jQuery not supported.

Newbie from Tennessee

1995 GMC K2500HD owner
Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members area! This forum is for new member introductions and welcome messages only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

Newbie from Tennessee

Postby AnbroBR [OP] » Sep 09 2020, 6:29pm

Hello all,

I am new to this web site and I thought that I'd share my "daily driver" with you. I own a 1995 GMC K2500 pick-up truck, with the standard cab and an 8' long bed. I ordered the truck new from the factory in 1995 and have been driving it ever since then. The truck now has just under 289,000 miles on it.

When I ordered the truck, I was working as an electrician at an A.O. Smith Automotive Products Company facility, where they manufactured truck frames for Chevrolet and GMC. The facility had two fully automated assembly lines and a third that was partially automated. The automation was supplied by Allen-Bradley PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and by ABB (Asea Brown Boveri) for the control of the robotic welding.

At the time that I had placed the order for the truck, I was working 12-hour days, 7 days a week and I also worked every holiday that I could. They were having problems getting the production out and appreciated the employees who put in the over-time, in support of the production. I did not mind the long hours, because the work was interesting and also, at times, challenging. Working all those hours, I did not have time to spend any money, so I just saved as much as I could.

I ordered the truck, with the help of a very nice salesman, with whom I still stay in contact. I ordered the truck with a 350 C.I. gas engine, 4WD and the heavy-duty 3/4 ton suspension. The options that I ordered were power steering and brakes, air conditioning and cruise control. I did not order power door locks, seats or windows, because I did not want to have extra things that could possibly break down. I also ordered the AM-FM-cassette stereo unit but when I went to take delivery of the truck, I found myself wishing that I'd ordered the truck with a CD player, instead of the cassette. I asked the salesman about it and he told me that if I would pay them the difference in price between the two options, they would order the new unit and install it for me, which they did.

When I went to take delivery of the truck, I called the salesman up and asked him what type of a payment they wanted, whether a cashier's check, a bank money order or what. The salesman said that my PERSONAL CHECK would be just fine. I took my checkbook with me and wrote out a check for the balance of what I owed on the truck. I wrote out a check for $21,000 and some change; I had originally put $2,000 down on the truck. The salesman did not even ask me for any ID!

When I had ordered the truck, I was able to participate in the GMC Supplier Discount Program, as A.O. Smith was what GM considered to be a "tier one supplier" and was able to order the truck with an 18% discount off of the list price. I was going to order a Chevrolet truck but GM no longer was offering Chevrolets for purchase through their Supplier Discount Program; that was the reason I ordered the GMC model.

In just under 289,000 miles, I have had very little work done to the truck, other than routine maintenance work being done as needed. Shortly after taking delivery of the truck I would find that the truck would turn over but would not start. The dealer found a cracked magnet in the distributor and after replacing that, I have never had any other problems with the engine.

The truck is on its third set of tires, its third battery, its third alternator (bearings wore out in each unit). It is on its 2nd exhaust system (stock exhaust system) and the radiator has been replaced, the original having developed a leak. I have also had minor work done on the front end, such as tie rod ends, small bushings, etc. Neither the water pump nor the starter have ever been replaced. The front wheels have NEVER been aligned; the tires have always worn evenly and the truck "drives straight as an arrow" (on level roads). I recently discovered that I am in need of a new gas tank.

A few years ago, when I lived in northern Illinois (90 miles west of Chicago), I had a lot of "cosmetic" body work done on the truck. 20+ years of driving on northern Illinois roads, and the accompanying salt that they used, were beginning to take its toll on the truck. So I had the needed body work done on the truck. I also replaced the front and rear bumpers and a lot of the exterior trim. So now the exterior of the truck looks close to what it looked like when it was new. Now I am working on getting the interior of the truck to look as new as is possible.

So that's the story of this 69 year-old guy and his 25 year-old truck. I get a lot of compliments on the truck and I still enjoy driving it. I would not trade it "even up" for a new model - the new vehicles are just too complicated and there are too many things on them to break down. Not to mention the difference in the quality of workmanship that went into the assembly of my truck, as compared with a new one!

Brad Anbro
Bluff City, Tennessee
Attachments
TRUCK.JPG
Original Poster
AnbroBR
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Year: 1995
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: K2500 HD 5.7L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Newbie from Tennessee

Postby BigBlue2014 » Sep 09 2020, 7:07pm

Wow, awesome story and awesome truck. Welcome to the site, and we would love to see more pictures of your truck.
BigBlue2014
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIsugarChevy » Sep 09 2020, 7:22pm

Welcome to the group. Loved the story about you and the truck. Nice looking ride
MIsugarChevy
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: LT
Extra Info: Crew cab 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Sep 09 2020, 7:31pm

Welcome! Still a great, and great looking, truck!
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Bought new. 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Raptor, Boss Sport Duty plow, SL1 LED's. 20,890 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby CarMech97 » Sep 10 2020, 12:41am

Nice truck, AnbroBR!
Kind of makes me wish I held onto my '92 GMC Sierra Plain Jane 8 foot bed.
It was a rock solid truck.
The only minus was that it didn't have 4 wheel drive, and after a number of really crappy Canadian winters up here in the Great White North, I decided that it was time to let it go. Sold it to an 18 year old guy. He was happy to get it.
Now enjoying my big-block 2002 4X4. Never gets stuck!
Thanks for sharing the truck story :cool:

CarMech97
'I'd rather push a Chevy than drive a F**d..'
CarMech97
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2500 8.1L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby L-Train » Sep 10 2020, 9:48pm

welcome, nice truck!
L-Train
Year: 2012