jQuery not supported.

questions from an old man.

4.8 performance mods.
Forum rules
This is a forum for computer performance upgrades only. If what you are asking about is a physical accessory, it should not be in another forum category. Performance accessories such as intakes should be in "Engine" and when you want the growl, that should be in "Exhaust". Thank you for your understanding in keeping our forums clean and understandable.

questions from an old man.

Postby joecool [OP] » Jul 30 2020, 8:27pm

I am an old guy who used to drag race a lot . Back then we had those carbaurator thingys. I want to pep up my 2002 sierra Regular cab short box .It has the factory 4.8 and a 342 posi rear. I have a lowering kit on it and 28 inch tall tires. I am just looking for advice on where to start. Air cleaner,throttle body, ? .the exhaust is factory so its probably needs replacement.
Now on another note ,there seems to be a few 6.0 for sale would that be a an easier move.? What all would be needed from the 6.0 truck as far as computor ect. Thanks for the help fellas.
Original Poster
joecool
Topics: 1
Year: 2002
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: questions from an old man.

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jul 30 2020, 8:51pm

It's a 4.8. IF it were my truck and I had stupid money to spend, I would buy a different truck with a bigger engine, but that's just me. HOWEVER....I have heard that the heads on the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 are ready to run, so as long as you're not planning on running for pinks, you could possibly do a couple of engine things that you drag race fellers are good at and "pep" up your smaller v-8.

That being said, CAI, maybe some shorties and a tuner will get you some pep.
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 303
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jul 30 2020, 8:58pm

lets talk goals and budget first.

What power would you like to make and how much are you willing to spend?
131,500 as of 7/21/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jul 30 2020, 9:01pm

Onlyina_Chevy wrote:That being said, CAI, maybe some shorties and a tuner will get you some pep.

And from another old man drag racer, I agree....maybe some shorties, and a tune, but a CAI won't do much, IMO.......however, if you were in Texas, I came across this today.....

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 4151834333

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby joecool [OP] » Jul 30 2020, 9:29pm

another truck is probably out . I love this little shortbox /low rider and have no reason to want another. I would like it to break into the 13's 1/4 mile. I may go on the Rocky Mountain drag week next year and the slowest bracket they have is 14.0 .I assume its a mid 15's truck now. I realize 1.5 seconds is a lot. I will enjoy ,in my old age, changing some things and see what works. Money is not a big issue but I am not going to throw stupid dollars at it just because. It is just something to keep me busy for awhile. I expect to get a tune, not sure at what stage to do that.I just am interested in your experience and what I can expect for individual component replacements.
Thanks
Original Poster
joecool
Topics: 1
Year: 2002
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jul 30 2020, 10:29pm

Well for starters these would be what I would be looking at.

Cam
3000-3200 stall
LONG TUBE headers
E-fans
LS6 intake (I think this is right)
gears 3.93 or 4.10s
and get a good tune done for 93

What would be nice is to do a built 6.0l instead though.

this may help with those questions: https://www.performancetrucks.net/forum ... -a-314428/
131,500 as of 7/21/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby NARDA1 » Jul 31 2020, 12:37am

Add a Turbo or Supercharger.
2011 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Edition CCSB 4X4
Lt/Dk Cashmere Leather 17,100 Miles
NARDA1
First Responder
First Responder
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2011
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: 5.3 White Diamond
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Jul 31 2020, 1:55am

Buy a Mustang or Camaro and pull it to the dragstrip with your truck.

Vision Manic wheels * BFG KO2 265/70/17E * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature
35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights * E2 catch can * GMC floor liners
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 28
Year: 2015
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby shakenfake » Jul 31 2020, 3:56am

Onlyina_Chevy wrote:That being said, CAI, maybe some shorties and a tuner will get you some pep.

Wouldn't do shorties or a CAI ever but a tune at the end of your build or whenever a tune is really needed. 13s shouldn't be too hard in a smaller truck like yours. I would start with swapping in a 6.0, do not buy an LQ9 if you are just going to bore the engine out you are wasting your money. If not then the LQ9 is fine unless you planned on swapping pistons.
El Bandito
Airaid MIT Flowmaster Exhaust 2” Rear drop 2018 Rear Bumper 2003 Center Console Tinted
shakenfake
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jul 31 2020, 4:39am

To each their own. I did a tune, SHORTIES, CAI and 160° thermostat on my '00 Z71 and could spin all three in 4HI. But it was no drag truck. Also, I was starting with the 5.3.
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 303
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
Next

Return to Performance Tuning