jQuery not supported.

How-To: Flush Hydroboost System

Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How-To: Flush Hydroboost System

Postby 19trax95 [OP] » May 30 2020, 10:04pm

I intend this write up to be simple, and to the point.

I will show how to flush the old, often neglected, power steering fluid that is used for the trucks with the Hydroboost braking systems.

This will replace all your old fluid, as well as help to flush and crud that may have built up in the system.

Tools needed:
-Hose pinch pliers (optional)
-Spring clamp pliers (optional, regular pliers will work)
-small funnel (again, optional but depending on the fluid you get, it may be needed)
https://i.imgur.com/WcPtujo.jpg

Supplies needed:
-Power steering fluid. (It took me just under a gallon, so I recommend getting a gallons worth)
-Approximately 6 feet of 3/8" rubber hose
-Bucket or drain pan
-Rags

Step 1:
Using the hose pinch pliers, crimp off the return line on the Hydroboost unit mounted behind the master cylinder. This is the small 3/8" rubber line held on with a spring clamp. You will still have some fluid leak out of the fitting so have a rag under it to stop it. Now move that line off to the side. You can take the clamp off and use it in the next step, or use a worm drive clamp. https://i.imgur.com/KrybPm2.jpg

Step 2:
Install your rubber hose on the fitting and clamp it. You can use the factory spring clamp or a worm drive. Either will work find for this job as there isnt much pressure there. Route this hose into a bucket or drain pan. Again, there isnt much pressure here, but there is some, so make sure it cant flop out of the bucket. https://i.imgur.com/VXQilFJ.jpg

Step 3:
Remove the cap from the reservoir and take note of the color and level of the fluid. Now here comes the important parts. Start the truck and slightly tuen your steering wheel. Go just until you hear the pump working a bit, and hold it there. Now, slowly but firmly press down on the brake pedal and release. It will take a pump or two until fluid will begin to come out. Keep the wheel held and slowly press and release the brake about 5 times.

Try not to let the reservoir run empty, so after 5 presses of the brake pedal, use your new fluid and top off the reservoir. Now repeat the holding of the steering wheel and pressing of the brake, filling the reservoir and repeat until you see nothing but new, clean fluid coming out of your hose. https://i.imgur.com/3dzgCZh.jpg https://i.imgur.com/MFyBGAQ.jpg

Step 4:
Now that you have clean fluid throughout the system, shut the truck off and remove your drain hose. There again will be aoke fluid that will come out. Install the factory return hose and clamp. Un-pinch the line and bring the reservoir up to the full mark on the dip stick. Start the truck up and turn the wheel back and forth and pump the brakes. This will make sure no air is in the system.
https://i.imgur.com/9EU4KML.jpg
Step 5:
Do a final level check and clean up any spills you may have made, and enjoy the smoother feeling steering and know you just did what most people neglect. Now is also a great time to change the brake fluid.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Original Poster
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 141
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: How-To: Flush Hydroboost System

Postby Walkers » May 31 2020, 4:01pm

Nice write up. Just FYI, you dont need to crimp off the return line. There is no pressure on it, just keep the end above the level of the PS reservoir.
Walkers
Topics: 80
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 [OP] » May 31 2020, 4:10pm

Yup. I do it just to help limit the amount of spilled fluid when removing the line. Helps keep things cleaner.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Original Poster
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jun 05 2020, 5:38pm

Nice, I wish more people did detailed writeups on stuff just because its neat to see/learn stuff.

In your opinion, is this something that someone should do every year or every 5 years or?
150,602 as of 6/28/21
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 63
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 [OP] » Jun 05 2020, 5:48pm

I would say yes. Just like brake fluid, crud builds up and the fluid gets nasty.

Its one of those things that all too often gets neglected. I'd say coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid are the 3 most neglected fluids.
Original Poster
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby tinner » May 12 2021, 5:17am

19trax95 wrote: Its one of those things that all too often gets neglected. I'd say coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid are the 3 most neglected fluids.

I agree, was changing brake fluid and power steering fluid on my 2000 1500 a few years back when a friend came over and his first words were, "Having brake problems?" I said, "No and I don't want too either."
tinner
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2016
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 3500 Duramax Dually
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » May 31 2021, 5:50pm

19trax95 wrote:I would say yes. Just like brake fluid, crud builds up and the fluid gets nasty.

Its one of those things that all too often gets neglected. I'd say coolant, power steering fluid and brake fluid are the 3 most neglected fluids.

And rear differentials. Like come on, who actually changes that fluid? :lol:

Anyway, Thanks for writeup, just changed mine (well still have the cleanup and bleeding part). If the pump doesn't get a bit quieter I guess that will be on the list for replacement....
silentbravo
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to How-To Articles