jQuery not supported.

Question on Lew tune for 87

Can Lew do a tune for 87 only?
Forum rules
This is a forum for computer performance upgrades only. If what you are asking about is a physical accessory, it should not be in another forum category. Performance accessories such as intakes should be in "Engine" and when you want the growl, that should be in "Exhaust". Thank you for your understanding in keeping our forums clean and understandable.

Re: Question on Lew tune for 87

Postby ProfBrown » May 19 2018, 10:50pm

I don’t doubt some brands are better than others, not one but. But I do think a large part of it is dependent on the local gas station, how old their tank are, and what state you’re in. All of Cali gas is crap and overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProfBrown
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 5.3
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby tsduke » May 19 2018, 11:41pm

Good to know. I didn’t know your 87-89 tune was stock timing. All I know was the first time I heard the ping was after installing the custom tune but very well could have been a coincidence.

I’ve been running 89 BP for a couple months since we have one in route to weekend river place and no issues. I just don’t have it locally.

I may try the other place with 87 again and do a log just to see what’s really there for knock. It may only have been one tank that was an issue

Also, just so I’m clear, I’m not complaining about my tune. I love it! Just learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsduke
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Crew 5.3l
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 1999 » Jul 08 2018, 1:26pm

Lew, besides better shifting, how can the 87 octane tune do anything if you use the stock timing tables? Normally, the main thing to get better performance is to use more aggressive timing...? Just curious as i will be getting a tune from you soon and kinda figured the main performance gain would have been from more timing..
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 33
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: CCSB 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 06MonteSS » Jul 09 2018, 4:39pm

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpm's, better tranny performance/shifting, improved towing performance, etc...

I change a lot of things... a small sample of just SOME of the things are: disable the DOD/AFM, disable engine torque management, adjust part-throttle fueling, WOT fueling, knock retard settings, throttle settings, tranny torque, tranny shifting settings (pressure/firmness, shift points, quickness), etc... Timing is only changed/increased for a 91/93 octane tune... 87/89 octane tune uses stock timing settings.

as far as gains go... absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, how much highway vs city driving, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 2 mpg increase...

with the custom tune, I CAN tell you that you will definitely have a very noticeable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes...

In the past, I have gained people anywhere from 12-39 hp, and 10-35 lb. ft. torque...and 0 to 3 mpg... again, obviously mods, fuel used, driving style/habits, etc all played a role in who gained what...

Tough to say due to all of the variables in play - which is why there is no guarantee of any specific amount of hp/tq or mileage gains.
06MonteSS
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Variant: SS
Extra Info: 14 Camaro 2SS-RS LS3
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users

Postby Darksteel165 [OP] » Jul 10 2018, 1:17am

1999 wrote:Lew, besides better shifting, how can the 87 octane tune do anything if you use the stock timing tables? Normally, the main thing to get better performance is to use more aggressive timing...? Just curious as i will be getting a tune from you soon and kinda figured the main performance gain would have been from more timing..

It seems my truck shifts better and has better throttle response.
Not much else.
No fuel gain or anything else.
This is on the 87 tune.

Still worth the $150 I would say but its not anything ground shattering if you are already using a good handheld tuner.
Original Poster
Darksteel165
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2018
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 7Z1
Group Membership:
Registered users