jQuery not supported.

How Hard is it to DIY?

How Hard is it to DIY?

Postby 2012GMCTX [OP] » Apr 14 2013, 9:47pm

Ive got some stereo equipment from about 10 years ago that I took out of my truck at that point and never reinstalled. I had it professionally installed at that time.

Now, I would like to put it in my 2012 Crew, however I dont currently have the money to have it professionally installed. How hard is it to DIY? I had a second battery, a cap, 3 amps, 2 12"s. Ive never done an install so I dont know what it takes to get everything sounding good.

Should I just save up and have it professionally installed or is it something that a novice can do?
Original Poster
2012GMCTX
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2018
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: CrewCab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How Hard is it to DIY?

Postby Wade_660 » Apr 14 2013, 10:34pm

Does your truck have Bose? If so id pay someone because it throws a wrench in everything. If it doesn't have Bose I say go for it.
Wade_660
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 NNBS CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dmanj » Apr 14 2013, 10:40pm

Is that all you are installing? What kind of amps are they? If you only listen to music when you are driving, I'd leave out the battery. And I'd ditch the cap regardless.
Dmanj
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Terrain
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2012GMCTX [OP] » Apr 14 2013, 10:43pm

The truck does not have bose. Dmanj why would you ditch the cap? When I had it installed in my previous truck it helped considerably in keeping power from being drained...
Original Poster
2012GMCTX
Topics: 9
Year: 2018
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: CrewCab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dmanj » Apr 14 2013, 10:48pm

Drained from what? A capacitor is a constant strain on your alternator, and if your system is powerful enough that your alternator can't provide adequate power, you need a bigger alternator, not a capacitor. A capacitor on an already strained electrical system will just will your alternator faster.
Dmanj
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Explicit_Spade » Apr 15 2013, 10:23am

You may want to start by seeing if your box fits, or if you'll need a new one.

You'll most likely need a line level converter for the amp to receive signal from the speakers. I looked for an interface like pac audio has for the 07-10 trucks but couldn't find one, maybe someone else makes one. Here's what that would look like http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails ... egoryID=28 That would be preferred over a line level converter.

Other than that, just a wiring kit should take care of your needs. Once you have everything, the install itself is pretty simple.
06 Silverado 1500- 5.3 LT3 Z71
86 Monte Carlo SS- 5.3 4L80E Turbo Project
02 Accord- Daily
Explicit_Spade
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 5.3 1500 LT3 Z71
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby kempy624 » Apr 15 2013, 11:52am

Keep the cap, no offense dmanj, but you dont know what your talking about. The cap is gonna keep u from killing ur alternator and your battery. Your instal is easy enough. Remember, postive to positive, negative to negative. And ur gonna need power and ground. Theres 1000's of youtube videos with step by step.
kempy624
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 38
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Texas Editon
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby 01darkhorse » Apr 15 2013, 12:35pm

kempy624 wrote:Keep the cap, no offense dmanj, but you dont know what your talking about. The cap is gonna keep u from killing ur alternator and your battery. Your instal is easy enough. Remember, postive to positive, negative to negative. And ur gonna need power and ground. Theres 1000's of youtube videos with step by step.

X2 my cap always helped me out with my 2 l5 squares and 800 watt audiobahn amp
01darkhorse
Topics: 26
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 1500 ext cab z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kempy624 » Apr 15 2013, 12:58pm

Basically, a cap holds a certain ammount of power in it. your battery holds a certain amount of power in it. ur alternator puts out so much power. and ur amp drains so much power. if ur amp drains more power than ur alternator can put out u start having issues. lights being dim, battery dying, and things of that such. The cap is gonna save u from burning up ur alternator ever 2 months and killing ur batterey ever few weeks. The cap will save so much trouble. invet in a really good one, dish out the extra cash for an 8-10 fraad. Its worth the money, u can put it on any system, and transfer through ur vehicles until u burn it out, and unless ur running 10,000 plus watts dump for 12 hours a day, thats not gonna happen. and buying a bigger alternator is an issue no matter what u drive, there exspensive and 9 times outtta 10, they are made specifically for ur vehicle, they are group together with other models. such as sierra sl, sle, slt, denali. 1500-3500 from 2000 to 2014. (just an generalization) so u have to end up modding for it to fit and work right, and that more trouble then its worth.
kempy624
Topics: 38
Year: 2011
Extra Info: Texas Editon
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Dmanj » Apr 15 2013, 4:44pm

Let's put it this way, your alternator puts out a certain amount of current based on the load that is attached to it. When that amount of power required exceeds the amount of power the alternator can supply, the alternator will increase the current output in an attempt to hold the voltage. Increased current causes an increase of heat, and heat is what kills alternators.

Small caps, such as 1nF caps, take micro seconds to charge, however, large caps such are 1F or 8F caps take a long time to charge. A capacitor charges when current enters the cap and when the cap finishes charging, no more current enters the capacitor.

So we have 3 loads on the alternator. The vehicle itself, the battery and the stereo. As you have said kempy624, if the system requires more power than the alternator can supply you get issues. The reason the battery starts dying is because your amp starts drawing power from the battery since it can't pull any more from the alternator. So now you add in the capacitor and what happens? The alternator must now supply current to all of these loads, which we already know it couldn't do in the first place.

A capacitor is more like a bandaid to a small problem, however, it creates larger problems in the future. The alternator is the foundation for your stereo.

You might want to take a look at this site: http://www.bcae1.com/ Number 46 on the navigation bar is capacitors and will explain more of what I have said.
Dmanj
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics