jQuery not supported.

Forward looking Camera!

Forward looking Camera!

Postby Apocolips [OP] » Dec 15 2019, 6:25pm

Hello everyone. I am new here, I'm in the process of buying a 2017 Silverado 1500 High Country. It's a beautiful truck and am looking forward to getting it. There is a problem with space however. My garage is only about 21' deep so parking in far enough so the garage door can come down and I can still squeeze around the front is going to be a problem. Now for my question, can a forward looking camera be integrated with the existing MyLink unit? I have a C7 Corvette with the cameras in front and they are a real help when parking. I'm in hopes that because both the truck and the Corvette are 2017's and they both have the MyLink system that maybe it can be done. Thanks in advance to anyone with information and it's good to be here!
Original Poster
Apocolips
Topics: 3
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Forward looking Camera!

Postby Contra » Dec 15 2019, 6:33pm

not sure about that, but I have in the past used the tennis ball on a string method.
Contra
First Responder
First Responder
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Extra Info: Double Cab 1500 4WD
Group Membership:
Registered users
First Responders

Postby Apocolips [OP] » Dec 15 2019, 7:45pm

Contra wrote:not sure about that, but I have in the past used the tennis ball on a string method.

Old reliable method. I may have to do that but a camera would be great!!
Original Poster
Apocolips
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancherroorancher is online! » Dec 15 2019, 8:39pm

I second tennis ball...or screw a wheel chock to the garage floor.

Just because the technology exists, doesn't mean it's useful or adds value. The camera still won't tell you how far from the wall you are, and mounting it on the part of the truck that sticks out the furthest, (bumper,) would look ridiculous.

If anyone offered anything, it would be www.camera-source.com.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

89200 miles 2/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs pending

Diablew Tune
roorancherroorancher is online!
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 76
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Dec 15 2019, 10:34pm

ADCmobile has a video where Walt shows use of a front mounted camera on his Tahoe. He mounted a double-throw switch and could switch between his back-up cam and the front cam. The video shows him pulling into a parking spot. Good idea if that is what you're after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrGZDX16WB8

Personally, I use a plastic whiffle golf ball on a string.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 19,440 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Apocolips [OP] » Dec 16 2019, 2:24pm

Thanks everyone, I was hoping that because the MyLink in my C7 was essentially the same as the one in the truck, that it could be as easy as plug and play. The camera in the C7 works great for parking in the garage and avoiding curbs and obstructions that would damage a low car. It’s looking like it might be more of a problem than I thought. The tennis ball method is looking better by the $$$$.
Original Poster
Apocolips
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Dec 16 2019, 2:30pm

Or put a bit of tape on the ground and line up your tire. That way you’re not having to worry about a ball hanging in your garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby hunt4steve » Dec 16 2019, 4:48pm

I just ordered the Rostra 250-8456 interface, that will allow integration of a front camera, as well as side mirror cameras. As with all Full-Size rigs, seeing over the hood and planning on what you are going to drive over, is quite difficult. This Rostra should make that guessing a thing of the past. I'll get a pic or two during the install as well as functional video of it in action. While I don't park in a garage, I'm can certainly see how this would be awesome for that kind of activity.

However, when I was parking a car in the garage, the old time-tested tennis ball was the perfect stop-marker. I set one up for my mother in law and watched her pull into the garage, leaning her body to the side of the seat, trying to get herself lined up with the tennis ball (head-slap moment). Now, nobody parks in the garage, too many tools, and other projects going on there.
hunt4steve
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Extra Info: 4x4 CC LTZ Midnight
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Apocolips [OP] » Dec 16 2019, 5:13pm

Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to hearing how the install goes!
Original Poster
Apocolips
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dav2no1 » Dec 16 2019, 9:08pm

2012 SILVERADO LTZ 5.3L -4x4 -6 Speed -Bilstein- K&N -Borla- Line.X -GM Steps -LEDs-Diablew Tuned
1964 C-10 383 Stroker -12 Bolt Posi -Custom Holley 650 -Hurst Shifter -Stan's Headers -2 1/2" duals w/H pipe-40 series Flowmasters
dav2no1
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 5.3L LTZ 4X4 6 speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics