jQuery not supported.

How to Tint Your Tail Lights using VHT Nite Shades

Quick and easy Tail Light Mod
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

How to Tint Your Tail Lights using VHT Nite Shades

Postby aksierra11 [OP] » Dec 07 2010, 8:46am

Subject:
This How-To covers how to tint your tail lights using VHT Nite Shades.

Requirements:
• Skill Level: Anyone
• Time: Couple Hours
• Special Tools: Elbow grease

Things You'll Need

VHT Nite Shades (I purchased mine from Napa)
vht_nite_shade_taillight_tint.jpg

2000 grit wet/dry sand paper
VHT Tint (5).JPG

Krylon Clear Spray Paint
37107-hi-Fusion-Clear-Gloss.jpg

Step-by-Step Instructions:

Step 1. Remove tail lights from vehicle.
VHT Tint (2).JPG

Step 2. Take your 2000 grit sandpaper and wet your tail lights and sandpaper. Place a few drops of dish soap on the sand paper and wet sand your tail lights till they are a Smokey haze color. In the picture below you can see the left one has been sanded and the right one has not been.
VHT Tint (7).JPG

Step 3. Once the tail lights are sanded, clean them with a rubbing alcohol to remove any finger prints or grease from the lenses.
Step 4. Once the tail lights are clean prop them up on a table or flat sturdy surface.
VHT Tint (8).JPG

Step 5. Time to start spraying. Shake your can of VHT Nite Shades to make sure it is throughly mixed. Make sure the nozzle is clean of any gunk and do a couple shots on a piece of paper to make sure you have an even flow. Start spraying past the lens and do nice light coats evenly covering the whole tail light. After your first coat wait 5 minutes and then repeat. If you are wanting a Smokey look only apply two coats. If you are looking for the "black out" look apply 3 coats. In this How-To I will be applying 3 coats.

**note - applying 3 coats will render you back up lights useless**

You have a few options to address your tail lights. Before applying your first coat you can mask off the back up light section which will result in that remaining clear when done. Second option is applying 1 or 2 coats and then masking the back up section. 1-2 coats will still allow enough light through.

I will be purchasing after market lights that plug into the trailer hitch to help with lighting when backing up.
In this picture I just applied the first coat. You should wait 5 minutes between each coat.
VHT Tint (9).JPG

Step 6. Second coat (remember to wait 5 minutes between coats)
VHT Tint (16).JPG

Step7. Third Coat (wait 10 minutes till applying clear coats)
VHT Tint (18).JPG

Step 8. After the last coat of VHT wait 10 minutes and it will be time to start the clear coat process. This process is the same as applying the VHT. Light even coats and waiting 5 minutes between coats.
Step 9. Once the clear coat is done allow it to dry and set (usually a couple hours).

Step 10. Very lightly wet sand the lenses making sure to keep your strokes in the same direction and to not press very hard. When done your lenses should have a light hazy color to them.
VHT Tint (19).JPG

Step 10. Get some rubbing compound and an application pad. Apply a generous amount to the pad and evenly spread it across the lens. Once you have a nice even coat its time to put in some elbow grease and go nuts. Rub the compound in as hard as you can, you are wanting to fill in all the fine scratches from wet sanding.

Step 11. Once you are done applying the rubbing compound take a microfiber cloth and buff out the lenses to a nice glassy look. If there is still minor scratch marks repeat the rubbing compound process.

Step 12. Install the lights back on the vehicle and admire your work.

Conclusion:
Very easy mod, just make sure you take your time and don't try and take any short cuts. It was getting late when I finished up my project so will be adding more pictures tomorrow and also will be making a video showing them lit up at night.
Original Poster
aksierra11
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: How to Tint Your Tail Lights using VHT Nite Shades

Postby jepics » Dec 08 2010, 3:33am

Excellent article - thanks Andy!
If you want to do what you want to do, you have to do what you have to do.
--John
jepics
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 5.3 V8 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby crawl59 » Jul 28 2011, 1:38am

Great how to. I did mine this afternoon but managed to mess it up so I need suggestions on what chemical to use to strip the clear and vht night shade off so I can start over and do it right this time. Any help would be appreciated.
crawl59
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Blakelocati » Jul 28 2011, 3:25am

Looks great! I really want to do this to my truck, but the damn laws in California are so stirct. I'm scared of getting a ticket for it. :(
Blakelocati
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 6.0L V8 4x4 LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX » Jul 28 2011, 3:29am

It does look great but gets old after a while and you do lose some visibility in the daytime. I got pulled over a couple times and finally just bought recons.
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

LBZDMAX
Topics: 6
Year: 2007
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Blakelocati » Jul 28 2011, 3:42am

Don't mean to get off topic, but are the recons street legal?
Last edited by Austin on Jul 28 2011, 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary to quote the post directly above yours; it is assumed that your reply pertains to it.
Blakelocati
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 6.0L V8 4x4 LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LBZDMAX » Jul 28 2011, 3:48am

Yessir, DOT approved.
GW
2007 Duramax CCSB LBZ 4WD - SOLD
07.5 Duramax CCSB LMM 4WD

LBZDMAX
Topics: 6
Year: 2007
Extra Info: LBZ CCSB 4WD 2500HD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby olliepop2500 » Jul 29 2011, 8:10pm

does anyone tint tails with a spray gun with black paint and alot of clear i was told this works better and looks nicer. never did it just seeing how it works
06 silverado ccsb lbz dmax aka beyonce efi live, s&b intake, 5" exhaust 6" tip dumped, 20" chrome rockstars
olliepop2500
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 52
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 2500hd lbz dmax
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby ed-3000 » Jul 29 2011, 9:33pm

A friend at work told me he tinted his, I think you are supposed to mixed black, purple and clear but not sure in what ratios.
ed-3000
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 4.8 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 200chevy5.3 » Aug 05 2011, 5:42pm

i have my tail lights, third brake lights, and front turn signal lights all blacked out, and it looks awesome, but i ended up ordering recons for the back and spyder halos and LED's for the front. my lights are only visible during the day when my truck is spotless, and i cant keep it clean constantly. still looks good however!
2000 Z71 with the 5.3, 16' Helo Maxx rims with 285 Cooper STTs, windows tinted to match stock, 2 12' pioneers, 1600W RE audio amp, UltraDeepMaxx box from Subthump, Recon tailights, aftermarket headlights and turn signals, debadged, K&N CAI
200chevy5.3
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 V8 Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles