jQuery not supported.

New here, new to trucks

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members area! This forum is for new member introductions and welcome messages only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

New here, new to trucks

Postby Kelly.Veit [OP] » Sep 26 2011, 8:19am

Hello everybody!
My name is Kelly, I am not a female, and I am 18.
I am an Automotive Technology Management major, and have a moderate amount of mechanical knowledge and experience. I have never dealt with trucks before though. I've had a 1995 Firebird, that I swapped a 5.7 LT1 into, replacing the 3.4L V6. I had a 1991 H***a Civic hatchback, and also a 1987 N****n 300zx turbo. Kinda wanting to get back into something a tad bit newer, so I'm looking to get a 98ish K1500. Just want to see how I like trucks, and get something to last me through school until I can get another car to mess with. I poked around here a bit, but just wanted to ask for now if this is a good forum for the K1500, or if I should check out some other places as well?

Thank you very much,
Kelly
Original Poster
Kelly.Veit
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: New here, new to trucks

Postby davidbarrett » Sep 26 2011, 5:33pm

Welcome to the site, maybe you could post some pictures.
David Barrett
davidbarrett
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
4x4 Low Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 HD Ext cab
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby WingNut » Sep 26 2011, 5:45pm

Welcome aboard!

Best of luck on finding the truck you want. Your biggest problem will be the amount of available options for used GM trucks. Too many good choices out there! You should be able to land a used 98ish K1500 for a ggod price as owners of these vehicles are now rotating these trucks out for newer, heavier trucks.
Marine because.

WingNut
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby midnite » Sep 26 2011, 6:03pm

depending on were you are good used trucks can be hard to come by. A lot of them are used as trucks and some are not really used. I just sold my 99 1500 that was not loaded, manual windows ect for $7200. I will say it was not used as a truck and was as clean as the day it was built with only 70k miles on it. I put her in the paper at 5500 obo and settled on $7200 . it appears that clean,low mileage trucks are hard to come by.
midnite
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
Year: 2007
Extra Info: classic slt Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby thedanderzone » Sep 26 2011, 6:08pm

I am 17 and have a 94 k1500 and simply love it. It has 184000 on it and it definitely isnt as clean as it could be, but i absolutely love it and it is a blast to drive.. I would definitely recommend a k1500
thedanderzone
First Responder
First Responder
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 crew 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby Kelly.Veit [OP] » Sep 26 2011, 8:10pm

I will post some pictures of my past toys later on. I just finished classes for the day and I'm super tired. Finding K1500s around here isn't too much trouble at all. I would preferably like a black or white extended cab, regular bed. I would REALLY REALLY like a standard, but it seems like trucks are primarily automatics, so I might have to live with that for now. I don't really mind if the motor/transmission has a lot of miles. I will be overhauling all of that here at school anyway. Biggest thing is just reliability for the time being and a relatively undamaged body.

Is there a way to convert these motors to MPFI, from the DPFI, or throttle body injection? Can the stock fuel setup handle much power reliably?
Original Poster
Kelly.Veit
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby starspangled6.0 » Sep 26 2011, 8:28pm

Welcome, Kelly. I had a 97 K1500 as my last truck... it had 250,000 on it, and still drove like a champ! BTW, those 5.7L motors can do wonderful things when you add power to them :twisted:.
2007 Yukon
1997 Sierra 6.5 RCLB

*Sold*
97 Sierra 1500
03 Sierra 2500HD
04 Silverado Duramax
07 Silverado Duramax
03 Sierra LQ4 Denali
01 Silverado Duramax
09 Silverado SCRB 2500HD LY6
98 Suburban
2004 CCSB Duramax
starspangled6.0
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 368
Year: 2004
Extra Info: CCSB Duramax
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Kelly.Veit [OP] » Sep 27 2011, 12:05am

I enjoyed the power of the LT1, but from experience I know that throttle body injection is not super fun to work with, and I'm trying to figure out if there are ways to upgrade to a modern fuel injection with the stock motor.
Last edited by EKinMN on Sep 27 2011, 1:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the post above yours. Response to that is implied.
Original Poster
Kelly.Veit
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chevygirlkc » Sep 27 2011, 12:54am

Hi. My name is Kelly and I am a Female but NOT 18 :(. I see you are from KCMO. I'm over here in Prairie Village. I'd sell you my 2011 Black Extended Cab Silverado but I don't think that it is quite what you are looking for.
Are you needing the truck as your driver to and from school or are you looking for a class project? If it is a class project, are you wanting something with a good sound body but totally in need of mechanically repairs. Let me know. I might be able to check with some folks.
ChevyGirlKC....Kelly
chevygirlkc
Contributor
Contributor
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 36
Year: 2011
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3L Z71 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Kelly.Veit [OP] » Sep 27 2011, 1:11am

I'm not just in search of a class project. The truck will be DD, and I'll use a lot. I just love to work on cars, and a lot of my buddies have trucks. You know how useful it is to have a truck in this area, especially around winter.

Just an outline for what would be scheduled for the truck in terms of school

Fall '12: Head rebuild, basically addressing the whole valve train, more or less.
Spring '13: Fuel system overhaul
Fall '13: Suspension/steering overhaul, and braking overhaul
Spring '14: No school projects, as far as I know
Fall '14: Engine overhaul
Spring '15: Transmission

I will also work on the truck a lot aside from that too, but those are some of the more major points.
Original Poster
Kelly.Veit
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Member Introductions