jQuery not supported.

Installing a CB and antenna in 04 Z71

How to install a Cobra CB radio and firestik antenna

Re: Installing a CB and antenna in 04 Z71

Postby mudkicker7812 » Mar 06 2016, 2:48pm

If anything ever happened and the power grid was disabled it would probably be good to have in case of emergency's. I was one of the morons back in the day pissing people off by playing CB Tag.
mudkicker7812
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT DC 4.8Lt RWD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby CJM8515 » Mar 06 2016, 5:42pm

I had one in my last few trucks and I kept the little cobra III out of all of them. I have yet to bother hooking it up as its nearly useless these days. No one has one really and the truckers or whomever just have potty mouths and talk about nothing all day on them it seems. I found it usefull when offroading years ago as it talks to all the other units vs just two way like a phone.
CJM8515
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 51
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby zap » Mar 07 2016, 7:12am

05Canuck wrote:this thread is almost 6 years old!! technology has moved way beyond the " 10-4 rubber ducky" days

But it really hasn't. 100% of public safety wireless communications systems are still two-way. LTE hasn't proven itself to be viable/practical to build (about $50 billion and a decade to build the FirstNet LTE system to match the current coverage covered by cell carriers) for a public safety basis. The big changes over the last 70 years have been the modulation methods of wireless communications. Public safety and business has been in FM since the 1940's...consumer AM until the FCC created FRS. Now public safety and business have begun moving to digital modulation formats (P25, DMR, NXDN) but at the base of it those are still FM transmitters. Wireless is still wireless whether it be in LMR, CB, amateur radio, microwave systems, wifi, or cellular....it hasn't changed.
zap
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mudkicker7812 » Mar 07 2016, 3:10pm

The difference being if the power grid goes down CB uses your vehicles base rather then a powered antenna. If power is disrupted to cell towers all communication for Sprint/Verizon/AT&T and other carriers will go with it. Base modulated transceivers will still operate. So in an emergency CB radio's will still be a good way to communicate.
mudkicker7812
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Extra Info: LT DC 4.8Lt RWD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby zap » Mar 08 2016, 4:40am

mudkicker7812 wrote:The difference being if the power grid goes down CB uses your vehicles base rather then a powered antenna. If power is disrupted to cell towers all communication for Sprint/Verizon/AT&T and other carriers will go with it. Base modulated transceivers will still operate. So in an emergency CB radio's will still be a good way to communicate.

Well...it's actually fairly standard for cell sites to have their own backup power (this became common in Texas after Hurricane Ike hit Houston). The big failure points to cell sites are power/fuel (lack of), water intrusion, looting (gotta get that copper), actual structural/equipment damages and overloading.

Personally, CB being the mess it is one is much better off getting an amateur radio license and actually learning how to use the equipment (or that and a business or GMRS license if aspects of those services are also needed).
zap
Topics: 6
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Crimsontide2000 » Jan 19 2017, 2:46am

Austin wrote:
LonestarEMT wrote:I covered up that stupid cubby hole that doesn't hold anything. If you have an 04 to 07 with no center console you will know what I'm talking about.

:lol: I had to laugh at this comment because I feel the same way. That cubby hole is so worthless, it can't hold anything and it is so poorly designed. I keep the remote control to my head unit in there but every once in a while it falls out so it is really frustrating. Glad you found something nice to do with it... cover it up. ;)

Great write-up btw! Photos are always so helpful to visualize the project.

I found it is the perfect size for a small knife!
Crimsontide2000
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L vortec V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby VE6CPU » Jan 21 2017, 4:53pm

I agree with Zap. Do yourself a favour and get your ham ticket. If you actually learn how radio works you will have a much easier time using it. That and ham operators can run higher power which lets you communicate further. Not to mention the number of bands you can use. Makes comkunicating locally or world wide a lot easier. From my truck with a 100w hf rig (Icom 7000) I have talked around the world. From all over north America to the middle easr, russia and a few places in Europe.

Not to mention that most hams are really great guys and always willing to help. Either with installs or operating and even a place to crash if your stuck. There are also many different areas of ham radio. Hf voice, am, digital (psk and rtty). Vhf/uhf for aprs (vehicle tracking), fm,ssb,eme, and even some satelite. The skies the limit.

One final thing. I have foumd that most ham equipment is built better then any new CB.
VE6CPU
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: 2500 HD LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NoMoneyDM » Apr 06 2018, 4:18am

LonestarEMT wrote:When picking out an antenna you have a ton of options out there. Just remember if you go really cheap your going to get really cheap. I've gone with a Firestik. Firestik has a ton of setups and mounting options. I will be using the stake post mount. Your Firestik cable comes without the radio connection on it so you can run it in tight spaces.
IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg
clean install but not gonna talk as good as she could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoMoneyDM
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kali » Apr 19 2018, 4:32am

HAHA I remember doing that playing CB tag when I was a young PUP played it using an old Cobra 148GTL side band unit. had all the funnies in it too and A channels to boot. use to love that old CB. shot skip to Florida several times. sat up in the hills with a high powered hand warmer only problem was it was very dirty would bleed for several channels up and down from the one I was talking on. thanks for popping that back in my head. remember that fondly. had a buddy we would drive around and tract each other using just the SWR's and when you got real close you'd use the squelch to zoom in on were he was at. we'd even go around and find people talking on the base station practically pull into their drive way's.
kali
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 3500 DuraMax-Allison
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Interior