jQuery not supported.

Master key program

How to program a transponder key when master is lost
Forum rules
This is just a friendly reminder that the "How To" forum is not a place to ask questions or ask for help. What this means is it's not the place to request a "How To". This forum is meant only for members who wish to post the specific steps to complete a project or modification of some sort. All posts in here are put up for all to read and gain information on how to do something to their silverado or sierra. Please only post in this section if you have directions on how to do a modification, complete a task, or steps to take to resolve a problem. Thanks!

Master key program

Postby coldnorthpole [OP] » Jan 21 2014, 7:03am

Hi,
I am posting this because I had a nightmare of a time going through this myself.

I lost the one and only key that I had to my 2010 Silverado. ( I know, I am an idiot)
These are the steps to program a master key that you will need to get from your dealer or other retailer.
My local Chevy dealer told me I had to have my truck towed to them so that they could fix it. After completing a little research, I completed this on my own and saved myself probably $250 in towing fees and a major headache and other fees at the dealer. Rule of thumb, do not always trust what the dealer tells you.

IF NO OTHER WORKING KEY FOR THE CAR IS AVAILABLE: 1.Put the newly cut Master key into the keyway and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. A "Security" indicator light on the dashboard will stay on for 10 minutes. 2. Within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF" then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY) 3. Again, within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF", then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY) 4. When the light goes off for the third time, the new key is programmed into the computer and will start the car. Remove the key and then re-insert it into the ignition lock and start the car. All previously stored codes will be erased. To stop the process at any time, simply remove the key and use an existing key to start the car.

HOW TO PROGRAM THIS KEY IF YOU HAVE ATLEAST ONE WORKING KEY
FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO JUST CREATE A SPARE KEY: 1. Place an already programmed key in the keyway. 2. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) to OFF. 3. Within 15 seconds, insert the new, properly cut Transponder key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON (RUN) or START. The "Security" indicator light will go on and off. Turn the key "OFF". The key will now start the car. Repeat the second step for each new key to be programmed.
Original Poster
coldnorthpole
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Master key program

Postby esox07 » Jan 21 2014, 5:47pm

Yep, first thing I did when I bought my new truck was to buy a new key off the internet for a few dollars and then program it using those instructions. Walmart cut it for free since I brought the blank in. I keep it up under the truck in a magnetic key case. Poor mans version of OnStart remote unlock!
Yep, I realize someone could find it under there but if someone is looking to steal my truck, the last thing they will do is crawl under the truck to look for a spare key that is unlikely to be there if they could find it at all. I don't go around advertising it is under there either.
I was just happy that after I bought the truck, that I could self program a key and didn't have to pay $100 for one from the dealer. Now, I believe the remote keyless entry is another story and you do have to go through the dealer on that at least to program it....not sure though.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 289
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby adamcc91 » Jan 21 2014, 6:05pm

We stock and cut the keys with the chips in them at our Napa store, but most places you go won't have the correct blanks (with the chip) I think the blank is an ilco b106p or something like that. Anyways, make sure when you get it that it has that little plus sign on the side of the key blank. That indicates whether or not it has a chip. As far as the remote keyless entry is concerned, I know we sell the key fobs and it says install in minutes, but they're still so expensive I haven't tried it myself. When I had my Grand prix GXP I had to take it to the dealer for them to program it ..probably using the tech 2 or something.
2007 LTZ 5.3
RC 3.5 lift
15% tint
Westin HDX Guard
325 65 18 Nitto Terra Grappler
adamcc91
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby aldin12 » Jan 22 2014, 9:34pm

I think that to program the fob you have an option on the DIC, Im not 100% sure how it works but I know that this option is listed on my truck
aldin12
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby faustus72 » Jan 22 2014, 11:17pm

Nice to know there is a way in case I lose all my spares. I have 3 keys, mine, my wife''s, and then the spare. I like that we can code the keys to the truck, but not happy that if I get an additional FOB that I have to take that one in to get it programed to the truck (2012).
faustus72
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2012
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Voodoo » Jan 23 2014, 4:06am

I can see where this is useful, but I'm not 100% sure I want the world knowing how to take a blank key and use it to start MY truck o.O
Voodoo
Topics: 157
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: LTZ 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 23 2014, 4:11am

It sounds like it would take them at least 30 minutes to do it. lol.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Voodoo » Jan 23 2014, 4:12am

I'm typically in the plant 16 hours a day...plenty of time. This needs taken down..
Voodoo
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 23 2014, 4:38am

I'm suprised you do not have a kill switch rigged up in your truck. Not only that, but they would have to have a key that is already cut correctly first.
Last edited by ASTE25 on Jan 23 2014, 4:40am, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Voodoo » Jan 23 2014, 4:40am

Perhaps I do...most don't. I just don't think SS.com or Autoguide want to be the forum where the car thief learns his trade...MHO.
Voodoo
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Registered users
Next

Return to How-To Articles