jQuery not supported.

How to Plasti-Dip Emblems

Plastic dipping badges.
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Plasti-Dip Emblems

Postby Z71Classic [OP] » Feb 29 2012, 7:40am

Skill Level: Anyone
Time: Hour or less
Special Tools: No

1) Gather Materials:

- Blue Painters Tape
- Newspaper or Printer Paper
- A very small flat head screwdriver or tool
- Plasti Dip (Found at any local hardware store)

2) Cleaning the Emblem

Get a nice cleaner such as Windex or rubbing alcohol and rub the emblem until it is clean and dry.

3) Taping

When you tape around your emblem on your truck, make sure to get all of the chrome covered up that is
next to the emblem and in the corners of the emblem. If you end up missing a spot, it is not a big deal
because when Plasti Dip is dry, it will just peel right off.

4) Covering Your Truck

Make sure that before you spray the emblem that you have your truck covered in newspaper or printer
paper near where you are going to spray. You will get a little mist of paint that will drift off sometimes.
Again, this is not a big deal at all because the Plasti Dip will just rub right off.

5) First Coat

Make sure you shake the can for a solid minute or so. Test spray it on a piece of wood or something.
When you feel good about it, spray a light coat on the emblem. Make sure to get the edges. Only sweep
the emblem about 4 times so that you get a good light base coat on. Don't worry if it isn't very dark yet.
Wait 10 minutes for it to dry.

6) Second Coat

After waiting 10 minutes, sweep the emblem a couple more times than last time to ensure you get a nice
solid coat on there. Make sure that you do not cake it on there and you do not want any dripping. Make
sure you hold the can 6" away from the emblem at least. When you think you have a nice coat on there,
wait about 15 minutes for it to dry.

7) Third and Final Coat

After waiting 5 minutes, you need to inspect the emblem for any missed spots or for spots that didn't get
coated as heavily. Give the emblem a nice coat like the second coat, making sure that you get any spots
you may have missed. Wait 30 minutes to make sure it is fully dry.

8) Peeling the Tape

This can be the hardest part for some people because they accidentally pull the paint from the emblem.
Make sure you start peeling the tape from the outside in. The paint sometimes has a wait of attaching
itself to the tape and the emblem. If this is the case, razor blade the paint so that you don't peel the
paint with the tape.

9) Scraping the Remains

On my emblem, some of the paint got in the cracks between the emblem and the grille so there was a
black outline in the cracks that looked pretty bad. I took the small flat head screwdriver and gently
scraped the extra Plasti Dip from the cracks.

10) The Finished Product

My emblems turned out pretty dang good and I know yours will too if you take your time and do it right.
If you have any questions please leave a comment below and I will try to answer it ASAP!
Here are some pics of my emblems:

Dirt Designs / King Shocks / General Tire / Method Race Wheels / Glassworks Unlimited / Magnaflow / Bulldog Lighting / Bullydog Tech / Gravel Empire / EcoTint / GoRecon / Rockstar Garage / GUNK / ScrubBlade Wipers / GetMoreWraps / K&N
Original Poster
Z71Classic
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Prerunner
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: [Tutorial] How To Plasti Dip Emblems

Postby quickdrraw » Mar 01 2012, 1:58am

You did your bumpers too, do you suggest spraying the whole bumper or just the chrome? I just don't want a color difference that is too noticeable.

*edit: great write up by the way!
"Before I close my eyes I fantasize I'm living well, but when I wake I realize I'm just a prisoner in Hell" -Tupac Shakur
quickdrraw
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 34
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3 EXT CAB
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Z71Classic [OP] » Mar 01 2012, 2:42am

I did not do the bumpers because I like the silver/black ratio on my truck, but if I were to do the bumper (I might try it out because I can always peel it off) I would only do the chrome. There isn't much of a color difference and it looks very similar to the plastic parts.

Thanks!
Dirt Designs / King Shocks / General Tire / Method Race Wheels / Glassworks Unlimited / Magnaflow / Bulldog Lighting / Bullydog Tech / Gravel Empire / EcoTint / GoRecon / Rockstar Garage / GUNK / ScrubBlade Wipers / GetMoreWraps / K&N
Original Poster
Z71Classic
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby devildog0331 » Mar 01 2012, 2:49am

Nice write up. Does the plasti dip come in different colors?
magnaflow Turned down exhaust
Volant CAI
RC 2" level kit w/ bilsteens adjustables
275/65R20 cooper MT tires
DIABLEW TUNED w/ TRINITY
Self installed audio system
devildog0331
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Year: 2011
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L V8 4x2
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Z71Classic [OP] » Mar 01 2012, 3:29am

Yes, Plasti Dip comes in all different colors so you can make it any color to match your truck or what ever.
Original Poster
Z71Classic
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby devildog0331 » Mar 01 2012, 3:30am

Oh awesome. I was thinking of doing the grill emblem the color of my truck and the rear black or chrome.
magnaflow Turned down exhaust
Volant CAI
RC 2" level kit w/ bilsteens adjustables
275/65R20 cooper MT tires
DIABLEW TUNED w/ TRINITY
Self installed audio system
devildog0331
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Year: 2011
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L V8 4x2
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Z71Classic [OP] » Mar 01 2012, 3:32am

I think it would look good to do both emblems the same color as your truck. But yeah do whatever you like man sounds good!
Original Poster
Z71Classic
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby StarsnBars » Mar 01 2012, 3:41am

Just grabbed a 1000 shares of Preformix. :lol:
This popular mod is really taking off. I plan on trying it this spring on a few truck parts. Nice write up.
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 250
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z71Classic [OP] » Mar 01 2012, 3:42am

Thanks man make sure to post some pics when your done!
Original Poster
Z71Classic
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Jcc45Acp » Mar 01 2012, 3:50am

I know what Im doing this weekend or the next, will post pics when Im done!
Jcc45Acp
Year: 2004
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles