jQuery not supported.

Another Halo Lift kit review

Another Halo Lift kit review

Postby Bradley21sanders [OP] » Aug 20 2017, 4:56pm

So I finally got a free weekend to install the boss coilover kit from Halo Lifts. There's a few critiques I have but overall I recommend the kit to anyone looking for a good alternative to stock replacements.

Let's talk about the install. Rear was no problem at all. Both shocks came out easy for 8 year old hardware and 90k miles. Old Ubolts and all also came off super easy. Total time on the rear was between an hour and two hours. That was just taking my time and showing my buddy that came over how to do stuff and teaching other things along the way. The front actually came out really easy too, I had a 2" RC level kit the went between the strut and LCA. So I took al that out with only unbolting the 3 bolts on top of the shock tower and 2 going through the RC level.
The install was a little bit of an issue. Considering the coilovers from halo lifts come set at 2" and each spacer provides an additional .5" of lift for a total of 3" if using both spacers on both sides. I really wanted to go up to the 3" regardless what everyone on here said about possibly needing new UCAs because of the bump stops. (Let's go ahead and throw out there that I have a 2wd so CV angles do not matter.) with the truck jacked up and UCAs resting on the bump stops the coilovers fit right in didn't have to pry on anything at all. Now time for both spacers. So I took a large pry bar and placed in between the lower part of the strut and the LCA, before prying I dropped a screwdriver from the top down in both holes to keep it semi lined up while prying. Let me tell you of the hell it was trying to get both in there. Two spacers on each side with stock UCAs are NOT I REPEAT NOT GOING in there. So I settled for 1 spacer for a total of 2.5" of front lift. That wasn't too bad to get in there with an extra set of hands. Now for the hardware, the bolts supplied that go through the LCAs have a large shoulder on it that isn't threaded. If you aren't using any spacers these will not work. They work for only 1-2 spacers. Needs to have about .5"-.75" less shoulder for no spacers I believe or just get a fully threaded bolt.

Once I put in one spacer I noticed that there was absolutely no clearance between the UCAs and the bump stops, but I figured once I set the truck back down it would raise off them and the coil overs would settle. Well I was wrong about them raising off the bump stops. Maybe they will settle a bit. They seem to be resting on them though, or only a mm or two off of them. Measurements before with the level were both fronts were sitting at 40.5" and after the coils with one spacer I'm sitting at 41.5. This doesn't seem right so I'm going to have to get under there and do some checking. (Doing the review as I go) so nothing seems out of place and everything is good and snug. I will call Alex Monday or see what y'all suggest looking at.

Complete measurements
..........Before/After
DF.........40.5/42
PF.........40.5/42
DR........40.5/40.75
PR..........40/41.5
Not sure why the driver rear is 3/4 in lower that passenger rear either. But it was lower stock too, maybe the leaf springs need re arching.

Had to do a test drive anyway so onto the test drive!

I've ridden in several imports with coilovers and it was pretty smooth so I had really high expectations with this kit on my truck. Now I didn't expect to run over logs and not feel them. You will still feel things but the shock from a pothole is far less than it use to be. There is also more confidence because of the planted feeling around curves. Not that I race my truck but the body roll is far less than oem. (the next statement is stupid with everything mentioned before I know) took a curve a little faster than I should to "test" and the tires chirped a bit and the truck was pushing a bit around the curve very impressed with a big truck handling as well as it did. Coming from formula style racing that I used to do in college it exceeded my expectations for a truck.

Overall recommend the kit completely but I strongly urge you to get some new UCAs too. Rough country has some for like $250 that I think I will be getting very soon.

I will be posting pics later today to showcase in my build thread and I will link it here once I do so.
143,000 as of 2/4/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Original Poster
Bradley21sanders
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 61
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: Another Halo Lift kit review

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 23 2017, 1:21pm

Where are the pics??

And we told ya about the 3in worth of lift and stock UCAs in the other thread. No down travel, unless you cut off your bump stops, then your ball joint takes the hit.
Last edited by ferraiolo1 on Aug 23 2017, 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
ferraiolo1
Topics: 101
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby eurovic » Aug 23 2017, 1:26pm

Not bad talking the lift. But with all these write-ups on the same thing, are yall getting a rebate from the company as like product testers???
"The important stuff is what you learn after you know it all"
eurovic
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2020
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: 6.2 BIG Block
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 23 2017, 1:29pm

Well they all got 50% off so that's basically like a $600 rebate lol.
ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby n8dh » Aug 23 2017, 1:30pm

Eurovic, there was a deal going on from Halo that a bunch of members did, and that included a review.

EDIT: Mike beat me to it.
2010 Silverado LT|5.3|4x4|RC 2"|Zone AAL|17x9 -12 Ultra Baron|285/70/17 Toyo OC A/T II|Airaid MIT|JT3030XL|32 Dump Club|Window Tint|Tow Mirrors|Tinted Tails
n8dh's 2010 Silverado

n8dh
Topics: 38
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: LT 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 05Canuck » Aug 23 2017, 1:33pm

Where are the pics?
Wait someone said that already.
1965 SS Impala 327 4spd
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 55
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: I jumped the fence
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby eurovic » Aug 23 2017, 1:38pm

Oh, so I should just brace myself! Its guerilla marketing.
"The important stuff is what you learn after you know it all"
eurovic
Topics: 32
Year: 2020
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: 6.2 BIG Block
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby qpholley13 » Aug 23 2017, 1:54pm

Bradley21sanders wrote:
I will be posting pics later today to showcase in my build thread and I will link it here once I do so.

Ahhmmmm :roll: starting to believe this is all a lie!
qpholley13
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 10
Year: 2013
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Aug 23 2017, 1:56pm

eurovic: It's just a company trying to get a foot in the door on a new market.

Bradly:
This review/install really needs some pictures. I can't understand the clearance issues you are having without seeing what you are talking about. These have been installed on others and I have not heard this before.

Easiest way to get in that extra spacer or spacers is to brake the upper control arm ball joint connection...that gives you plenty of room to install the longer setup. Then you can use a floor jack to push it back up into place to bolt back together. It's pretty quick and easy and saves struggling with pry bars and possibly damaging the finish on the new shock.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain192,029 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Aug 23 2017, 2:05pm

I don't think any one has tried to install all 3in of spacers before on here. Other than vince but he already had better UCAS. And that works up to a point, but at 3-3.5in its pretty much impossible to fit that much lift and re attach the ball join without High travel UCAs or cutting out your bump stops.. Which Halo recommends.
ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Next

Return to Suspension