jQuery not supported.

Adding More Powerful Door Speakers

Adding More Powerful Door Speakers

Postby NoviceUser [OP] » Sep 23 2019, 1:24am

I have a 2009 silverado 1500 extended cab without the Bose system. Under the rear seat I have 2 10 inch Hertz subs and an Alpine amp with a Sony XAV-AX1000 head unit. I want to add better door speakers all around and something to replace my stock tweeters. Anyone have any suggestions. Also, if the speakers need an amp how would wiring, install, etc be?
Original Poster
NoviceUser
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 15
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Adding More Powerful Door Speakers

Postby Technik » Sep 26 2019, 4:29pm

I've always been a fan of Infinity's Reference series as a good upgrade from stock, and the Kappa series as a step up from that. You should be able to drop them straight in using factory harness adapters and mounting plates from somewhere like Crutchfield. The tweeters are a little harder to upgrade as they are a non-standard mounting design, but you can typically get something mounted with hot glue or a piece of mounting strap. You can also disconnect the stock tweeters and install yours on the sail panels that cover the mirror mounting bolts.

For installing an amp, I'd install a small 4 channel under the back seat and run appropriately sized power, something like Stinger Speedwire (all 9 conductors, remote turn-on and your four speaker +/- in one jacket for ease of installation), and RCA cables underneath the door and B pillar trim to it. You'll have to connect the amp power to your battery with an appropriately sized fuse, then connect the amp ground to a clean location under the back seat. Connect the speaker wires and remote wire to the appropriate locations on the amplifier and connect the other ends to the factory speaker wires and remote turn-on from your head unit using a set of plug-in harness adapters.

That's the basics, anyway.
Technik
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 CCSB 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NoviceUser [OP] » Sep 26 2019, 5:34pm

Technik
I already have an amp and subs. So would another amp be too much strain on the system? Also could I mount the small amp under the passenger front seat as my current sub box takes up all the space under the rear seats
Original Poster
NoviceUser
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Technik » Sep 26 2019, 5:41pm

Sure. You can mount an amp anywhere, really, as long as you’re able to run the necessary cables to it and it gets adequate air circulation for cooling.
Technik
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 CCSB 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Sep 26 2019, 6:00pm

There are some pretty small amps out there. Having subs, you might want to amplify the doors to stop the subs from walking all over the rest of the stereo when more bass is desired. Aftermarket speakers even if spec'd for real low RMS, they always sound better amplified. I was a big fan of Infinity and still am, but I met Focal and never turned back. Even their entry level is amazing. Check out their Integration series.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISC165 ... C-165.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISS165 ... S-165.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/g_120/All-C ... #&clearAll
Under the filter "Type" tab, scroll down to "More" and "Mini" will be a filter option. Some of these will fit under the dash.
Z Gloss/Undercoat-Leer-AVS-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 58
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 » Sep 26 2019, 6:06pm

i have always been a fan of polk. I put them in the doors of my '15 and even run off the factory hu, they sound very clear
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 42
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NoviceUser [OP] » Sep 26 2019, 6:18pm

This is going to sound really stupid but how do I determine the RMS of the door speakers. Do I multiply the listed RMS since I would be getting a pair and add that to the other door speakers?
Original Poster
NoviceUser
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Sep 26 2019, 6:41pm

RMS is Root Means Square. In layman's RMS is just the peak wattage a speaker can handle comfortably all day long. The "peak" wattage is just that. It's capability of handling a musical peak at that wattage briefly like when a bass line hits for example. This is per speaker. The same goes for an amp. It's the output rather than handling though. You wanna match speaker RMS specs and amp RMS per channel at a given ohm load. Ex. 40 watts X 4 RMS @4 ohms per channel so two pairs of 4 ohm speakers with 40 RMS spec on each speaker would be perfect. You can be off a bit, just as long as it's close. Lots of manufacturers lie about specs so look for CEA-2006 certified products. Thes products specs are true. If it's not certified they might not be telling you the truth. No question is dumb btw.
Z Gloss/Undercoat-Leer-AVS-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 58
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby CritterGitter » Sep 26 2019, 6:58pm

NoviceUser wrote:Technik
I already have an amp and subs. So would another amp be too much strain on the system? Also could I mount the small amp under the passenger front seat as my current sub box takes up all the space under the rear seats

I would like to echo the sentiment for the Infinity line of speakers as I have their reference line in all four doors. Great sound even being pushed by just my head unit (Rosen). That said... a lot of brands out there offer a quality replacement speaker that is going to be a major upgrade from the factory junk in these trucks. I have had good luck with kicker, polk, etc. on other vehicles.

A second amp MIGHT not be that much of a strain on the system but it very well could be. It all depends on how much total power your pushing between both amps. Personally, If I were running two amps, I'd be doing "the big 3 upgrade". There are some very good write ups/how-to out there you can reference and those with more elaborate stereos see substantial results in doing this upgrade. Here a couple examples from a quick search on the big 3 topic...

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106041

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/sh ... hp?t=40677
CritterGitter
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby NoviceUser [OP] » Sep 26 2019, 9:25pm

Thanks. My other amp is a 500w alpine unit. Is the "big 3" worth it?
Original Poster
NoviceUser
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics