jQuery not supported.

Rear Speakers Not Working

Rear speakers are not working for 2008 Silverado on an Aftermarket Android Head unit with small amp.

Rear Speakers Not Working

Postby mx07423 [OP] » Aug 02 2020, 2:20pm

I'm at a loss here and I am not sure what to check next. I have a 2008 Silverado 2500HD and I decided to upgrade the head unit. I m using the Dasaita Andriod 9.0 headunit, metra wire harness, a kicker pxa300.4 amp, and some alpine 6.5 speakers. The stock was the plain CD player so no factory amp that I am aware of. I double checked all my connections checked for continuity from the amp to the speakers and the speakers to the amp. I am starting to think the amp is not working in the rear channels but I have never seen that before. I have no sub so I turned the filters off, I also tried 60hz since the speakers are 70 to 2500K. The install instructions said to remove the RCA plugs for the speakers on the amp harness since they were not subs and using the low-pass filter. I should have all of those connections correct as well. My front channels work just fine. Only when I fade to the rear to I not get any sound. Any help would be appreciated.
Original Poster
mx07423
Topics: 1
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 2500HD RWD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Rear Speakers Not Working

Postby Larry-Cleveland » Aug 02 2020, 5:18pm

I am having the same problem. I have found that there are 5 or so manufacturers in China who are copying each other designs. They seem to allow anyone to sell them. I get no support and poor communication. They know nothing about what they are selling. I bought mine off eBay with a popular model number. It was all fake....sorry for the rant.

I hooked up a known good speaker with test leads and found the head unit was putting out the signals to the rear speakers but they were not being sent to the proper wires on my truck harness. I will verify the speaker wires by feeding then a source from an old cell phone output to make sure I have them identified correctly.

I asked for the correct harness from the seller (fat chance) and will most likely have to make my own.

I hope this is some help.
Larry-Cleveland
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 2500 60L 4X4 Flatbed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 02 2020, 5:59pm

I found Dasaita Andriod 9.0 on Amazon
Could you share which one of these you have?https://www.amazon.com/Dasaita-Android-Vehicle-Navigation-Meomery/dp/B07QV6RQ4N
You lost me at this part of your post.
"The install instructions said to remove the RCA plugs for the speakers on the amp harness since they were not subs and using the low-pass filter"
I pulled up the instructions it says remove the adapter to use Hi Level inputs.
This means your AMP can run through the same connections RCA or Hi Level inputs from your radio. So how are you getting audio from your radio to your speakers?
If you have it wired with standard Hi level wires ( amplified from the head unit ) and have it wired correctly have you tried adjusting the gain on both channels of the AMP? You should have two knobs one for each channel the rear channel could be turned all the way down.

I will add you could use one of your old speakers run some wires from it to each channel of the radio one at a time with all the wires disconnected from the amp to check each channel to make sure the radio is sending audio to the amp on the rear channels. I would suspect this unknown to me radio over a well known amp brand.
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BobK » Aug 02 2020, 9:07pm

I'll try to help - but I'd like to know:
Did your problem start right after installing the new equipment, or were the rears working with the new equipment and then they stopped working all of a sudden?

Does you truck have 6 speakers? My 2008 1500 has tweeters by the windshield, woofers in the front doors and full range speakers in the rear doors. With a 6 speaker setup there must be a passive crossover on the fronts somewhere after the HU before the speakers.

I checked out the amp - it has a Fader Switch - it needs to be set to On if your sending separate front and rear signals from the HU to the amp.

For the amp Input Level settings, if your head unit has only speaker level outs you need to set the amp to Hi level, if the head unit has line-level outs (which will sound better but it's not as common) then set the amp to Low level.
Loving My Silverado!
BobK
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 12
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 02 2020, 9:20pm

His kicker amp can use either RCA or hi level inputs at the same connectors via an adapter like it has a built in line converter. it does not have separate RCA connections it is a newer style mini Amp.

