jQuery not supported.

2019 Silverado Trail Boss Custom Stereo Upgrade

Re: 2019 Silverado Trail Boss Custom Stereo Upgrade

Postby GOAT721 » Sep 23 2019, 4:03pm

matt83223 wrote:
GOAT721 wrote:if your seats are like older ones, the bottom of the seat can/will sag with a person there (and more when going over bumps). how much clearance do you have between the sub and the bottom of the seat?

I have about an inch of clearance, I sat on it and stuck my hand under there the seat didn’t move at all, plus the underside of the seat is a cloth material that moves freely. I’m still thinking about getting a protective grill for the sub just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice. I put an 8 inch kicker in my wifes car, and had one in the factory box in my 01 suburban. I was very impressed for the price and size
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 23 2019, 4:40pm

Oh yeah I’ve always ran kicker and never had an issue. I’m a fan of the 8’s, just enough bass to give my music everything it needs. I listen to country and rock, I’m not trying to have people hear me coming down the road, just want it to sound good in my truck.

Original Poster
matt83223
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2019
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Sep 23 2019, 4:47pm

I would put a grill on it for sure. Consider the movement of the sub while playing. The outward excursion is gonna eat into that 1" clearance and you weren't going over a bump with a person in the seat, realizing the full possibility of seat sag at the same time as full outward excursion of the sub. Facing into the seat bottom chows output so an air gap would help performance and help the sub live a longer life. Same reason downfire boxes have a gap between the sub and floor. You won't find one flush mounted without some sort of riser.
Z Gloss/Undercoat-Leer-AVS-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 59
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 23 2019, 5:26pm

Agreed, grille has been ordered [emoji106]

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Oct 08 2019, 2:44am

I have made some progress on my install!! Everything is wired up and working great. Wiring harness worked great! Disconnected the aqua and beige connectors from my radio module, plugged them into the harness and plugged the harness back into my radio module.

The harness gave me all the speaker wires, and and extra set of front speaker wires for the sub. I connected the speaker wires to the input and output connectors supplied with the kicker key.

I did not need to run a line output converter because my amp accepts high or low level inputs so I just cut off the rca plugs and spliced them into the extra set of front speaker wires.

I ran power for both amps from the battery and through the firewall on a rubber port that was not being used, I just had to cut the end open.
ImageImage

I then ran all necessary wires to the back for the sub. I found a ground in the front and piggybacked on that for the key, for the sub I made my own ground.

I mounted the key on the front sound wall material, I used two existing holes and then made two more and ran zip ties through them, I also put Velcro on the back of the amp then zipped it on. I’m happy with the location, you can’t see it unless you look under the dash, and all the adjustments are on the left side so I can reach them if I need to.
ImageImage

I also added a protective grille for the sub and used upholstery paint to make the box black so it was less noticeable.
ImageImage

After running the auto tuning on the key amp and adjusting the gain it’s a night and day difference! I didn’t have to use much gain to get the volume where I want. So two thumbs up on the key, plenty of power and the soundstage is awesome. It does however make me want more out of the stock speakers, specifically the dash speakers, I have ordered some replacements.

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Oct 08 2019, 3:07am

I also chose to run the optional remote bass adjustment knob for the kicker sub and I’m really glad I did, it let’s me dial in the bass for when I want a little more or less depending on what I’m listening too.

If your not familiar with this it can get people in trouble if you don’t adjust your gain accordingly. I found what worked best for me was to turn the bass knob all the way up with the gain all the way down. Then get the volume to a good loud level, and slowly increase the gain till the bass is as much as you feel the sub can handle, I can tell by ear, some can’t so if you need to disconnect the sub and use a multi meter for this then do so. At this point the bass is too much, so I adjust the bass knob to about 50% and it’s perfect. With this setting I can add a little or take away the bass completely.

It kinda goes against traditional setup, where you would adjust the gain to get the bass you want. I tried this first but when you plug in the remote bass knob the gain setting is too high and you can potentially damage your sub if you crank the bass knob. This is why I chose to max out the bass knob first and then add gain. Worked for me.

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Oct 08 2019, 3:11am

Anybody have any input on what I need to do to get to the dash speakers? I have some on order and I’m curious if the grills just pop off or is there more involved?

I feel that most of the soundstage comes from the dash speakers so I have decided to change those out with some higher quality speakers. With the sub I’m not trying to get lows from the doors so I’m gonna start with the dash and I hope that will be sufficient for me.

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Oct 08 2019, 3:51am

I have those same speakers in my dash....but before installing them I popped off the speaker grilles. (They're only slightly glued into place.) I figured I didn't need grilles on the speaker and then built in dash grilles.
As far as getting to them, don't know if it's the same as my 2015, but you need to remove the A pillar covers first, and then start prying straight up on the back side of the grille where the dash is split, and across the entire dash with a plastic tool. The speakers are held in with two 7mm bolts.
When I installed the new speakers I just "tinned" the ends of the wires with solder and pushed them into the connector.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

89200 miles 2/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs pending

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 76
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Oct 08 2019, 3:54am

roorancher wrote:I have those same speakers in my dash....but before installing them I popped off the speaker grilles. (They're only slightly glued into place.) I figured I didn't need grilles on the speaker and then built in dash grilles.
As far as getting to them, don't know if it's the same as my 2015, but you need to remove the A pillar covers first, and then start prying straight up on the back side of the grille where the dash is split, and across the entire dash with a plastic tool. The speakers are held in with two 7mm bolts.
When I installed the new speakers I just "tinned" the ends of the wires with solder and pushed them into the connector.

Thanks for the input, I’ll look at a 2015 and see if it’s similar.

On the speakers how did they sound?

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Oct 08 2019, 11:57am

matt83223 wrote:Anybody have any input on what I need to do to get to the dash speakers? I have some on order and I’m curious if the grills just pop off or is there more involved?

I feel that most of the soundstage comes from the dash speakers so I have decided to change those out with some higher quality speakers. With the sub I’m not trying to get lows from the doors so I’m gonna start with the dash and I hope that will be sufficient for me.

I run those and like them. The grill is not removable. They fit fine.
Z Gloss/Undercoat-Leer-AVS-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 59
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Electronics