jQuery not supported.

How to Replace an Ignition Switch in a 2000 Silverado

Ignition Switch replacement write-up
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Re: How to Replace an Ignition Switch in a 2000 Silverado

Postby Wrangler » Mar 17 2013, 12:10pm

DivotMaker wrote:That's a weird one, for sure. Sounds like you're on the right track, though. Sounds like a starter problem, but I could be wrong. Hopefully, you'll hear from some others for guidance. Best of luck!

Turns out you were right. Pulled the starter and found the terminals to be a bit corroded. Scraped and sanded the posts and terminals, reinstalled and it started right up. Put the old ignition harness back in and it was still good as well. Have never had a starter that would work either 100% or zero at random times, so I had misdiagnosed it as an ignition switch problem. From what I have read in other posts it seems that this is not uncommon in some Silverados. Thanks again for your help and hopefully this might help others with similar symptoms in the future!
Wrangler
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby advcomps » Aug 21 2013, 1:55pm

Thank you for this post. I really appreciated the step by step attention to detail and illustrated photos along the way. :D
advcomps
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2002
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silverbeast » Feb 12 2014, 10:29pm

Yes!This is a great write up, that I will definitely be using tomorrow. My buddy has a 2000 Z-71 that has been having problems. First it would have to crank over a lot before it would start. I diagnosed that as a bad fuel pressure regulator because after checking his pressure, it was all over the place. Running, it would jump from 35psi to almost 70psi, where my truck runs a steady 50-55 psi. I also changed his fuel filter because I noticed it looked older than the truck while I was under the truck looking around. That was a cheap, easy fix and it worked for him for about a day. Then it started dying on him while he was driving and then refusing to start back up. In a panic, he towed it to a mechanic and paid $800 to have his fuel pump replaced, which was my next thing on the list to check. He didn't even make it 12 hours before it started up again. The same mechanice is diagnosing the ignition switch, which is also the next thing on my list that I suggested as possible causes. SO, after the mechanic diagnoses it for sure (for free this time,) I am going to either change the alternator (other suggested cause by said mechanic) or the ignition switch. This write up will help tremendously.

I have one question, what brand ignition switch have some of you replaced OEM with? About how much did it run you from the parts store?

Thanks!
2002 Z-71. 7" of lift. 35" General Grabbers, 17" American Racing wheels, AEM intake w/ K&N, TB spacer, 3" Thrush muffler
Silverbeast
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby bwalker » Feb 15 2014, 3:23am

Thanks for the instructions! I would add that the tilt lever handle pulls straight out of the body of the lever (I used a little pry bar, prying it toward the door). I messed with my ignition switch gears, so I installed it wrong the first time, the key wouldn't spring back when I turned it. If you take the lock cylinder out, you will insert it in the run position which is the gears on the ignition switch all the way counter clockwise, so you feel the spring back (in the ignition switch) when you go to the start position. Another gottya was the little white connector that goes down into the lock. You need a thin screw driver to pry the little lever in, then rotate 90 degrees and it pops out. I had some trouble with the top column cover, you have to pry it back under the plexglass dash gauge cover. Thanks so much... one other thing, there is no relearning, the passlock is on the cylinder housing...
bwalker
Year: 2000
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby Dr. Chevrolet » Feb 11 2015, 2:45am

Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anybody have the part number for this? All I can find is the entire lock cylinder.
Dr. Chevrolet
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users
Registered users

Postby AHTabuchi » Sep 04 2015, 7:25pm

Hello, on the same note gigging up an old thread but you popped up , I've got an issue on a similar matter , on my 2000 CK3500 Dually w/a 4L80E 4 speed auto the problem is that it wouldn't go into any gear except when the ignition is in the prestart position and then it would start then i could select the gear that I want, but now the ignition key stopped starting all together . what are your thoughts ? The ignition switch?
AHTabuchi
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: CK3500 Dually LS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Fearchevy337 » May 31 2016, 8:48pm

Ok guy's.. I just got this truck bad tranny.. had it rebuilt an put back in.. now I have no speedometer.. was working before.. all gags work but the speed.. I've changed all vvs an check all fuse an all ground.. an help please
Fearchevy337
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1999
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Nburrell83 » Jul 04 2017, 11:12pm

Will this work if the cylindar lock is stuck int the on posistion? I had to disconnect my battery and pull ignition fuse to turn it off. Tried a pipe wrench to turn the key back but it wont budge.
Nburrell83
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chasemixon » Dec 06 2019, 1:18pm

Just wanted to say thank you, I had this same problem, and no one I spoke with had ever even heard of it, much less any idea on how to fix it. I had already replaced the ignition switch which of course didn't fix anything, but kept search online until I found your original blog about it, then all I had to do was find the how to, would have been great if you put a link in there to here, but I registered and found it! :)

Thanks!
Chase
chasemixon
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby Dick » Feb 22 2021, 4:37pm

Hi I just wanted to say how much I appreciated the article on replacing the ignition switch on 2000 chevy silverado, I just replaced mine in my 2000 Silverado and it was a breeze after reading the article, so thank you very much.
Dick
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 6.0L
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users
Previous

Return to How-To Articles