jQuery not supported.

Diablosport i3 for 2017 5.3L/6speed

Tuning 2017s and up?
Forum rules
This is a forum for computer performance upgrades only. If what you are asking about is a physical accessory, it should not be in another forum category. Performance accessories such as intakes should be in "Engine" and when you want the growl, that should be in "Exhaust". Thank you for your understanding in keeping our forums clean and understandable.

Diablosport i3 for 2017 5.3L/6speed

Postby Fixxer [OP] » Feb 08 2018, 5:12pm

Aloha all,

I'm leaning towards purchasing a Diablosport i3 to use on my 2017 Silverado (5.3L/6 speed). I'm not too interested in custom tuning, as I just want to turn off AFM, raise idle speed, and adjust transmission parameters for better shift quality. My truck is stock, and I plan on keeping it that way.

I briefly thought about buying a Range module, but most say to skip this altogether and purchase a tuner. However, before I pull the trigger on the tuner, I have some concerns that I was hoping the forum could help me with.

I'm using a Mac. How well does the Ignition updater/i3 work with this platform?

I want to buy an i3 and use the canned tunes that come with it. Should I buy directly from Diablosport? Will Diablosport still provide tech support if I purchase the tuner from another vendor?

Are the 2017s fully supported now? When I was shopping around last year, I noticed that some users were having issues tuning their 2017s because of changes from the 2016 model year. Have these changes been addressed already?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I've been reading up a lot on using tuners, and I have noticed that some people have an easy time tuning, while others go through hell. I haven't heard all that much about tuning the 2017s and up, so I'm hoping the forum could shed some light on this for me. I really want to address the issues I touched on earlier, but I don't want to make a mistake trying to tune my truck.

Mahalo,

Steve
Original Poster
Fixxer
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Diablosport i3 for 2017 5.3L/6speed

Postby ferraiolo1 » Feb 08 2018, 5:15pm

yes the canned tunes are fine, yes they fixed the issues for the 2017, yes they will support it ONLY if its bought from an authorized vendor. There is a list of non authorized vendors on their website.

I dont know about the mac.
Things, and stuff, with all the mods.
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 100
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS » Feb 08 2018, 9:49pm

It works with a MAC.. it also has wifi, so you can just do updates via wifi directly from the tool itself and don't have to use the Ignition Updater if you don't want to..

no issues tuning 2017's..

and yes, as long as you purchase it from an authorized dealer, diablosport will still honor the warranty for it..

Make sure you purchase the inTune i3 8245 Platinum/Pro, so that when you want a custom tune later on, you will have the correct version i3 already.

I sell them.. you can purchase just the i3 itself, and can always purchase the custom tuning separately later on when you're ready for it..

www.diablewtune.com

Thanks!
-Lew
06MonteSS
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 14 Camaro 2SS-RS LS3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Feb 09 2018, 1:42am

If I were you I’d purchase from the guy above^^^^*. Authorized dealer, custom tuner and great service.
Welcher774
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Fixxer [OP] » Feb 09 2018, 3:34am

Thanks for all the replies! I didn't know about the Wifi feature, so that's an added bonus.

Sounds like all the issues that I've heard about early on were addressed by Diablosport.

Lew, I've heard only good things about you here on the forum. I'll be buying from you when the time comes. (Which will be soon)

I really want to turn off the AFM, and maybe get the transmission to shift a little better. Otherwise, I like the truck.

Thanks again, all!

Steve
Original Poster
Fixxer
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Durdan1 » Feb 09 2018, 1:51pm

I have a 2018 Silverado. Can it be tuned already?
Durdan1
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2018
Variant: Texas Edition
Extra Info: Ltz 5.3 6 speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 05Canuck » Feb 09 2018, 2:07pm

Fixxer wrote:Thanks for all the replies! I didn't know about the Wifi feature, so that's an added bonus.

Sounds like all the issues that I've heard about early on were addressed by Diablosport.

Lew, I've heard only good things about you here on the forum. I'll be buying from you when the time comes. (Which will be soon)

I really want to turn off the AFM, and maybe get the transmission to shift a little better. Otherwise, I like the truck.

Thanks again, all!

Steve

Make sure you have the 6spd...I know...its your truck you should know what tranny you have. I just want to point out that any trucks with an 8 speed the TCM is locked down and is not able to be tuned, so far.
I'm sure Lew will advise us when someone cracks it!
I would recommend the Firm Shift for your 6spd TCM..it really wakes the truck up!!
1965 SS Impala 327 4spd
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 55
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Extra Info: I jumped the fence
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS » Feb 09 2018, 2:27pm

Durdan1 wrote:I have a 2018 Silverado. Can it be tuned already?

yes sir...
06MonteSS
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS » Feb 09 2018, 2:30pm

05Canuck wrote:
Fixxer wrote:Thanks for all the replies! I didn't know about the Wifi feature, so that's an added bonus.

Thanks again, all!

Steve

Make sure you have the 6spd...I know...its your truck you should know what tranny you have. I just want to point out that any trucks with an 8 speed the TCM is locked down and is not able to be tuned, so far.
I'm sure Lew will advise us when someone cracks it!
I would recommend the Firm Shift for your 6spd TCM..it really wakes the truck up!!

yeah, he stated in his initial post that he has the 6 speed tranny.. so he's fine..

the 2017/2018 8-speed will not be tunable... don't hold your breath ;)

the only way the 8 speed tranny can be tuned, is with hptuners software - BUT - you would have to take the TCM module out of your truck's tranny (valvebody), ship it to them (HPTuners), they have to physically take it apart and modify some things internally in it, then they need to put it back together and they send it back to you. Then you would need to reinstall the TCM module into the vehicle, then you could tune it with their hptuners software.

this is not feasible with a handheld, without physically modifying the TCM module.. so it can not be done with diablo's or any handheld tools.
06MonteSS
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Feb 09 2018, 2:43pm

Lew.. whats up with this little warning on the i3 page "*17-UP GM Gas Trucks: Using the tire size adjustment option on your truck will disable the cruise control feature at highway speeds"

https://www.diablosport.com/shop/intune ... num-1.html

will the i2 have potentially the same issues on a 2017 if changing tire size?
Things, and stuff, with all the mods.
ferraiolo1
Topics: 100
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Next

Return to Performance Tuning