jQuery not supported.

98 silverado wont crank over

98 silverado wont crank over

Postby jwilliams74 [OP] » Nov 25 2019, 2:30pm

ok...im at a loss, with no good info on web I can find. my 98 silverado wont turn over. all my lights, radio, power options work, my relay in fuse box in engine compartment clicks (switched it out still nothing). I then went to starter, check main big strap ground that attaches right behind passenger side wheel well, its good. Then I see I have a small strap style coated braided copper (ground) that is broke off but I do not see where it was attached anywhere...I followed that broken strap up through a heat shield past manifolds and it is attached just behind and below the passenger side valve cover...tried to just temporarily ground it n heard one click and thats it...not sure what that broken straps for....not sure if its really my problem....any info? should I just put in a new starter? if it helps when this first became an issue I jumped in to start truck and it cranked over several times and then poof...nothing....
Original Poster
jwilliams74
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 1998
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.7l 4x4 z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 98 silverado wont crank over

Postby jwilliams74 [OP] » Nov 25 2019, 2:33pm

Id also like to add that intermittently before this my truck would do the same thing but it was just a matter of my positive battery terminal not staying tight (it is a side post -poor design in my opinion) and usually just tightening that down worked but not this time...
Original Poster
jwilliams74
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jwilliams74 [OP] » Dec 05 2019, 5:34pm

thanks for all the help folks........
Original Poster
jwilliams74
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Dec 05 2019, 6:09pm

Noticed this today, don't know why I didn't see a week or so before.
The ground strap thats broken needs to be attached to something. I do not know if a Haynes or other manual would have a picture or description of it. But a search for the other end is needed.
Is the strap broken in the middle?
Also, What condition is the battery in? Fully charged? I would remove that loose positive cable and clean it real good and make sure it was tight, look for pits and arc divots in the lead. Make sure the cable is good and not loose at both connections;Starter and battery.
Also do the same with the negative cable, remove clean and inspect.
See if you can get another ground strap at a auto parts store for that year and model, the new one will help with finding the other end.

I have a suspicion that battery terminal damage and that strap are preventing required voltage from getting to your starter.
Moving forward, IF the battery and ground are good to go and still no start, Remove starter and have it tested.
jake2250
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1960
Extra Info: Apache Step side
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jwilliams74 [OP] » Jan 07 2020, 2:19pm

I grounded the engine strap wich should not prevent my motor from starting but could be why my gauges were jumping around. I pulled my starter and the connections looked good but up inspecting the wire that comes from inside the starter to the 3rd spot on the solenoid it was all corroded and when i turned the nut to remove it the wire completely broke so Im guessing that is issue and I have anew starter ordered from junkyard to install....will update then I get that in and on. Thanks
Original Poster
jwilliams74
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Mid-West