jQuery not supported.

Please help with noise inside my truck!!!!!

Please help with noise inside my truck!!!!!

Postby Rossi89 [OP] » Aug 21 2014, 1:18am

Hey guys I am new to this forum. I have a white 2014 Silverado LT. A few days ago I noticed a strange noise coming from what sounds like my dash. It is a high pitched squeaking sound that isn't very loud, but is very annoying. At first I thought it was a weird feedback coming through my speakers.

I have experimented with the radio, air vents, touch screen, and everything else to try and locate the sound but have not been successful. I have been able to narrow down when the sound occurs and when it doesn't. For example when you first turn the key once click to accessories, you can hear the squeaking sound for a few seconds. When you turn the key off you can hear the sound. Once you turn the key to accessories, the sound will be heard for a few seconds and will not happen again. When the engine is started, there is no sound. I can rev the engine in park and neutral without a sound. As soon as I put the truck in reverse or drive, the sound is back. With my foot on the break and the truck in drive, I can barely tap the gas pedal and the squeaking sounds happens every single time. Put the truck back in neutral or park, tap on the gas and nothing.

While I am driving the truck as normal, the squeaking sound happens every few seconds. It will occur coasting down a hill, hitting the breaks, and every single time the gas pedal is even pressed a tiny bit. If I put the truck in neutral while going down the road, there is no sound at all. Once I bring the truck to a stop and turn the key off, you can hear the squeaking sound. Turn the key back on one click, you will hear it again. Fire the truck up and put it in drive, you are annoyed but a soft squeaking sound your whole ride.

Does anyone have any clue of what this could be. I have turned the radio up and the level of noise does not get louder so that rules out my radio. I have turned on and off the radio and touch screen with no change. I have turned the vents on and off with no change. Does anyone know the electrical components of these truck and maybe have a better idea. Could something be getting a different current or something when the gas pedal is pressed, or a load put on the motor when it is in drive or reverse? I am taking it back to the dealer in a few days but I just don't want them to rip my whole interior apart and not find the problem. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Original Poster
Rossi89
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Please help with noise inside my truck!!!!!

Postby KYChevyGirl » Aug 24 2014, 2:46am

With it being a 2014 your best bet would be to take it to the dealer. Since the truck is so new, I doubt anybody has a clue what it could possibly be.
KYChevyGirl
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silvy.on.rockstars » Aug 24 2014, 5:36am

That's what warranties are for...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Silvy.on.rockstars
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 20
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 35s.bumpers.built6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2013BlizzardZ71EC » Aug 24 2014, 12:08pm

Chasing annoying noises sucks...especially on a new truck. Like the others mentioned your best bet is letting the dealership check into it. Totally understand the fear of them ripping your dash apart and causing other issues in order to fix this one. I hope you or they find it. Let us know what it turns out to be as it will help others. Good luck!
2015 Silverado Double Cab Z71 LT Slow build after being truckless
Suspension Maxx Level Kit
BFG TA KO2 LT285/65R18 RWL
Previous Silverados: '77, '00,'07, '09, '13
2013BlizzardZ71EC
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: LT Z71 5.3L 3.42
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby semicrazy » Aug 24 2014, 2:48pm

Silvy.on.rockstars wrote:That's what warranties are for...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

^^^+1
semicrazy
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 87
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 6.0L 4x4 LT crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby silverado 1500 2001 » Aug 26 2014, 12:47am

i'm thinking

#1 you need a 2nd set of ears to listen as you drive by them slowly

#2 it's not from the interior

#3 might be a rock stuck between the brake disc and the rock guard (which happens allot)
silverado 1500 2001
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2001
Extra Info: V6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Please help with noise inside my truck!!!!! UPDATE

Postby Rossi89 [OP] » Aug 26 2014, 4:59pm

I have an update on the noise! It turns out it wasn't coming from the interior after all. The squeaking (bird chirping) noise was coming from the 4x4 switch under the truck. I was running the truck in Auto 4x4 so the switch was always active making the squeaking noise all the time. As soon as I locked the truck in 2 wheel drive the noise was gone. Now the only time it makes a squeaking sound is when shifting into 4x4 or while in Auto 4x4. After doing some reading on this topic, it seems to be a very popular problem with these trucks. GM just calls it a "normal electronic sound". Thanks everyone for your replies and I hope this helps anyone having the same problem.
Original Poster
Rossi89
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silvery13 » Aug 26 2014, 6:33pm

I don't understand why GM would call this sound normal? :?
My '14 has never made this sound when switching in and out of Auto 4WD. I guess that makes my truck abnormal. :lol:
Not a member of the "club", not a self appointed "this or that", not a legend in my own mind.
Conceptual Polymer High Efficiency Catch Can, DynaPro ATM RF-10 255-70/18, Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded, Bilstein 5100s
Silvery13
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 EcoTec 5.3
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby BaltimoreCaesar » Sep 02 2014, 8:13pm

Yeah, after I took my truck for an extended test drive home to get the paperwork for my trade-in and to pick up the wife I heard the same thing and almost pulled the plug on the deal, but they had their lead tech take a ride with me and I noticed that the gear select was in 2WD, when I previously had it in Auto. Sure enough it was just making the noise in Auto and he said that is completely normal. I'm assuming it is the gear lash in the transfer case making that clicking/squeeky mouse like noise when the transmission switches from a engine load condition to a non-load condition.
BaltimoreCaesar
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT CC 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Interior