jQuery not supported.

Add on rear view camera, keeping stock radio, 99 silverado

Add on rear view camera, keeping stock radio, 99 silverado

Postby danteisme [OP] » Sep 15 2020, 3:16pm

I found a couple of other threads for this, but nothing quite specific to this situation. So, i figured i would start a new thread specific to this install scenario. My dad wants to install a rear view camera on his 99 silverado (honestly, i think its because he is getting older, not because he tows anything) and he does not want to change out his stock radio or upgrade to one that we can integrate a camera into. I showed him a couple on amazon, and he isnt thrilled to get one that has a separate screen that we would mount via suction cup or something to the windshield. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-VOX-T2-Moni ... Y6CFR?th=1

seems pretty straight forward, has decent reviews, and seems to check all of my dad's boxes on preferences.
Original Poster
danteisme
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Add on rear view camera, keeping stock radio, 99 silvera

Postby BigBlue2014 » Sep 15 2020, 3:39pm

danteisme wrote:I found a couple of other threads for this, but nothing quite specific to this situation. So, i figured i would start a new thread specific to this install scenario. My dad wants to install a rear view camera on his 99 silverado (honestly, i think its because he is getting older, not because he tows anything) and he does not want to change out his stock radio or upgrade to one that we can integrate a camera into. I showed him a couple on amazon, and he isnt thrilled to get one that has a separate screen that we would mount via suction cup or something to the windshield. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

seems pretty straight forward, has decent reviews, and seems to check all of my dad's boxes on preferences.

Hey Dante, I purchased this exact unit and installed it on my parents H***a pilot. The installation was very straight forward and the quality of the camera and screen are great. I highly recommend this unit.

I have the power source tapped into the reverse light to trigger the camera and screen to turn on when the vehicle is put into reverse, and other than that it acts like the stock mirror.
BigBlue2014
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby danteisme [OP] » Sep 15 2020, 4:24pm

BigBlue2014 wrote:
danteisme wrote:I found a couple of other threads for this, but nothing quite specific to this situation. So, i figured i would start a new thread specific to this install scenario. My dad wants to install a rear view camera on his 99 silverado (honestly, i think its because he is getting older, not because he tows anything) and he does not want to change out his stock radio or upgrade to one that we can integrate a camera into. I showed him a couple on amazon, and he isnt thrilled to get one that has a separate screen that we would mount via suction cup or something to the windshield. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Hey Dante, I purchased this exact unit and installed it on my parents H***a pilot. The installation was very straight forward and the quality of the camera and screen are great. I highly recommend this unit.

I have the power source tapped into the reverse light to trigger the camera and screen to turn on when the vehicle is put into reverse, and other than that it acts like the stock mirror.

Awesome, just the type of information i was hoping to hear. I think this one might be the winner for my dad's truck. thanks for the response!
Original Poster
danteisme
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tortuga13 » Sep 15 2020, 5:25pm

BigBlue2014,

How is the field of view of this AUTO-VOX camera compared to the OEM camera that mounts in the tailgate handle bezel? It seems like the OEM camera just shows the hitch area. Does this one give a wider field of view in your opinion? I'm considering adding one to my truck and was considering OEM style, but this looks like a great option too.
tortuga13
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: LT Crew Cab 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BigBlue2014 » Sep 15 2020, 6:50pm

tortuga13 wrote:BigBlue2014,

How is the field of view of this AUTO-VOX camera compared to the OEM camera that mounts in the tailgate handle bezel? It seems like the OEM camera just shows the hitch area. Does this one give a wider field of view in your opinion? I'm considering adding one to my truck and was considering OEM style, but this looks like a great option too.

The field of view is wider with this one over the OEM style mounted one for a few reasons. One of which is because you mount it over the license plate and NOT into the handle so its not pointed down, but more outward.
BigBlue2014
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vroom_vroom » Sep 15 2020, 8:57pm

tailgate masters has rear view cameras that are plug and play for all the onstar stuffs and look clean and correct. put one in my '11 for the same reason as i didnt want to change the oem radio. not cheap but the cleanest looking option for not replacing the radio.
'11 1500 sle 6.2 4x4=new dd
''18 winnie drop tt (little rambo)
'77 T/A 6.6 t-10-lots of go fast
'15 GMC terrain
vroom_vroom
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 6.2 4x4