jQuery not supported.

2001 door pannel removal

2001 door pannel removal

Postby 240c [OP] » Jan 28 2014, 3:32pm

Hello new to the Silverado and this site. I want to replace the front door speakers on my new to me 2001 Silverado. Is there a link or guide to the door panel removal? Don't want to break tabs and clips.
Original Poster
240c
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2001 door pannel removal

Postby Popsslowdog » Jan 30 2014, 3:02am

Hey Chris, welcome to the site. Sorry no one has answered you yet. I do not have a link to post, but will post a couple of pics of my 2000 passenger & driver's door with the panel on and off. Maybe I can explain it well enough to get you started. First, this is way easier than the earlier body style chev trucks. If you get one of the wide flat bladed body panel removal tools at the parts store it goes easier. However a common screwdriver or thin putty knife will also work. Just pry easy and sometimes from different angles.

At the top front of your door inside panel there is a small triangular shaped plastic panel, just inside from where the outside rearview mirror mounts. Insert your flat blade under that plastic panel and gently pry away from the metal frame. Only two tabs with a body panel clip on them here top corner of the triangle and the bottom "front" corner. the bottom "rear" corner has a tab that just slips under the metal-don't pry it.

DSC02462.JPG

Notice the bottom of the triangle area at the top of the pic. Then insert your body tool under the bottom edge of the panel at the upper (front) end of the arm rest that has the window switch and lock button in it and carefully pry it loose. Unplug the switches and set aside the switch panel.

Next, pry loose the kidney shaped piece of plastic shroud around the door handle and remove it. This piece does not actually attach through any holes, it merely has a couple of flat tabs that slip behind the edge of the larger hole in the door panel.

Now look in the opening left by the removal of the window switch arm rest panel and find the 7mm bolt. remove it. There may be a second identical 7mm bolt in the opening by the door handle, can't remember for sure-if there is a second bolt remove it.

Now just grab the armrest handle and lift the door panel approximately 1 inch and remove it from the door. Do this carefully just in case the clear plastic vapor barrier sheeting is stuck to the door panel. You do not want to tear this sheet if possible. That is it. I will throw a picture up of the bare door so you can see it and one that has the vapor barrier plastic re-installed after my speaker replacement and sound damping installation. Good luck and again weocome!
Attachments
DSC02431.JPG
DSC02489.JPG
Popsslowdog
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 3500HD Duramax 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 240c [OP] » Jan 31 2014, 2:02am

Wow thanks that's a great help. You have the same model I do as well even better. What holds the seat heater switch in ?
Original Poster
240c
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Popsslowdog » Jan 31 2014, 3:26am

Chris I think the heater switch is in small a panel similar to the door lock. It justs pushes into it's opening. My truck does not have heated seats. The 2001 Burb that I sold 2 1/2 years ago did have and if I remember right it was on the door panel above the window switches and forward of the door lock switch. I did have to take it off twice working on the window regulator, but that was like 5 years ago.! Hope thar helps.
Popsslowdog
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Popsslowdog » Jan 31 2014, 3:29am

Here is a pic of my driver's door panel.
DSC02450.JPG
Popsslowdog
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 240c [OP] » Feb 03 2014, 3:41pm

Thanks for the help this will be todays project. New speakers and look at the door switch that is turning on and off with the movement of the door.
Original Poster
240c
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 240c [OP] » Feb 08 2014, 2:45am

Wow supper easy thanks. The paper speakers where wasted, nothing left of the outside edge.
Original Poster
240c
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Popsslowdog » Feb 08 2014, 3:09am

Glad to hear it went well for you Chris. Yeah my speaker surrounds were made out of paper too andther was hardly anything left on either speaker. My tweeters were OK but, I went ahead with some good component speakers. I have an extended cab and also replaced the rear door speakers. I had decided to keep the truck, so I spent a couple of grand and upgraded everthing. You can get some good speakers that will work well with the stock radio for around a 100-200 a pair. Good luck and enjoy your build.
Popsslowdog
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Mobile Electronics