jQuery not supported.

How-To fix GMT 900 Leaf Spring Clunk

Anyone can do it!
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How-To fix GMT 900 Leaf Spring Clunk

Postby 6Sixathome [OP] » Dec 18 2013, 7:20pm

While doing a Google search " why do my Silverado leaf springs clunk", I used Silverado because I thought the chances of getting a Website would be easier than using Sierra. I'm sure this fix will work on other vehicles as well, mine just happens to be a GMT 900. Now I have to give credit to RWD on a different forum who had the fix, I'm just doing a how-to using his advice (we talked via email) and me doing the job myself with what worked for me. My truck would clunk turning on an incline like a driveway, etc.
Things needed:
Floor jack or equivalent.
1/16" think rubber or close to it.
Flat screwdriver or pry bar.
Rubber mallet or small hammer to tap the screwdriver or pry bar in between the spring pack.
Cost: under $5.00 for sure, my cost was $1.00 plus tax.

1. First get some thin sheet rubber, maybe 1/16" thick. RWD used a mountain bike tube. Then cut (I used regular household scissors) 4 pieces 2- 1/4" X 6" and 4 pieces 2-1/4" X 2" see first two pics.
2. Raise the rear of the truck, I used two floor jacks. You want to raise it enough to take pressure off of the spring pack and wedge a screwdriver (at the front of the spring first) between the two springs to get space for one 6" piece of rubber that you already cut. Push the rubber piece up to the front clamp then while the screwdriver is still wedged, pry the springs apart enough to get one of the 2" pieces of rubber on top of the plastic spring divider and put one 2" rubber piece on the bottom of the plastic piece that the clamp holds in place. See next four pics.
3. Now move the rear of the springs and wedge the screwdriver between the spring pack, then install one 6" piece between the springs with the rubber piece pushed as far back towards the rear of the spring as possible. See the last two pics.
4. Move to the other side and repeat. When the truck is lowered the spring should hold the rubber in place, I had to tweak one piece on mine to get a better fit. I'm sure all springs are different. Next lower the truck and go for a test run :D .

That's all there is to it and it took me less than 30 minutes to get the rubber cut, the truck jacked up and the job done. I went for a test run over some inclines to make the springs flex and didn't hear any clunks 8-) . Anyone can do this, you don't need two floor jacks like I used, it can be done with one jack or the jack that came with your truck. I'm glad I did the job and you will be too.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Image Bilstein 5100's, Signal mirrors, ADVENT OGM1, CS-GMTR1B rear view camera,
BBP tuned, AIRAID Jr. with SynthaMax Dry Filter, RX Catch Can, 2014 SIERRA 18" Z71 wheels
Original Poster
6Sixathome
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 66
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: CC 1500 5.3 V8 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: How-To fix GMT 900 Leaf Spring Clunk

Postby jcitro » Jan 06 2014, 3:55am

amazing cant wait to do this !!my parking spot is 4 stories up in my building and it was driving me crazy
jcitro
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: ext cab 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Jan 09 2014, 8:17pm

This is great! I'll be doing this myself soon enough.

When you say, raise the rear to take the weight of the spring pack...about how far up did you go? And just screwdriver can pry them apart like that?...
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 6Sixathome [OP] » Jan 10 2014, 2:33am

Raise it enough to take the pressure off the spring pack, then tap the screwdriver in between the springs just enough to slip the piece of black rubber between the spring pack, you may have to double the thickness of the sheet rubber depending on the gap between the springs. Good luck.
Image Bilstein 5100's, Signal mirrors, ADVENT OGM1, CS-GMTR1B rear view camera,
BBP tuned, AIRAID Jr. with SynthaMax Dry Filter, RX Catch Can, 2014 SIERRA 18" Z71 wheels
Original Poster
6Sixathome
Topics: 66
Extra Info: CC 1500 5.3 V8 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby aldin12 » May 22 2014, 11:59pm

I did this yestearday because my truck was driving me insane with all the clunking and creaking.It was so easy to do and I was like OMG I have a truck with no noises anymore. Thanks for the tip 8-)
aldin12
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DrLev99 » Jun 06 2016, 1:41am

Just did this to my 2014 Sierra. It had been clunking and creaking for almost 3 years. I had to vary my methods from above, but in the end, no more noise..it's like a miracle!

I used thicker rubber (3/16") and shorter pieces, 1/16" was way too thin for my situation. I only placed the pieces at the far front and far ends of the springs...didn't do the smaller 2" pieces because I couldn't pry springs apart in that tight area. But what I did do still worked like a charm...cheap and easy fix. I just hope the rubber stays in place. Thanks for the DIY!
DrLev99
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2014
Extra Info: All-Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby OlWhiskey » Dec 19 2016, 4:10pm

When I sit down in my truck I hear a clunk coming from the rear when the suspension depresses. I believe it's from my leaf springs and am going to try this, thanks for the tip. I'm hoping it's not play in the leaf springs bushing or shackles though. Although the rear shackles are both within a year or 2 old. I doubt it's my Bilstein shocks causing the noise, but that could also be the cause.
OlWhiskey
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 67
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Eddie 70 » Dec 22 2016, 11:42pm

Cool idea. Where did you guys come up with the rubber? I see someone used a bicycle innertube. Any other places?
Eddie 70
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby eppyfish1 » Jan 10 2017, 5:40am

this is on my to do list when it warms up. thanks
eppyfish1
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 SLT 4x4 Crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bobaloo22 » Mar 09 2017, 9:24pm

I did this with rubber gasket material and it works like a charm!

Bob
Bobaloo22
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 4x4 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles