
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Aug 29 2019, 2:26pm

I think they were designed to be more aerodynamic...so at higher speeds, air can get around them via other baffles and whatnot, to keep temps down...but in city traffic, they are open to allow maximum airflow to keep it cool...if closed, air goes around, not through, which probably gives these trucks anywhere from .02, to .01 more MPGs...
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 181
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 [OP] » Aug 30 2019, 2:02am

Yeah I think they are mainly for aerodynamics, and the side effect is they can help warm up faster.

But I noticed zero change between having them on, and having them off. Granted I threw aerodynamics out the window with the lift haha. But even on a stock, or even lowered truck, I highly doubt they would gain you even a half of a mpg difference.
Original Poster
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Level69 » Aug 31 2019, 3:32pm

I agree, I think Chevy did this to squeeze out as much MPG as possible for reasons we all know. I notice a temp spike when mine close when driving on the highway. In city driving my temp on the gauge sits at just a sliver below the 210 mark once at normal engine temp. Once I reach about 72-75 mph on the highway the shutters close and the engine temp goes up to about 220 then when I slow down to below 70 the shutters open and the temp goes back down to just a sliver under the 210 mark. 2018 Z71 5.3L Silverado with the 6L80 trans (complete with the chevy "CLUNK", at no extra charge). Wish there was a way to just disconnect them without setting a engine code or a tune that would disable them. Im in the south so having them closed in the winter to help engine warm up isn't necessary for me.
Level69
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 4x4 5.3 L 6sp tr
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mjrchabot » Sep 01 2019, 3:32am

Level69 wrote:I agree, I think Chevy did this to squeeze out as much MPG as possible for reasons we all know. I notice a temp spike when mine close when driving on the highway. In city driving my temp on the gauge sits at just a sliver below the 210 mark once at normal engine temp. Once I reach about 72-75 mph on the highway the shutters close and the engine temp goes up to about 220 then when I slow down to below 70 the shutters open and the temp goes back down to just a sliver under the 210 mark. 2018 Z71 5.3L Silverado with the 6L80 trans (complete with the chevy "CLUNK", at no extra charge). Wish there was a way to just disconnect them without setting a engine code or a tune that would disable them. Im in the south so having them closed in the winter to help engine warm up isn't necessary for me.

If I recall reading an article about the active shutters, they close at 55mph, not 70mph. I tried finding it but was unsuccessful, maybe it was in the owner manual.
I believe they will also close during the winter during remote start to keep the heat in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjrchabot
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Variant: Hybrid
Extra Info: LT 5.3 eAssist 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users