jQuery not supported.

New System Considered

Re: New System Considered

Postby Rambodog » Feb 14 2020, 7:53am

6.5" in the rear doors
6 X 9 in the front doors
2.75" in the dash

The front doors can be altered with an adapter plate to accept a 6.5" or 6.75" speaker. You will note that Crutchfield shows 6 X 9's as a direct fits your ride gig and the 6.5 and 6.75 is listed as modified fit. The plate to adapt is simple to have other options. An adapter to mount a 6.5" and a tweeter is another option so a component set could be used in the door.
There are only 3 viable direct fit options for the 2.75 dash speakers. I am running Kenwoods 2.75". Power Bass and Memphis have an option as well. There is a 4th out there, but it is OEM style so no real upgrade. The Kenwoods are the only real upgrade in comparison to the other options IMO. I have the Kenwoods in Parallel to some Focals in the doors. This is how the factory wired them. On 150 watts RMS they sound fantastic. The dash and door share the power in Parallel so each front door gets 75 RMS and each dash speaker gets 75 RMS. You could drop a tweeter in the dash, but I wouldn't. The set up on the dash is really to support the vocals so your stage will be off without them being Mid/Tweeters on the dash.
FWIW, I amped the OE dash speakers with about 45 watts RMS and they brightened up alot. They couldn't handle much bass so I used a Bass blocker for the heck of it and it played 200 Hz and up rather well. If you were really on a budget, you could try to use them in your build and put a cap on them.
Ceramic/Undercoat-Leer-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Dark Audio-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby LRod » Feb 14 2020, 8:02am

Rambodog wrote:6.5" in the rear doors
6 X 9 in the front doors
2.75" in the dash

The front doors can be altered with an adapter plate to accept a 6.5" or 6.75" speaker. You will note that Crutchfield shows 6 X 9's as a direct fits your ride gig and the 6.5 and 6.75 is listed as modified fit. The plate to adapt is simple to have other options. An adapter to mount a 6.5" and a tweeter is another option so a component set could be used in the door.
There are only 3 viable direct fit options for the 2.75 dash speakers. I am running Kenwoods 2.75". Power Bass and Memphis have an option as well. There is a 4th out there, but it is OEM style so no real upgrade. I have the Kenwoods in Parallel to some Focals in the doors. This is how the factory wired them. On 100 watts RMS they sound fantastic. You could drop a tweeter in the dash, but I wouldn't. The set up on the dash is really to support the vocals so your stage will be off without them being Mid/Tweeters on the dash.
Excellent! I didn't notice that it said modified fit. Now I know! I don't want any adapters or anything, just a straight same size replacement. Thanks for that!
What's weird though is that I just went on Crutchfield's site and regardless which I select, it says "fits with bracket". Even when I select a 6x9 for the front doors or a 6x5 for the rears. None of them say direct fit! I figure though that a 6x9 is a 6x9 no matter what and should fit regardless and same thing for the 6.5's. Anyways, with the sizes you told me it makes it easy enough. At least I know what's behind those panels now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
LRod
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 40
Year: 2019
Extra Info: LD 5.3 V8 LT 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Feb 14 2020, 8:18am

I remember why now. It's because the factory used speakers with the bracket built in. Aftermarket will require a bracket so no matter what your using brackets. Use Speaker baffles from Crutchfield and a F.A.S.T kit and cut out the rear of the baffle so the speaker has an umbrella to keep water from dripping above. Cut it out so the speaker is still open to the door cavity. Don't make a tube, just a roof or awning on top of the speakers. The OE one sets into the bracket in a recessed location leaving it out of harms way. Spend all this $ on speakers so why not protect them for cheap in the long run. Use the F.A.S.T kit to couple the door panel to the door to keep door cavity noise out. The factory used one and so should you.
Ceramic/Undercoat-Leer-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Dark Audio-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby LRod » Feb 14 2020, 8:21am

