Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Forgotten differential fluid change

7K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  Nawwaf 
#1 ·
Hi
I bought 2nd hand GMC Seirra 1500 and it seams that the ex-owner didn't change the differential fluid. It has 70k miles and there isn't any noise. People whom I asked told me the differential is already damaged and advised me not to change the fluid. Can' any one kindly advise me what to do.

Nawwaf

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure going 70,000 miles on factory fluid won't ruin your diff. Change it when you can and keep on rolling.

#4 ·
Did you check the service interval in the factory manual? The 2012 manual doesn't recommend **transmission** or 4wd transfer case fluid changes until 97K miles for "normal" use. The "severe" duty interval is shorter. Was the vehicle primarily used for towing, off-roading, or business (like construction)?

**Corrected to say transmission. 2012 manual doesn't list differential in the maintence chart.

#6 ·
rebelman06 said:
Did you check the service interval in the factory manual? The 2012 manual doesn't recommend differential or 4wd transfer case fluid changes until 97K miles for "normal" use. The "severe" duty interval is shorter. Was the vehicle primarily used for towing, off-roading, or business (like construction)?
As I recall the interval is 30K, I will recheck again. The truck was used for ocasinal off-road and mostly normal use.

#10 ·
rebelman06 said:
I just looked at my book again and it doesn't specify the differential. It has transmission and transfer case at 97K.
The owner user guide is not avalible to me and I couldn't find conclusive answer to my search. Some suggest 50K some suggests 30K. I assume it will be fine to change it although it is overdue.

Thank you for your replies.

#12 ·
There are a ton of Silverado trucks on the road right now with over 100,000 miles on them with factory diff fluid still in them. You should be fine as long as your or the previous owner haven't been real rough on the drive train. Just change it out with some good stuff and sleep well at night.

Here is a link to a PDF version of your Owners Manual.
2011 Silverado Manual

EDIT:
I was just thinking. i owned a 1991 S10 Blazer that I traded in on a 2004 Blazer. The Blazer was traded in on my 2013 Silverado. Both of the trade ins NEVER had the differential oil changed and they both had over 165,000 miles or more when traded in. They were both running great at the time I traded them in too.
And, NO, I dont plan on that same service schedule for my 13 Silverado.

#14 ·
wildchevy said:
I have seen thousands of truck go 200,00 miles plus without a rear end service in fleet use and no problems.
Z15 said:
He is in the middle east, Saudi Arabia, owners manuals may be different for exported trucks to that region.
That's right, but from my previous search, I came across posts that say the owner's manual omits the differential fluid change recommendations!

The customizations for GCC region is limited to radiators

#16 ·
esox07 said:
There are a ton of Silverado trucks on the road right now with over 100,000 miles on them with factory diff fluid still in them. You should be fine as long as your or the previous owner haven't been real rough on the drive train. Just change it out with some good stuff and sleep well at night.

Here is a link to a PDF version of your Owners Manual.
2011 Silverado Manual

EDIT:
I was just thinking. i owned a 1991 S10 Blazer that I traded in on a 2004 Blazer. The Blazer was traded in on my 2013 Silverado. Both of the trade ins NEVER had the differential oil changed and they both had over 165,000 miles or more when traded in. They were both running great at the time I traded them in too.
And, NO, I dont plan on that same service schedule for my 13 Silverado.
Thank you for the info and the link to the OM.

#18 ·
I always look at it this way - if changing the fluid "kills" the diff/trans/whatever, then it was dead already. Fresh fluid won't kill something that is still mechanically sound.

I've also never had anything fail after a really late fluid change either. Examples:

Bought my 02 Trailblazer with 112k miles, didn't get the trans fluid changed until 120k miles, it was pretty dark. Still works fine.
Transfer case was supposed to be done every 50k miles. I can guarantee that hadn't been done. Changed it. Works fine.
My brother got a 95 Taurus with over 150k miles on it, original fluid, looked like mud. Nastiest looking trans fluid I've ever seen. Trans was slipping horribly. Changed the fluid (complete flush, NOT reverse!). That fixed it. This was a few years ago, he no longer has the car but someone he knows still does and it is still running perfectly fine.

#19 ·
SparkyJJO said:
I always look at it this way - if changing the fluid "kills" the diff/trans/whatever, then it was dead already. Fresh fluid won't kill something that is still mechanically sound.

I've also never had anything fail after a really late fluid change either. Examples:

Bought my 02 Trailblazer with 112k miles, didn't get the trans fluid changed until 120k miles, it was pretty dark. Still works fine.
Transfer case was supposed to be done every 50k miles. I can guarantee that hadn't been done. Changed it. Works fine.
My brother got a 95 Taurus with over 150k miles on it, original fluid, looked like mud. Nastiest looking trans fluid I've ever seen. Trans was slipping horribly. Changed the fluid (complete flush, NOT reverse!). That fixed it. This was a few years ago, he no longer has the car but someone he knows still does and it is still running perfectly fine.
I totally agree with you from the logical P.O.V, however I asked just to confirm that and to learn from others experiences.

#20 ·
The factory fill diff oil in my '13 was not only a pint low, but was this dark nasty crap. I drained and replaced it with Amsoil Severe Gear, which is the only product I would use if you are going to do it.

#21 ·
2013sierrasle said:
The factory fill diff oil in my '13 was not only a pint low, but was this dark nasty crap. I drained and replaced it with Amsoil Severe Gear, which is the only product I would use if you are going to do it.
Thanks;
I don't think Amsoil Severe Gear is avalible in KSA. B.T.W, there are many grades of Amsoil Severe Gear, which one you are using for DG. I will see if I can find comparable product.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi everyone

I've got it changed this morning (KSA time) and luckely the diff gear is intact as new. Surprisingly, the fluid is clear. I have used ACDelco 75W-90 and added an Axil lubrication additive from GM. I changed as well the front diff fluid and the the transfer case. For the the transfer case I used GM Auto-Trak II.

By the way, the Amsoil is not avalible in Jeddah.

Thank you all for the help.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.