jQuery not supported.

Mounting subwoofers in a box, the right way

The use of T-nuts and bolts to install subs rather than screws.

Re: Mounting subwoofers in a box, the right way

Postby SMOKE » Jan 21 2012, 1:30pm

Just wanted to add my .02 - they also make threaded inserts for wood, kinda like a helicoil for metal. You drill the hole for.the insert size and press it in place. The inserts have barbs on the outer side which holds them in place... I used them I'm my sub box with a dab of epoxy and they are set for life. All the ideas previously mentioned work just as well. I mean if you really think about it, once.the subs are.set why do you need to remove them.
SMOKE
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 31
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevyfamman » Jun 08 2012, 9:43am

You can do it any way you want but this and some other ideas mentioned work as well. If your like me I hate the sound of rattling in any sub situation. Its just up to you and how much EFFORT and TIME you want to put into the project. This will Determine the QUALITY of your sound. My .02 though.
Chevyfamman

"Disneyland,White House,JFKandMickey Mouse,John Wayne,Springsteen,Eastwood,James Dean,Coca Cola,Pepsi, Playboy,Text me,NFL,NBA,Brett Favre,King James"
Chevyfamman
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Ext Cab 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby diglightdig » Jul 10 2012, 9:19pm

The t-nuts are definitely the best way to mount your subs. This made me think about the show on Velocity Channel called "Street Customs" because they just use the self tapping screws. They are supposed to be a "high end" install shop and they don't mount the subs with the t-nuts. I think it's pathetic that people are paying them "top dollar" and not even getting the best install techniques. But go figure, they are the same guys that did installs on the show "Pimp My Ride". What a joke.
diglightdig
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 Stock
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chev » May 13 2013, 5:46pm

Great thread
Chev
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JesseJamesTX » Aug 04 2013, 4:18pm

You are a GENIUS!! I took my system out of my 08 before I traded it in and since I will not be putting it in my new 14 for a while, I think I am going to do this to my box.
JesseJamesTX
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: LTZ TX Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ctchap70 » May 04 2014, 1:55pm

Nice Idea! Don't know if I will do it or not but it is deffinately PRO-fessional! I too am anal about crooked logos! It erks me.
2015 Crew Cab Z71 LT Package, Raceline Assault 20x9 18" OS with Goodyear Duratrac 275/60/20 Tires, Rough Country 2.5" lift. Proud NRA Member!
ctchap70
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Crew Cab Z71 LTZ 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bricooper78 » Jun 29 2014, 8:49pm

For the comment about backing out screws, you can put ***** 1 DOT ***** of thread locker on them before installation, you will still be able to remove them, I can't remember if it's red or blue, read the package before you buy it, but there is lock-tite that can be removed if need be later. Metal on metal with the vibration from a sub wlll cause them to back out, that's normal. They do it in wood sometimes too.

Also, do not install things with a drill. With your hand, you know when it's tight, and can do that "bump" quarter turn past. With a drill, it's all helter-skelter until there is a stripped hole, with or without the torque settings... I've done it doing this, I know a hundred others who have, I've installed for 20 years now, it's not a good practice, start a hole with a drill bit that's smaller than the screw (just the shaft size, all of the thread should be sticking out past the bit), and predrill holes, then put the screws in. That ruined speaker won't happen that way, neither will wood screws stripped out.

That's all I can add, I've personally not used OP's way, but nowdays working in furniture sales, see them constantly underneath couches where feet screw in, and those Ts never back from that application lol
bricooper78
Topics: 5
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Alfred Payne » Jun 29 2014, 9:29pm

You'd want to use blue locktite. I've also used a dab of fingernail polish if locktite wasn't available.

Sent from my LG G2
Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L
4" Tuff Country lift
20" BMF Novakanes
MBRP cat back
Alfred Payne
Topics: 24
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 LTZ 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby bricooper78 » Jul 02 2014, 2:31am

Okay thanks, I thought blue, that's what comes on the furniture hardware, but I couldn't remember 100%. Never realized fingernail polish would do the trick either!!
bricooper78
Topics: 5
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby htx316 » Mar 20 2015, 8:40pm

really useless IMH, even with all loud set up this isnt necessary, highly doubt yall jam out loud in here where yall have to worry about a leaking air box due to stripped screw holes
htx316
Topics: 19
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 SingleCab
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Electronics