jQuery not supported.

Diablo inTune/Lew custom tune check in.

Forum rules
This is a forum for computer performance upgrades only. If what you are asking about is a physical accessory, it should not be in another forum category. Performance accessories such as intakes should be in "Engine" and when you want the growl, that should be in "Exhaust". Thank you for your understanding in keeping our forums clean and understandable.

Diablo inTune/Lew custom tune check in.

Postby WaterBoy1 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 4:59pm

I figured there were so many different threads started with those of us that have the inTune and/or a custom tune from Lew, I figured it might be nice to have a thread where we could post up our experiences and share info with each other all in one place! I also thought it would be a great place for Lew (06MonteSS) to be able to chime in once in a while with some news or answer questions we all might have.

I figure if we share info such as year/engine/trans and what tune you are using, as well as mods, that might be a great start and we'll see how it goes!

I started with the inTune on my 2009 Sierra with 5.3/4 speed. I had a MBRP dual cat back system, and K&N CAI on it. The truck had a 2" level and I was running 285/70/17 Duratracs. Before the tune, I was sitting at around 12.9 MPG. I installed the 87 octane tune/DOD off/Firm shifts. After that, I went to about 15.5 MPG. It was actually still climbing when I traded it in on my 2013. **NOTE** I am an old guy, and I drive like an old guy most of the time :lol:

I then bought a 2013 Silverado LT with 5.3/6 speed and put another MBRP dual cat-back system on, K&N CAI, 2" level and the 285/70/17 Duratracs on again. I started with a canned tune of 87 octane/DOD off/Firm shifts and ran that for a while. I then decided I would give one of Lew's custom tunes a try as I had heard great things about them!

After putting on the required 150 miles on my canned tune, I sent Lew in my data log. Within 24 hours, Lew had sent me my custom tune. I installed it and did the verification check with Lew. All was good. Time to put some miles on the custom tune! :D

First impressions...... Somehow the tune managed to incorporate around 100lbs of lead into my right foot! :shock: I could not keep out of it! The feel was great. The shifts were what I describe as smooth but decisive. The power was now so even across all rpm ranges. Lots of get-up-and-go when passing etc.

I have now put around 200 miles on the custom tune, and I am due to send Lew back another data log. The only thing so far that I would like to change, is the 1-2 shift. For some reason, it wants to shift way too quickly from 1-2. I am going to ask Lew if he can make 1st gear "hang" just a little. Again, I am no speed demon, I'm old! I just don't like the way that gear changes so quickly.

I will update with some new MPG readings as the tune settles in a little bit, but so far it is awesome, and I am already up to around 15 MPG.

Let's hear your experiences with the inTune/custom tune! :D
2013 Silverado - Gone

2014 ___ new rig

2013 Sierra 1500 - Wife's ride
Original Poster
WaterBoy1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT Z71 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Re: Diablo inTune/Lew custom tune check in.

Postby RetMarine » Sep 30 2013, 5:04pm

Great detailed write up and I'm sure Lew will be geting even more business through your information along with other members as they report in also..:)
2016 GMC Sierra, Stone Blue Metallic, 20" Rims
Diablo I2, Aeroskin II Deflector, LoPro Tonneau, WeatherTec Floor Liners, 5100 BilStein's,
Corsa Sport Exhaust, Line-X'd, Neoprene seat coves, K&N Blackhawk, Steelcraft EVO3 Steps
RetMarine
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 4x4 Double Cab 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby helios » Sep 30 2013, 5:52pm

I also have a custom tune via inTune and love the increased power and driveability but echo your sentiments on the early 1-2 shift. I don't think you were implying you blame the early shift on the tune but I felt like it was worse on my truck before the tune whereas now I just feel like I would say that's an area that could stand some improvement if I was being picky. Although, I'm not entirely sure it's something that could be addressed via tune?
DiabLew tuned | GMPP Sport dumped over the axle | Airaid MIT | TGC 2" | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 285/70/17
helios
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 4
Extra Info: 1500 CCSB Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WaterBoy1 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 6:03pm

^Yes you're correct, I'm definitely not blaming the tune for the early shift. I hope that's not how it came across. :o

Will definitely check in with Lew though to see if it's something he can help out with.

If you can, maybe post your veh/mods and mpg!

Cheers
2013 Silverado - Gone

2014 ___ new rig

Original Poster
WaterBoy1
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby helios » Sep 30 2013, 6:15pm

2013 Sierra 5.3/6 speed
DiabLew tune based on 87 octane tune - DOD deleted
GMPP/Borla Sport muffler
Airaid MIT

Currently averaging 17.0 mpg
DiabLew tuned | GMPP Sport dumped over the axle | Airaid MIT | TGC 2" | Cooper Discoverer A/T3 285/70/17
helios
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WaterBoy1 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 8:27pm

^ Sounds very similar to my situation. Maybe if I can get rid of some of that lead in my right foot I can get those extra couple of MPG's.

Also, my tune is only JUST broken in and might get a little tweaking
2013 Silverado - Gone

2014 ___ new rig

Original Poster
WaterBoy1
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby helios » Sep 30 2013, 8:33pm

Those Duratracs look heavy so if you can get back close to that kinda mpg by driving easier that would be impressive!
helios
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS » Sep 30 2013, 8:42pm

yeah, I can increase the shift point mph for the 1-2 shift, so it stays in 1st a little longer... if anyone wants that done, just remind me when you send me your next data log ;)
06MonteSS
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 14 Camaro 2SS-RS LS3
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users

Postby WaterBoy1 [OP] » Sep 30 2013, 9:15pm

@helios - yes the Duratracs are quite heavy. I'll just have to drive extra grandpa-like to see if I can get there! :grin:

@Lew - thanks for responding! I hope this thread will make it easier for you to chime in (although you do an awesome job already) I'll get that log to you soon. Sounds like you can help helios too! :grin:
2013 Silverado - Gone

2014 ___ new rig

Original Poster
WaterBoy1
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby WaterBoy1 [OP] » Oct 01 2013, 3:41am

Took a little highway drive this evening, about 150km (100 mi ) or so.

Feels a lot more "broken in" now. Up to about 16mpg now too! :grin:
2013 Silverado - Gone

2014 ___ new rig

Original Poster
WaterBoy1
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users
Next

Return to Performance Tuning