jQuery not supported.

Bad Sounds

left front suspension?

Bad Sounds

Postby steveyo [OP] » Aug 24 2010, 9:31pm

I have this almost metal to metal clanking sounds coming from the left front tire area. It is very odd, i have some buddies who are mechanics who have herd it and dont know what it is, but are to lazy to actually look for me. Guy i work with says it could be sway bar bushings? Also when its cold out i have a different noise from the same area, more like a low thump, but im thinking it may be the same prob? Just wondering if anyone has answers or has had similar problems resolved.

OH an anyone ever changed their own knock sensors? how hard are they?

Thanks
[email protected]
Original Poster
steveyo
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4.8 V8 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Bad Sounds

Postby lzn197 » Aug 31 2010, 11:12pm

Does the noise go away when the brakes are applied? If so maybe you have a loose caliper or worn bushings or even a loose brake pad.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby bigalsgmc » Sep 01 2010, 2:55am

I have the same truck as you do, only a few years newer. I recently had the same problem with a loud metal on metal noise coming from the front wheel. Chances are you have wheel bearings going out. My ABS light came on when it got real bad and the brakes were acting different. You have a sealed wheel bearing hub assembly. If you are not mechanically inclined, do some research on ebay motors, or you can check with Autozone for an exact replacement. The reason why I tell you this is because when you are broke down somewhere having to rely on a mechanic shop or dealership service center, the likelyhood of a $900.00 bill will be realized. I broke down about 2 hours away from home. Since I didn't have my tools with me or my laptop, I ended up paying $1067.00 to have both left and right hub assemblies replaced as well as the front brake pads. It would have been cheaper to have my truck towed to my home, ordered the parts for around $80.00 per side, and installed them myself on my time frame and saved around $850.00 .

Check to see if your front tires are wearing more towards the inside of the tires. The best way to check, is to jack up the front end and holding the bottom and top end of each tire, see if you can get the tires to wiggle in or out. If you have play...you need a new hub assembly. Not sure how many miles are on your truck, but mine failed at 62,000 on my 2005 GMC Sierra.

Make sure you have the right hub assembly for the 4x4 and the ABS system. There is a wiring harness attached with the hub assembly.
I've spoke to several people that fell in the trap I fell into....don't make the costly mistake we made. Napa Auto Parts has proven to be the most expensive out of any company I've looked into which is were mine came from. $317.00 each was a pretty heafty price to pay for one hub assembly when you can buy the same part for alot less and a better warranty on the part. If you have any further questions, don't hessitate to ask.
bigalsgmc
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 1500 4.8 V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby lzn197 » Sep 01 2010, 11:35am

I've learned my lesson on wheel bearings. I did competitive analysis of sealed wheel bearings when I worked for a GM supplier. Lots of cheap junk out there. Yes the NAPA part is very expensive but it is a QUALITY part and it is made to the same standards as Original Equipment.

If you choose to Go ahead and buy one of those other cheap bearings; you will end up spending MANY hours removing them, taking them back to get your free replacement. What is your labor time worth? All of the parts suppliers out there are now playing the "I have a cheaper alternative part for you" game. You get what you pay for guys. Read the box on that part you purchase or ask the jobber where the part is manufactured. NAPA does sell the cheaper Chinese version but my local jobber has stopped selling them because he was losing customers. Remember the commercial "Pay me now or pay me later"!
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby steveyo [OP] » Sep 15 2010, 5:11pm

thanks for all your help guys. im going to jack my truck up now hopefully find the problem. the only other problem would be my motor whining please check that post and see if u have any ideas.
Original Poster
steveyo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby steveyo [OP] » Dec 15 2010, 9:55pm

I almost think the noise is comming from the rear!?? when im driving in sounds front left, but i went into the woods the other day, and had my window down and the noise was very loud over rocks in the rear??
Original Poster
steveyo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby whilplashchevy » Jan 02 2011, 9:49am

I Have a 2005 and tonight my noise started to act up, i have had trouble with my abs lately the past few days at the occasional stop sign my abs will kick on for no apparent reason and then turn off i get a warning lamp after i turn my truck off for 3-5 minutes the lamp goes away. recently the temp here has been around 30 or lower and the noise just started to occur, mine sounds like its comming from the left drivers side tires area but has a strange low rythmic kathunk kathunk sounds it doesnt do it all of the time and i catch some vibration on my floor board. It is kinda random but still enough to make me wonder. I dropped the tire off today and checked the front transfer case for oil. It was fine and im fairly positive that its not a cv shaft because i have no wear signs on then and no side to side wiggle play or anything common like that. If you can figure out what making yours do it PM me please! any other suggestions would be GREAT thanks -Ryan
whilplashchevy
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby steveyo [OP] » Jan 02 2011, 4:55pm

ok well I believe my metal sound is actually coming from the rear of my truck believe it or not.... Even tho it sounds like the front... But I have another post about a bar that is directly under my driver door that connect to the front tire and to the other side of the truck an when I shake it it is very lose.... Check urs.. I'll post a pic if you need
Original Poster
steveyo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension