jQuery not supported.

Driver Door lock

NOT the Actuator

Driver Door lock

Postby RADick [OP] » Jan 16 2020, 7:16pm

Hello all,

My 08 Silverado is giving me problems with the drivers door lock. The passenger side works fine, with the electronic lock buttons on the door and Keyfob. The drivers side ONLY works with me manually pressing down the lock on the interior or using the Key to open or lock it from outside. After much searching around on this site, i thought it was going to be the actuator. I bought a new Dorman one and took the truck up to the local body shop for them to install it. I watched YouTube's on doing it myself and decided that with it being winter in Michigan, $60 bucks was a fair price for someone else to do it.

They just called and said it didn't fix the problem. Additionally they tested the Original one by jumping it from a battery and both functions(lock and unlock) work. They also tested the switch on the door, that is sending out a signal as it should. I had them reinstall the original actuator and i'm going to pick it up shortly.

Where do i go from here ? The Dealer wants $129/hr+ parts to look at it.
Original Poster
RADick
Topics: 2
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Driver Door lock

Postby nealinator » Jan 16 2020, 7:30pm

You could try opening up the controller on the drivers side and cleaning the contacts. I used an eraser to clean a rear door window switch that was not operating.

I am curious how the determined the switch was sending a signal. If they tested at the back of the switch and it showed power...but not at the actuator...then it could be a wire that is broken somewhere in between. I would ask them where they tested for power and how. That will help narrow down where to look.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   176,570 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Michelin 305/50R20 - Airaid MIT
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - DiabLew Tune

$$$ Total Build Cost $$$
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 154
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Supporters
Registered users

Postby RADick [OP] » Jan 16 2020, 8:22pm

They said the switch was good because when pressed, the passenger side still works and you can hear Relay's clicking by my feet. He said that power runs from the relay(s) to a "Non-serviceable) circuit board. Thats where they had to stop chasing the problem due to lack of knowledge.
Original Poster
RADick
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jan 16 2020, 8:24pm

Ok. I do think that the driver door module (the switch panel in the door there) runs to the BCM (body control module)...so things get more complicated than just switch to actuator signal. But I would still open it up and clean off the contacts. One contact can be fine and another can be dirty and not making contact. Especially the most used ones.
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - DiabLew Tune

$$$ Total Build Cost $$$
nealinator
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Supporters
Registered users

Postby RADick [OP] » Jan 17 2020, 3:30pm

Oh man... So I picked it up last night and once I got home, I realized that when i pulled the key out and opened the door, the radio didnt turn off, nor did the dash back-lighting and the dome light didn't come on.. I called the body shop back and told them, so as of now, its back at the shop and they are trying to figure out what they've done to mess this up more.

Im guessing it has something to do with the position that the lock actuator was left in. Yesterday they did jump it with a battery to make sure the solenoid was operational. so im hoping that they can hit it with some juice again and at least get me back to where i was yesterday with just the lock not working. SMH.. The radio did turn off after 10 minutes, so at least that was good, no dead battery this morning.
Original Poster
RADick
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jan 17 2020, 3:35pm

The door latched signal (switch) comes from inside the latch itself these days. And also routes though the driver door module. Seems like something flaky is going on there or perhaps some wiring issues. Hope they are not charging you heavily for all this shop time.

$$$ Total Build Cost $$$
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Supporters
Registered users

Postby RADick [OP] » Jan 17 2020, 8:18pm

Update !!

Just got the truck back. The body shop fixed what they messed up. It ended up being on the connector that sends signals to the actuator. When they reconnected it for the final time on reassembly they pushed the connector onto the actuator and the tech must have not noticed that when it clicked together it pushed one of the pins out of the connector. That wire happened to be the wire that provides the ground to the circuit that sends the signal to turn off the radio, dash lights and turn on the dome lights when the key is out and the door is opened.

They also went a step further and had a local Chevy dealer deliver them a new actuator (in addition to the NEW one I provided them) and tried that. Neither their new one, my new one or the one that's in the truck acted any different from one another and none of them solved the problem. While they were waiting for the dealer to bring them the part they polished the oxidation off of the headlights, free of charge :)

The door lock and unlock buttons on the passenger side interior do the same thing as the driver side so i don't think there's a dirty contact issue

So I'm back to where I started 2 days ago. The drivers door wont lock or unlock electronically. Its not the switch or the actuator, so unless anyone has any idea's, i think I'm condemned to taking it to the dealer for diagnosis.. :|
Original Poster
RADick
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jan 17 2020, 8:27pm

If it were me....I would probably try and swap out the driver door module before taking it to the dealer. It is just throwing parts at it...but you will be out a good $100 or more at a dealer...probably double that just to look at it.

which switch do you have? some of the cheap ones are only $15 here. (not oem of course) https://www.amazon.com/s?k=2008+silvera ... _sb_noss_1

$$$ Total Build Cost $$$
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Supporters
Registered users

Postby RADick [OP] » Jan 17 2020, 8:38pm

Thanks for the replies and help man, I appreciate it.

Yeah I don't mind some trial and error but wouldn't this new module be a moot point because it doesn't work from the passenger side either ?
Original Poster
RADick
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jan 17 2020, 8:42pm

Not sure I follow. Your initial post said the passenger door lock works fine.

$$$ Total Build Cost $$$
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Supporters
Registered users
Next

Return to Interior