jQuery not supported.

new from Colorado

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members area! This forum is for new member introductions and welcome messages only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

new from Colorado

Postby wild.irish [OP] » Oct 27 2011, 10:20pm

Hey everyone,

been looking at this forum for a while, and finally joined. i'm from Denver, drive two GMC Sierra 1500s - 1998 and 2000, both z71, one a long bed, another -short. both have been quite a soldier with about 220k+ each. I do pretty much all work on them myself, except swapping transmissions, but i have a plan for this winter to learn to do that too :)

good to be here!

cheers!
Original Poster
wild.irish
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: new from Colorado

Postby DRK4X4 » Oct 28 2011, 8:58pm

2 Sierras = Awesome!
Welcome aboard... 8-)
The 2nd Amendment, America's Original Homeland Security- NRA
DRK4X4
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 4x4 2500 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Gorecki » Oct 29 2011, 12:00am

Hey wild and welcome!

So is the plan to do the tranny swap or to actually do the rebuild? I wanted to do a rebuild with my last car but could never get the time/space to take the daily driver out of service. Really needed time to allow me to completely screw it up properly! :mrgreen:
Gorecki
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT Z71 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2003Z71 » Oct 29 2011, 2:50pm

Welcome aboard Wild! Glad to have someone else on from Denver! My brother has a 2000 GMC Z71 too. As a side note, I'll be pulling my trans. next month in my 2003 Silverado to fix a crankshaft rear oil seal leak. Fortunately I have a buddy with a 2 post lift and a BIG garage. I'll let you know how that goes.
Recon LED cab lights*AirLift Bags/Comp*Edelbrock IAS Shocks*ReadyLift Leveling Kit*aFe CAI*Iron Cross Bars*Smittybilt Bumper Guard*MagnaFlow Cat Back*BFG A/T KO2*
2003Z71
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 52
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L RegCab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby davidbarrett » Oct 29 2011, 7:09pm

Welcome to the site, glad you joined.
David Barrett
davidbarrett
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 2500 HD Ext cab
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby koolz71 » Oct 29 2011, 7:57pm

Welcome to the site..glad u have joined one of the best sites around :)
koolz71
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 95
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 98 gmc 4x4 » Oct 29 2011, 8:43pm

Welcome to the site, wow over 200K on both of your trucks, post some pics of your trucks, i also have a 98 with 103K
4404 4405 4403

"Diesel is just a passion that only those who have the bug will understand."
98 gmc 4x4
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Year: 1998
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 5.0 L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wild.irish [OP] » Oct 31 2011, 8:45pm

Thanks, guys!

2003Z71 wrote:I'll be pulling my trans. next month in my 2003 Silverado to fix a crankshaft rear oil seal leak. Fortunately I have a buddy with a 2 post lift and a BIG garage. I'll let you know how that goes.

I might have to fix the same leak sooner than replace a tranny, i think :) definitely would like to hear how that goes. good luck!

Gorecki wrote:So is the plan to do the tranny swap or to actually do the rebuild? I wanted to do a rebuild with my last car but could never get the time/space to take the daily driver out of service. Really needed time to allow me to completely screw it up properly! :mrgreen:

That's why i keep two trucks! actually, always kept two cars around, work on one - drive another ;)

The plan was to buy a junk yard spare, rebuild it, swap it and then rebuild the original with some kind of a different setup (like manual shift vs. auto). I recently however started to feel that my tranny is putting me under time pressure, as in - about to give up again. so i might buy a built one from TCI and then rebuild my current one. I'm just learning about auto transmissions, i never had an automatic before i started driving trucks. i wish i could buy a manual truck, but GM seem to have quit manufacturing them a while ago.. oh well, don't mind learning something new! :)
Original Poster
wild.irish
Year: 2000
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Gorecki » Oct 31 2011, 9:48pm

wild.irish wrote:i wish i could buy a manual truck, but GM seem to have quit manufacturing them a while ago.. oh well, don't mind learning something new! :)

There are conversions available I believe but with the amount of work it appears to take, almost not worth it IMO.

I wanted manual when I got my truck and quickly found there were none offered. :cry: The service manuals are pretty readily available for the gambit of tranny's made for GM's. Mine on the edge of dying was caused me to get out entirely when I did because I didn't have options. Sounds like you do! Go for it! :mrgreen:
Gorecki
Year: 2011
Extra Info: LT Z71 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Nov 01 2011, 1:06am

Welome aboard!
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 55
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Member Introductions