jQuery not supported.

06 sierra vibration driving me insane

06 sierra vibration driving me insane

Postby redbeardindustries [OP] » Mar 02 2021, 6:48pm

2006 sierra 1500 4wd 4.8l auto trans 170k miles.

I've got a bad vibration coming in around 55. Ive done new tires, replaced both cv shafts, u joints in the front shaft, entire new rear driveshaft, inner and outer tie rods, drag link, and pitman arm. The vibration is worse in 2wd, if I put it in 4wd auto or 4 high the vibration is still there but dampened. I feel it mainly in the steering wheel but it's getting bad enough now to feel it in the floor.

I had blown up a rear driveshaft about a year ago, ujoints siezed and just demolished it. So I got a used driveshaft, I thought the vibration could have been in there so I got a whole new driveshaft today. Vibration is still just as terrible. The vibration had been getting progressively worse since the first driveshaft blew out.

I'm just at a loss and any help is appreciated.
Original Poster
redbeardindustries
Topics: 1
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 06 sierra vibration driving me insane

Postby Chevy-SSChevy-SS is online! » Mar 03 2021, 1:12am

Well, as I told someone else here today, if you've got a 'bad' vibration, that's actually a 'good' thing because it usually makes it easier to diagnose. My first guess would lean towards wheels and tires. It's incredibly easy to have a bent wheel and not see it. Do you have some way to mount a dial indicator onto each wheel edge as you rotate by hand? That would allow you to check for runout. There should be very little runout. If you have excessive runout in the rear, it could be a bent axle, or the wheel.

Additionally, while you check each wheel (rotating by hand)..... you should wiggle the wheels firmly horizontally and vertically to check for play, there should be none. You may have bad front hub, or maybe bad axle bearings in rear.

I've done thousands of brake jobs over the years and I've seen instances where guys don't clean off the old hubs, and they just slap new rotors on, and there is rust on the old hub which causes wheel/tire runout (because the rotor is now not spinning true to the hub, and the wheel/tire mounts flush to the rotor). This can cause a shake too.

Or you could just have a bad tire.

Anyway, first step IMHO is to jack up and rotate each wheel/tire to check for things listed above.

And did the vibration begin directly after that driveshaft exploded? If so, there may be other things, which I am not going to get into until you answer the question about when it started vibrating.
Chevy-SSChevy-SS is online!
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SSChevy-SS is online! » Mar 03 2021, 1:24am

Here's one more thing to try - take your dial indicator and measure the runout at each end of the D/S while someone else rotates the wheel by hand, just to make sure you haven't bent something related to the diff or the transfer case.
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Mar 03 2021, 2:11am

redbeardindustries wrote: I had blown up a rear driveshaft about a year ago, ujoints siezed and just demolished it.

This might be a clue. Perhaps it damaged something else when it blew? Maybe a trans mount? Just a thought.
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,375 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby redbeardindustries [OP] » Mar 03 2021, 3:45am

Chevy-SS wrote:Here's one more thing to try - take your dial indicator and measure the runout at each end of the D/S while someone else rotates the wheel by hand, just to make sure you haven't bent something related to the diff or the transfer case.

This is an excellent idea, the vibrations came about after I blew the first driveshaft up and while they started as a minor annoyance have gotten worse with time. Ive rotated tires/wheels to different locations on the truck and the vibes don't chase the wheels around.

Upper and lower ball joints are solid, no wiggle room there. Same with the wheel bearings. Tie rods are all new, tight and freshly aligned.

Timeline
New driver side cv shaft (boot failed)
Driveshaft blew after 2ish hours at 90mph.
eBay shaft installed slight vibes
New inner outer tie rods,drag link, tires, alignment still slight vibes
New cv shaft on passenger side because throw parts at the problem. Still slight vibes.
New front shaft u joints, vibes continue.
New wheel bearing drivers side, just hail mary parts at it. Vibes cont and are getting more pronounced with continued driving.
Brand spanking new balanced driveshaft this morning after verification that ebay shaft was a bit out of balance. Vibes continue and are very bad. may have shed a tear of frustration.
Put rebuilt transfercase in online cart, have not hit confirm yet.

The thing that stands out to me the most is the vibrations being heavily dampened by being in 4hi or 4wd auto.

I truly appreciate you guys talking through this with me.
Original Poster
redbeardindustries
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby redbeardindustries [OP] » Mar 03 2021, 6:05pm

After putting a dial indicator on the shaft ive got .015" runout at the transfer case side of the shaft and I can move the shaft .075 by pulling down then pushing up on it. The trans mount feels tight and the trans adapter is in good shape.

I also put the back of truck up on Jack stands and ran it up to 55mph and the vibrations are strong in the steering wheel.

Im pretty well convinced that the transfercase is injured and by putting it in 4wd the front driveshaft acted as a dampener for the driveline vibration.
Original Poster
redbeardindustries
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SSChevy-SS is online! » Mar 03 2021, 7:14pm

All right, I'm gonna do you a big favor. I have a 4-post lift, I will put my truck up and measure D/S runout at both ends and post results shortly. I will also do the up/down test at both ends. Stay tuned................
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SSChevy-SS is online! » Mar 03 2021, 7:45pm

OK, so I measured mine. My truck is smooth as silk on the highway.

These measurements pertain to the main D/S only, the one that feeds rear wheels.
Rear runout ~ .025"
Front runout ~ .022"
No discernible up/down FREEPLAY movement at either end.

I did notice a few balance weights on the D/S. But as noted, the vehicle is smooth at all speeds.

Hope this helps. Your .015" runout is actually less than mine. However, that up/down movement of yours, is that something actually loose? Does it feel loose, or are you pushing real hard? If you're pushing real hard, you'll move it, even if it's brand new.
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby gjmoran » Mar 03 2021, 9:33pm

i was going to ask if you checked the center support bearing on the drive shaft but im not sure if the 4x4 has this.
gjmoran
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 39
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS 5.3 Ext Cab 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby redbeardindustries [OP] » Mar 03 2021, 10:30pm

Chevy-SS wrote:
Hope this helps. Your .015" runout is actually less than mine. However, that up/down movement of yours, is that something actually loose? Does it feel loose, or are you pushing real hard? If you're pushing real hard, you'll move it, even if it's brand new.

I'm not pushing real hard on it, I actually crawled up under my 2wd sierra and pushed on the shaft up by the tailshaft of the trans with the same force and got no movement. I can also hear a distinct click in the transfercase when I'm pushing on the shaft.

With the runout looking good but the movement being what it is im thinking i may have junked the output shaft bushing when the first shaft failed and ive been slowly wearing it out more and more over the last couple thousand miles.

I really appreciate you putting your truck on the lift and checking that for me
Original Poster
redbeardindustries
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Suspension