jQuery not supported.

Will I regret this decision?

(may have) just bought my first Duramax
Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members area! This forum is for new member introductions and welcome messages only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

Re: Will I regret this decision?

Postby vilord [OP] » Apr 22 2021, 3:33pm

I had no idea that the rubberized coatings were so counterproductive! I was going to be spraying some of the underside of my '09 in prep for sale, I'll probably return it and go with basic black paint instead
Original Poster
vilord
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: 2500HD Duramax 4WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Apr 22 2021, 3:45pm

Yeah rubberized and bed liner type coatings are the absolute worst thing to use.

They look good initially, but they trap whatever rust is missed, and and debris and then the rust just takes off underneath them and you'd never know unless you peel it off and see what's festering below.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 140
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby vilord [OP] » Apr 22 2021, 4:13pm

That explains what happened to my '06. The previous owner used bed liner coating on the rockers and there's now just a thick layer of rust dust held together with bedliner, no metal left.
Original Poster
vilord
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vilord [OP] » May 01 2021, 2:15am

Just got home from the 300 mile trip back from the auction. The oil was down 3 quarts, batteries were dead, coolant was a tiny bit low, and Stabilitrack and ABS lights were on when I climbed in at the auction lot.
Not sure how I could tell if it is burning oil, but there isn't a lot of blow-by, and the coolant pipe was not rock hard & coolant looks clean, which from what I remember is an indicator that the head gaskets are still good.
While stopped at a rest stop on the thruway, about a quarter cup of oil ended up on the parking lot, so I'm hoping that's where all that oil went... from a couple of months of auction inspectors starting it up, letting it warm up and dump oil on the ground, and shut it back down again.

The DPF was already deleted, and it has a lift pump/filter installed under the bed. Haven't checked for PCV/EGR piping yet, nor have I checked if it still has the catalytic converter, it was dark when I got home. I also wonder whether it has been CP3 swapped, though I'll have to find some photos of converted vs non converted rigs to know what to look for.

Tomorrow I'll try to identify the leaks, and hook up my tech2win and see if I can read out the ABS error.

Last thing is there's a wheel bearing noise up front when turning right. Anyone done wheel bearings on these? I'll get it to my regular mechanic next week for a full once over and a wheel bearing (and possibly also to take care of those leaks).
Original Poster
vilord
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » May 01 2021, 2:25am

Quickest way you see if it's been cp3 swapped is to look at the fuel pressure regulator on the pump.

If the regulator sticks straight up out of the pump then its a cp4. If it's horizontal then it's a cp3.

I'd be leary of what tunes are on it, and what size tune. Unfortunately without either asking the previous owner, or contacting tuning companies with your vin, there isn't a way to see whats on there.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 140
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby CKNSLS » May 01 2021, 3:16am

There are very, very few gems from CoPart. 99.5% of the vehicles there-are because they are junk.
CKNSLS
Topics: 32
Year: 2018
Extra Info: 5.3 Crew Cab LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vilord [OP] » May 01 2021, 3:35am

Yup. Not expecting a gem. Just figuring out what it will need.
Original Poster
vilord
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby vilord [OP] » May 03 2021, 1:36pm

Just following up...
Oil leak: Loose oil filter
ABS/stabilitrack lights: A couple whacks with a weighted plastic hammer to the ABS pump body and the codes cleared. Was probably just stuck from being 8 years old and sitting for a few months.
Emissions: It appears it was straight piped... no converter, no SCR, no DPF.
Coolant: hose had some pressure this morning but was not rock hard, so I'm just going to watch the coolant level to see if it changes over the next few weeks.
Rust: All is just surface, will clean some up with a wire wheel/primer/etc and some stainless fender flares, and just fluid film for the frame/underbody until I can install a lift in the shared shop my friend and I are looking at.

Repairs needed to pass inspection, per my regular shop: Left wheel bearing and lower ball joints. Regular shop is not a diesel shop, nor do they do inspections on or work on 10,000 GVWR+ vehicles, so I'm doing the wheel bearing and ball joints myself while I look for another shop (most of their lifts are too small and they didn't want to try to do bearings on their alignment rack)

Overall, I'd say this was a good deal for an <130k dmax crew.
Original Poster
vilord
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » May 03 2021, 4:11pm

You should do a build thread. Take lots of pics.
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,450 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby vilord [OP] » May 05 2021, 8:02pm

One final note for this thread: Apparently the truck was donated, and that is how it ended up at the auction in this condition.
Original Poster
vilord
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Member Introductions

Common search terms

wheel thing lights regret decision lift installed while anyone done used right truck back work still front looks

It is currently May 13 2021, 12:20am

• Sponsor
Login  •  Register
Member Introductions Forum
Member IntroductionsHello and welcome to the best Silverado and Sierra truck specific site. Please introduce yourself to the community and make yourself at home. Tell us about yourself and post your introductions and welcome messages here.
To create a new topic in Member Introductions, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Sitewide News Sitemaps & Feeds