jQuery not supported.

How to Repair a Broken Side Mirror Pod on a 99-06 Silverado

Replacing side mirrors.
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Repair a Broken Side Mirror Pod on a 99-06 Silverado

Postby 2002summit [OP] » Jan 24 2012, 2:00am

A week ago I was washing my truck. While moving the driver's side mirror housing foward, I heard a "sproiiing" and the mirror pod came loose from its base. I thought I might need to purchase another to replace it. Thankfully, I found Al's (CAPNAL2001) thread on this forum Side Mirror Problem

Al experienced the same issue and later figured out a solution to the issue. Unfortunately, he didn't take pictures during his repair. Fortunately, I did. Al's proceedure was well written, but pictures always help.

Step One: Remove mirror from the pod by tilting it down and to the left, so the lower left corner is at its most inset position. This should allow you to insert your fingers enough to hold the mirror securely. Carefully pull the mirror out. It should release easily.

Step Two: Remove the four Torx headed screws (indicated with red arrows).

Step Three: Seperate the front and rear pieces of the pod to gain access to the spring retainer.

Step Four: Using a hammer, carefully drive the spring retaining ring using a Channel-lock wrench until it seats.

Step Five: Test the rotation of the side mirror pod. If the retaining ring is set properly, it should not pop off.

Step Six: Reverse the taken down proceedure and re-install the foward and rear portions of the side mirror pod using the Torx headed screws. Do not over tighten the screws.

Step Seven: Re-install the mirror onto the side mirror pod by carefully lining up the white plastic screw bars into their respective gear housings.

Step Eight: Clean mirror of your dirty finger prints and enjoy your repaired side mirror.
2002summit
L I V E S T R O N G
'02 Silverado 2500HD
'92 SE-R
'85 MR2
Original Poster
2002summit
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L V8
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: How to repair a broken side mirror pod on a 99-06 Silver

Postby EKinMN » Jan 24 2012, 2:29am

Good write up! I saw this in your blog, and thought "man, he really should do a How To"! And here it is! Excellent...thanks.
NEW: 2021 Silverado LT Z71, 5.3L, Katzkin leather, soft tonneau, bedliner
OLD: 2010 Sierra All Terrain, 5.3L, Range AFM delete, 2.5" level lift, Grenade XD wheels, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 154
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L 8 Speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: How to repair a broken side mirror pod on a 99-06 Silver

Postby 2002summit [OP] » Jan 24 2012, 3:06am

Thanks! Just paying it foward. I've recieved so much valuable information on this site. Thought I'd give a little back.
2002summit
L I V E S T R O N G
'02 Silverado 2500HD
'92 SE-R
'85 MR2
Original Poster
2002summit
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0L V8
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: How to Repair a Broken Side Mirror Pod on a 99-06 Silver

Postby Trumpster1 » Jan 30 2012, 4:49pm

Well done, thank you!

Traded my baby for a fuel efficient vehicle, I couldn't see using her as a road rage machine anymore. I WILL be back in the game at some point.

Contact me at: [email protected]
Trumpster1
Technical Director
Technical Director
Topics: 175
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 6.2L Crew Std Bed
Group Membership:
Administrators
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Roamngnome » Oct 29 2015, 1:09am

This Article really helped in getting my passenger side mirror operational again. Thank you! I would like to add one note to Step 7.
Regarding the "screw bars". If they have become disengaged from the drive motors, then they will have to be carefully removed from their captive pivot socket, by gently, but firmly, popping the ball end out of its socket, towards the back of the mirror pod ring.
Then line up the white "plastic screw bars" into the slot on each respective gear housing, making sure that they mesh with the motor drive gear before installing the glass mirror.
Roamngnome
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD LS Ext 4x4 6L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby PGB1 » Sep 08 2019, 1:21pm

Thank You 2002Summit for posting this very helpful set of instructions. It was more helpful than any of the dozen or so articles & videos I found elsewhere.

Realizing the thread is old, I'd like to post an alternative to Step 4's pliers in case someone finds this post later (like I did in 2019).
Before assembling, I washed, dried & greased all the pivot points with white lithium. Hopefully it won't attack the plastic.

Step 4:
I found myself too fumbly-bumbly to accomplish the task with pliers, so I made an el-cheapo Step 4 "tool":
a) Taking a scrap PVC conduit coupling in the 1" size, I cut a slot in the side for the motor wires. (Lousy Photo is attached)
This one is actually the swedged end of a length of pipe, but a coupling fits perfectly, too.
b) The shaft (spindle) got white lithium grease.
c) I put a multi-folded towel on the bench for cushion.
d) With the body of the mirror resting on the towel, the coupling was set over the spindle and gently tapped with a rubber mallet until the push nut cap was about 1/8" from the top of the spindle.
At first, I sent the push nut too far down and could not rotate the mirror, thus the 1/8" stick up.

Before re-installing the mirror, I waxed the paint on the door under the mounting and put silicone on the hidden rubber gaskets.

Hope this helps and Thank You Again 2002 Summit for taking time to post the instructions & photos. They saved me a bunch of effort and from wrecking my mirror.

Paul
Attachments
A.JPG
PGB1
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 3 Door 6 Liter XLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » May 04 2021, 4:15am

Thanks, just fixed mine. Here's a good video on it as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpT0Qcv8X_s

I was not expecting the mirror to "explode" when I went to adjust it. I figured it was broken for sure as most 20+ year old plastic items tend to do in automotive world. First time I ever tried to move the mirror and it popped that collar off lol. It got some lithium grease under it now so it should move if I need it to...
silentbravo
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfake » May 05 2021, 1:32am

THANK YOU SILENT HOLY CHRIST YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF A GENIUS MAN YOU MIGHT BE.
That video saved me from hunting for the 99-02 puddle lamp mirrors and instead I can get the 03-07 and just swap the motors and electrics. Good stuff.
Bandito
LQ4 Swapped 99 ECSB
212/218 low lift cam, 862 heads
shakenfake
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 1999
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 6.0L V8