jQuery not supported.

New member looking at an 05

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members area! This forum is for new member introductions and welcome messages only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

New member looking at an 05

Postby Andyt [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 1:31am

New here and am looking at a 2005 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 143.5" WB 4WD Z71.https://www.carportcarandtruck.com/inventory/view/12481485/ Seller is asking $10999. Test drove and it rides like a champ. Has all the bells and whistles. Good tires and minimal body scratches for it's age. Debating on whether or not to have my mechanic check it out or just pass on it. Any thought would be appreciated!
Original Poster
Andyt
Topics: 1
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: New member looking at an 05

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jan 14 2020, 1:53am

Welcome to the group.

Nice looking ride, but you can forget seeing 19 on the highway unless you're going down a steady descent for 40 miles with the wind to your back. 16-17 is possible , but I don't see 19 happening. Just thought you ought to know.
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 303
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Andyt [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 2:49am

Onlyina_Chevy wrote:Welcome to the group.

Nice looking ride, but you can forget seeing 19 on the highway unless you're going down a steady descent for 40 miles with the wind to your back. 16-17 is possible , but I don't see 19 happening. Just thought you ought to know.

Thanks for the reply and I don't expect to get 19 and I'd be good at 16-17 as I'm only getting about 14 in my current vehicle.
Original Poster
Andyt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RivGuy » Jan 14 2020, 3:09am

My 05 Z71 gets around 14-15 mpg. Although that shouldn't be your main concern.

The price is very high for that year truck, even with options, at 150K miles.

If your serious about it, I would definitely bring it to your mechanic and have it checked out. Must put it on a lift and check the under carriage for rust/rot and leaks, which could be expensive. Especially check the Transfer case for a leak in the housing, coming from the top or side of the housing. It would indicate pump rub through and would need an upgraded pump assy and a new housing. There are many other things to look for on a truck that's about 15 years old also. Hopefully your mechanic knows what to look for.

Personally I would feel better at a price of $7995.00 from a dealer (if my mech. gave me the thumbs up) with whatever warranty they may offer. Your State, Oregon, may have laws on what the dealer HAS to offer a used vehicle buyer for a warranty and what it covers.
RivGuy
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Andyt [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 3:14am

RivGuy wrote:My 05 Z71 gets around 14-15 mpg. Although that shouldn't be your main concern.

The price is very high for that year truck even with options at 150K miles.

If your serious about it, I would definitely bring it to your mechanic and have it checked out. Must put it on a lift and check the under carriage for rust/rot and leaks, which could be expensive. Especially check the Transfer case for a leak in the housing, coming from the top or side of the housing. It would indicate pump rub through and would need an upgraded pump assy and a new housing. There are many other things to look for on a truck that's about 15 years old also. Hopefully your mechanic knows what to look for.

Personally I would feel better at a price of $7995.00 from a dealer (if my mech. gave me the thumbs up) with whatever warranty they may offer. Your State, Oregon, may have laws on what the dealer HAS to offer a used vehicle buyer for a warranty and what it covers.

Unfortunately in my area a $7995 truck will be pretty beat up. Here, an 05 with under 100K miles goes for $14K +- and a 200K mile truck gets around $9500 if you're lucky. I have a great mechanic with a load of techs who are top notch and have great reviews. I think I'll go ahead and have him check it out. He'll check from head to toe and knows what to look for. Thanks for the reply!!
Original Poster
Andyt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RivGuy » Jan 14 2020, 3:28am

RivGuy wrote:My 05 Z71 gets around 14-15 mpg. Although that shouldn't be your main concern.

The price is very high for that year truck, even with options, at 150K miles.

I bought my 2005 last may with 118K miles and had to had have rot repair done to the frame and other bits. But I live in New England so that is to be expected on a 14 yr. old truck - even with low miles.

One other thing I found to be bad due to age was the rear spring bushings, all 4 needed replacing. It felt like play in the rear differential when taking off from a start, even with minimal throttle, but it was the rear end being able to move fore and aft due to the bushings. I also feel the front control arm bushings have play and may need to be replaced.

I was allowed to bring it to the shop I trust that does frame repair, expert welding as well as top notch service. They checked it all out and told me the price to make the rot go away, fabricate all the new pieces and repair an EVAP leak that the dealer had cleared the code on before my test ride. After the shop dropped the fuel tank to sandblast the frame and other parts prior to cutting and welding, they noticed the top of the fuel pump had small pin holes from rot that was causing the EVAP leak and required a new pump, etc.

Anyway, because I had the truck thoroughly looked at and got a "Not to Exceed" price for the welding and pump replacement, the dealer, without hesitation dropped the price to cover all the costs. I'm sure they knew about the issues with the frame and cross bar rot as it had been sprayed with a heavy coat of undercoating all over the underside of the truck. The rot was still obvious.

Sorry for going on about my purchase and if your truck has lived it's life in the pacific northwest there is much less chance of rust and rot.
But still have everything checked especially at that price.
Good Luck on your decision.
Last edited by RivGuy on Jan 14 2020, 3:30am, edited 1 time in total.
RivGuy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 14 2020, 3:28am

Good lord.

You need to travel a bit and get better pricing. That is outrageous.

In my area, eastern PA, and when I was out in western Ohio, a clean, gmt800 with under or around 100k miles was usually around $10k. Depending on year, options, etc it could be a little more or a little less.

100k miles seems to be the tipping point. Much over and the price starts dropping unless it is show room clean inside, outside and underneath.

The $14k price range is getting well into gmt900 territory now.

Again that's my experience across two states, three if you count Indiana since I was essentially a stones throw from the border. And all for 1500, gas trucks.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 133
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Andyt [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 3:35am

19trax95 wrote:Good lord.

You need to travel a bit and get better pricing. That is outrageous.

In my area, eastern PA, and when I was out in western Ohio, a clean, gmt800 with under or around 100k miles was usually around $10k. Depending on year, options, etc it could be a little more or a little less.

100k miles seems to be the tipping point. Much over and the price starts dropping unless it is show room clean inside, outside and underneath.

The $14k price range is getting well into gmt900 territory now.

Again that's my experience across two states, three if you count Indiana since I was essentially a stones throw from the border. And all for 1500, gas trucks.

I;ve looked from N Cali to Portland and points inbetween. It seems this about the going price. Missed one in Redding, same year and model and color with about $165K miles that went for $10K so....here I am. Lots of beat up trucks out there for $8-$9 or less if they're really in bad shape and have well over 200K miles. I do appreciate the replies!
Original Poster
Andyt
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RivGuy » Jan 14 2020, 3:39am

I wish I had the opportunity and the time to spend about a month in Arizona to look for a clean low mile truck and drive it back to MA.

It would have been the one way flight and hotel/motel cost to find an original AZ truck. But that wasn't in the cards.
All said and done I paid $6K for mine after all the work was done plus the cost of new tires.
RivGuy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Andyt [OP] » Jan 14 2020, 3:44am

RivGuy wrote:I wish I had the opportunity and the time to spend about a month in Arizona to look for a clean low mile truck and drive it back to MA.

It would have been the one way flight and hotel/motel cost to find an original AZ truck. But that wasn't in the cards.
All said and done I paid $6K for mine after all the work was done plus the cost of new tires.

Thanks for the reply!
Original Poster
Andyt
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Member Introductions