Rambodog wrote:I remember why now. It's because the factory used speakers with the bracket built in. Aftermarket will require a bracket so no matter what your using brackets. Use Speaker baffles from Crutchfield or a F.A.S.T kit and cut out the rear of the baffle so the speaker has an umbrella to keep water from dripping above. Cut it out so the speaker is still open to the door cavity. Don't make a tube, just an umbrella on top of the speakers. The OE one sets into the bracket in a recessed location leaving it out of harms way. Spend all this $ on speakers so why not protect them for cheap in the long run. Use the F.A.S.T kit to couple the door panel to the door to keep door cavity noise out. The factory used one and so should you.
Will do! When I get around to it, I'll do it right. I don't like cheaping out on stuff. Good observation!

LRod
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraWilks [OP] » Feb 14 2020, 4:26pm

Rambodog wrote:6.5" in the rear doors
6 X 9 in the front doors
2.75" in the dash

There are only 3 viable direct fit options for the 2.75 dash speakers. I am running Kenwoods 2.75". Power Bass and Memphis have an option as well. There is a 4th out there, but it is OEM style so no real upgrade. The Kenwoods are the only real upgrade in comparison to the other options IMO. I have the Kenwoods in Parallel to some Focals in the doors. This is how the factory wired them. On 150 watts RMS they sound fantastic. The dash and door share the power in Parallel so each front door gets 75 RMS and each dash speaker gets 75 RMS. You could drop a tweeter in the dash, but I wouldn't. The set up on the dash is really to support the vocals so your stage will be off without them being Mid/Tweeters on the dash.
FWIW, I amped the OE dash speakers with about 45 watts RMS and they brightened up alot. They couldn't handle much bass so I used a Bass blocker for the heck of it and it played 200 Hz and up rather well. If you were really on a budget, you could try to use them in your build and put a cap on them.

I had to chase my Kenwood dash speakers down because they're out of stock at Crutchfield (have been for awhile).....had to do a web search to find them.
Original Poster
SierraWilks
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Feb 14 2020, 7:29pm

I got mine on Ebay. Yes the pic shows the wrong size, but the rest of info shows correct. This is the same seller I got mine from if anyone is interested in getting any.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-EXCELO ... 2d01b3535a
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby SierraWilks [OP] » Feb 16 2020, 6:32pm

UPDATE.....I've got about a week with this new system and am really enjoying it the more I listen...it's so nice actually having clean vocals and actual bass in the music now....couldn't be happier.
Original Poster
SierraWilks
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LRod » Feb 16 2020, 7:11pm

SierraWilks wrote:UPDATE.....I've got about a week with this new system and am really enjoying it the more I listen...it's so nice actually having clean vocals and actual bass in the music now....couldn't be happier.
That's awrsome! It would be great if you could post the exact components that you used in order to do the upgrade. Since the thread is long, the info is scattered. I'd love to know exactly what you installed.
LRod

LRod
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraWilks [OP] » Feb 16 2020, 7:35pm

LRod wrote:
SierraWilks wrote:UPDATE.....I've got about a week with this new system and am really enjoying it the more I listen...it's so nice actually having clean vocals and actual bass in the music now....couldn't be happier.
That's awrsome! It would be great if you could post the exact components that you used in order to do the upgrade. Since the thread is long, the info is scattered. I'd love to know exactly what you installed.
LRod

here ya go....

door speakers...https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R6532E ... tml?tp=105

these were on sale when I bought them for $75 a pr.

dash speakers....https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113X2C/Ke ... tml?tp=105

mini amp....https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KEY180 ... l?tp=72998

powered sub....https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/RW10CA/

I bought the amp and the plug and play harness from John Adams.... https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... ction=view

I got the amp install and John's info from Jeff's install thread here....Kicker Key Amplifier 180.4

The Infinity 's were suggested by Crutchfield...there are several threads here where members have called them for suggestions and they seem to suggest different speakers every time...I guess it depends on who you talk to....mine have worked out well...there are several ways you can go tho depending on preference.
Original Poster
SierraWilks
Group Membership:
Registered users