jQuery not supported.

2019 Silverado Trail Boss Custom Stereo Upgrade

2019 Silverado Trail Boss Custom Stereo Upgrade

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 18 2019, 6:45pm

Proud new owner of a 2019 trail boss custom, love the truck accept for a couple things, one of those being the stereo.

I spent hours surfing the web looking for information on speakers, amps, wire colors and locations... I finally determined what I need and how to go about it. So I figured I would post my install on here for anyone else looking to upgrade.

Some background info, I have the non-Bose system, with the 7” screen. With this system I have to turn the volume up to at least 75% most of the time... and it’s still lacking... but I’ve always been spoiled by premium audio.

Originally I was thinking to upgrade the speakers, I knew this would require an amp so I started looking at amps and how to get to the wires to install. In doing so I stumbled onto a fairly new amp from kicker called the kicker key. It’s a smart amp that uses the combination of pink noise and a microphone to calibrate your speakers and set the EQ accordingly. It puts out 45W X4 channels. It is claimed to make your factory speakers sound much better. I know for my own personal preference I will still need a sub.

So my plan for now is to start with the kicker key using factory speakers and add a sub. If I’m not satisfied I’ll upgrade the speakers later down the road.

Next on my list was finding a way to install it. All my searching paid off! Luckily the stereo module is located behind the passenger glove box. This means I do not have to take anything apart to get access to my speaker wires! I also found a YouTube video that led me to realize I could do all this with a custom wiring harness and not have to cut into my factory wires at all!! Big shout out to John for the harness!

https://youtu.be/7jzJhbfDpb0

So I will be mounting the very small kicker key under the dash, prob just zip it up. For the sub I will be making a custom box to fit under the back seat. I will be running a kicker dxa250.1 amp and one 8” kicker Compr sub.

I plan to get started on the install this weekend. I will post pics as I go. I will also give my opinion on the products I have chosen to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original Poster
matt83223
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2019
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2019 Silverado Trail Boss Custom Stereo Upgrade

Postby GOAT721 » Sep 18 2019, 8:47pm

sounds like a good start. I do think that you will want to swap out the speakers too, at least the door ones. usually the factory ones have very low wattage ratings.

I put polks in mine, they are run off the head unit and they sound very clear and accurate. I have a 12 inch jbl sub under the seat.

good luck with your install, I am interested to see how it turns out
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 18 2019, 10:41pm

GOAT721 wrote:

good luck with your install, I am interested to see how it turns out

Thanks! I hope it all goes well. Yeah I’m assuming it’s 50/50 I’ll need to change the speakers, I’ll see what the kicker key can do, it’s supposedly supposed to get the most out of your speakers...

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JH1973 » Sep 19 2019, 8:05pm

The Key amp has a lot of "set up" settings so be sure to study the manual.One of the features it has that you may need to use is the "load circuit".A lot of modern OEM sound systems need to detect a certain load in order to function properly and if the aftermarket system doesn't have this then the stereo will not even function.

That being said,that Kicker Key amp looks really neat.I love how compact it is which makes mounting it a breeze.I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.
JH1973
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 19 2019, 9:44pm

JH1973 wrote:The Key amp has a lot of "set up" settings so be sure to study the manual.One of the features it has that you may need to use is the "load circuit".A lot of modern OEM sound systems need to detect a certain load in order to function properly and if the aftermarket system doesn't have this then the stereo will not even function.

That being said,that Kicker Key amp looks really neat.I love how compact it is which makes mounting it a breeze.I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

I will be sure to follow all the instructions, I’ve already glanced over them in pdf, it seems pretty straight forward, all the settings are done with small dip switches.

I totally agree on its size and mounting. I’ll find somewhere under there to tuck it in, I’ll be sure to post pics.

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 22 2019, 11:39pm

I didn’t have a lot of time this weekend to get a lot done on my stereo. I decided to get the box out of the way. Very simple, constructed out of 3/4 MDF and covered in outdoor carpet. Fits right under the seat with the sub facing up.

I hope to finish the whole install next weekend.
ImageImageImage

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JH1973 » Sep 23 2019, 5:12am

Looks great! Sealed?How many cuft?
JH1973
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Sep 23 2019, 2:18pm

if your seats are like older ones, the bottom of the seat can/will sag with a person there (and more when going over bumps). how much clearance do you have between the sub and the bottom of the seat?
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 23 2019, 2:56pm

JH1973 wrote:Looks great! Sealed?How many cuft?

Thanks! It’s a sealed box, roughly .57 cu ft, it’s within the recommended range for the sub.

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matt83223 [OP] » Sep 23 2019, 2:58pm

GOAT721 wrote:if your seats are like older ones, the bottom of the seat can/will sag with a person there (and more when going over bumps). how much clearance do you have between the sub and the bottom of the seat?

I have about an inch of clearance, I sat on it and stuck my hand under there the seat didn’t move at all, plus the underside of the seat is a cloth material that moves freely. I’m still thinking about getting a protective grill for the sub just to be safe.

Original Poster
matt83223
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics