jQuery not supported.

OEM map update

OEM map update

Postby Tom51 [OP] » Nov 03 2019, 4:11pm

Does anybody know how often map updates are available? The v.2020 is available for purchase now, $99 if purchased before Dec 31. If it's just one per year, I'll get it now. I have a 2018 Denali 3500, so the data is 2017 and there's been a lot of changes in new construction in my area.
Original Poster
Tom51
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2018
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: OEM map update

Postby MIKE91B » Nov 04 2019, 10:35pm

Gm has a website for map updates but I can’t for the life of me find it right now. Be careful of the World Wide Web searches, they will lead you to aftermarket sites left and right. Also I would like to warn you about GM’s updates as they tend to be rather outdated. Don’t expect much. Your phone is a much better option. I’ll try to post up the actual website tomorrow. I had a customer just last week that bought a bum usb update, it came in what looked to be a GM box, but it wasn’t even for her car.
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Nov 04 2019, 10:56pm

They should be updated every year. I bought my 2015 Sierra maps from them for $99 also. They are only showing v.2019 for mine which is what I bought earlier this year. After a while they stop making maps for the vehicles I hope this year wasn't the last update for mine.
Oh and here is the website for Mike https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/home/en_US/GMNA/USD

17x9 +12 Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Tom51 [OP] » Nov 05 2019, 6:19pm

I have the correct site through MyGMC, but thanks for the heads up on the "alternatives" that are out there. I know that apps on my phone are much more up to date and functional. My daughter plays college volleyball, 2 years at a Junior College in Wyoming, and now 2 years at a University in North Dakota. Cell coverage only goes so far on that trip from Colorado... Sygic app is a great option as it works offline, but the convenience of the map on the dash and not dealing with mounts and cables and associated frustrations of the phone while pulling a trailer make upgrading the OEM map very attractive.
Original Poster
Tom51
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2018
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 3500HD 6.6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Nov 05 2019, 6:47pm

Use Android Auto or Apple Car Play instead. They both use Google Maps and Google Navigation now, and the maps are updated REAL TIME. Even Waze is better than GM Nav.
GM Nav is out of date the second you update it. Not to mention the fact that it is clumsy and slow IMHO.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

108,500 miles 11/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 105
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Nov 05 2019, 11:23pm

Tom51 wrote:I have the correct site through MyGMC, but thanks for the heads up on the "alternatives" that are out there. I know that apps on my phone are much more up to date and functional. My daughter plays college volleyball, 2 years at a Junior College in Wyoming, and now 2 years at a University in North Dakota. Cell coverage only goes so far on that trip from Colorado... Sygic app is a great option as it works offline, but the convenience of the map on the dash and not dealing with mounts and cables and associated frustrations of the phone while pulling a trailer make upgrading the OEM map very attractive.

I completely agree. I don't like having phones, garmin gps or whatever hanging around with their chords.
We rented a 2016 Impala with car play and android auto and it did not impress. I love the built in nav in the truck.

17x9 +12 Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X Premium* DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby RoyGray » Nov 20 2020, 1:27am

I just did an update today and for $99 bucks it’s much cheaper than upgrading my 15 to CarPlay.
I have CarPlay in my car but for $1150 bucks I can buy a lot of updates.
Can I use this update in another truck? My friend has a 15 Serria.
Last edited by RoyGray on Nov 20 2020, 1:39am, edited 1 time in total.
RoyGray
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Extra Info: LTZ 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Nov 20 2020, 1:28am

Nope. The update is only for your truck and won't work in another one.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby RoyGray » Nov 20 2020, 1:39am

I figured that but had to ask
RoyGray
Topics: 13
Extra Info: LTZ 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tsuintx » Nov 21 2020, 4:35am

I used to prefer factory navi, but hated how they are so outdated out of the box. Now that my truck has Car Play, I’m good to go. My truck only has the stupid OnStar navi, anyway.

Situation is just the opposite on my wife’s Suburban, though. It has factory navi, but since it’s a ‘15, it’s missing Car Play. Might actually swing the hundred bucks to update it for her. She still uses her phone for navigation, though, but oh well.
2016 Silverado LT 4x4 Crew Cab
2015 Suburban LT
2012 BMW K1600GTL Premium
2007 Infiniti G35
tsuintx
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 4x4 Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Mobile Electronics