From the manual
The PXA amplifiers have the capability to receive almost any level of input signal. If a Hi-Level signal is coming
from the speaker leads of the source unit, simply cut off the RCA jacks and connect it directly to the exposed
wires. Set the Input Level switch to Hi. Set the Auto Turn-On to DC. If speaker leads are not available from your
source unit, use an RCA stereo cable to connect directly to the RCA connectors of the PXA amplifi er. Set the
Input Level switch to Lo. Set the Auto Turn-On switch to +12V, and use the blue remote trigger wire to turn the
amplifi er on.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BobK » Aug 02 2020, 10:11pm

Yes, correct on that Kevin. I'm just pointing out the difference between the Hi and Low input level switch settings on the amp. The switch should be set based on the type of output from the head unit. Speaker out = Hi level, Line out = Low level.
Loving My Silverado!
BobK
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mx07423 [OP] » Aug 03 2020, 12:50pm

Thanks everyone for the input it has been helpful. I ran jumper wires to bypass the amp since I already had the harness wired using the amp. Once I did that I confirmed that the head unit was working properly. I did read some of your posts and focused on the dip switches on the amp. I did not have them set correctly. I had the fader off, and was using 12v, Once I changed both of those I had sound to the rear speakers. One crazy thing I ran into before I put this radio in was that the Metra wire harness was missing the solid white speaker wire from the positive front left speaker. I ended up getting a replacement from amazon but it put me behind a few days while I waited for the new harness. Over all I am really happy with the set up. It sounds great and installed very cleanly. I located the amp in the upper glove box and wired the microphone and gps antenna up top by the rear view mirror. The tweeters were able to slide behind the old grills and hold in place with a little hot glue. I also added 3 usb charge ports in the small cubby between the 12v sockets. I designed and printed those a while back, just remade some new ones in black. The empty cubby to the right of that I designed a 17mm ball mount for my cell phone holder and charger. I think I will modify the ball mount to include the 3 USB ports from the head unit. I will take some pictures once I get the truck out of the garage. It will be a few days since I am working on putting headers on, to replace the exhaust manifolds and Y-pipe. Maybe at some point i'll add a 10" sub to go under the back seat but for now I'm doing good. I have a back-up cam that I will be adding as well but I first need to replace the tailgate.

The equipment I used is the following:

Head Unit: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VBBZFBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amp Wire: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M75DUR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Speakers Composite Rear, Component Front: https://smile.amazon.com/Alpine-S-S65C-Component-Speakers-S-S65/dp/B07L4MJQCY/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=Alpine+S65C&qid=1596450784&s=electronics&sr=1-7
Amplifier: https://smile.amazon.com/Kicker-42PXA300-4-PXA-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00UG7AZQG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=8RMPLQA3IXJ2&dchild=1&keywords=kicker+pxa300.4&qid=1596450921&s=electronics&sprefix=kicker+pxa%2Celectronics%2C163&sr=1-1
Wire Harness Kit: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049MV2IY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My 3D printed designs:
USB Charger: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4209009

I don't have a link to the ball mount but I'll have pictures when everything is all buttoned up.
Original Poster
mx07423
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 03 2020, 12:56pm

Glad you got it figured out, love to see some pictures of the install and other work you do, You may consider writing your own build thread to help you keep track of all the work you have done and want to do. Kind of like an online scrap book. Could help potential buyers shell out extra cash when and if you go to sell it one day since they can every detail of how you cared for it.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby BobK » Aug 03 2020, 1:34pm

Problem solved - that's great! I've gotten tons of help here for my truck so it's nice to be able to contribute and give some help for once :D
It's very cool that you 3-D printed those parts for the open ports in the dash, what a cool idea. I just ordered a phone mount (vent type clip) and was thinking how could I use those areas for mounting it on some type if clip or something. But 3-D printing would be awesome! How do you go about getting it designed and printed?
Loving My Silverado!
BobK
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby mx07423 [OP] » Aug 03 2020, 2:22pm

I do most of my own design and printing when possible. I happen to have a 3D scanner where I work so I am able to use that to start most of my projects. From there I edit the STL files in tinkercad.com this one I removed the back of the cubby and added a 1" ball mount for a R** Mount cellphone holder. I changed this again and made the 1" to a 17mm for the new cell phone mount and charger. [url]https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082SVRWLT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1/url] This is the charger I am using now it has the 17mm ball. I found some old picks of the 1" ball mount and the charger.
20191102_090420.jpg

20200305_100027.jpg

20200305_103607.jpg

20200305_100040.jpg

The new parts are printed in black PETG and should hold up well overtime. the Ball mount I may make some small changes just to hold the USB ports from the radio and so the mount/charger sits at a different angle.
Original Poster
mx07423
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Mobile Electronics