jQuery not supported.

BDS 4” Questions

BDS 4” Questions

Postby Reaper504 [OP] » Dec 27 2017, 4:38pm

In the picture below is the setup im looking at from BDS. I was originally looking at the Rancho 4” lift but BDS is a greater step up IMO. I have a couple questions regarding their kit and in comparison to the Rancho 4” kit.

1) With the Rancho lift I could fit 35x11.50R20 with some trimming, could I fit the same tire on the BDS lift?
2) Eventually I will buy Fox struts but in the mean time, how good are the BDS struts? I will already buy the Fox shocks with the kit.
3) Should I buy the rear leaf spring with the 4.5” block or just stick with the 5” block it comes with? My off-road use will not be anything extreme.
4) Playing into question 3, should I buy the traction bars now or wait until later? Again, my off-road use wont be anything extreme.

Any other recommendations? My budget(the wife) is limited but for a few $$$ more I would rather get the BDS over the Rancho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Silverado LT Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
Pioneer FH-X700BT Head Unit
Silverline Exhaust
RC 2" Level Kit
Original Poster
Reaper504
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: BDS 4” Questions

Postby ricka182 » Dec 27 2017, 4:56pm

Firstly, the Rancho and BDS kits are going to be very similar in design, for the same truck. There are only so many ways to lift it. BDS tends to have the better reputation though, and some of the negative to Rancho, unfairly comes from the horrible shocks they put on some trucks from the factory, when the shocks were made to GM specs, not Rancho specs. Rancho makes good stuff...not saying BDS doesn't, but both kits can be considered quality.

To answer...

1: Likely, yes you can fit 35's with the BDS kit. But it will say what tire and wheel combo will work on their product page.
2: BDS struts are probably pretty good, seeing that BDS is owner by SportTruck USA, who in turn is owned by Fox MotorSports, same company that owns the Fox racing brand.
3: Less block is generally considered better, to avoid axle wrap, but that really only happens on bigger lifts and more extreme conditions that daily driving. If you have the money though, the Glide Rite springs are very nice to have.
4: They can wait, not needed to roll on a lifted truck that won't be doing much off roading that's too crazy.
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 171
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Luke21 » Dec 28 2017, 1:51am

Reaper504 wrote:In the picture below is the setup im looking at from BDS. I was originally looking at the Rancho 4” lift but BDS is a greater step up IMO. I have a couple questions regarding their kit and in comparison to the Rancho 4” kit.

1) With the Rancho lift I could fit 35x11.50R20 with some trimming, could I fit the same tire on the BDS lift?
2) Eventually I will buy Fox struts but in the mean time, how good are the BDS struts? I will already buy the Fox shocks with the kit.
3) Should I buy the rear leaf spring with the 4.5” block or just stick with the 5” block it comes with? My off-road use will not be anything extreme.
4) Playing into question 3, should I buy the traction bars now or wait until later? Again, my off-road use wont be anything extreme.

Any other recommendations? My budget(the wife) is limited but for a few $$$ more I would rather get the BDS over the Rancho.

1. You can run a 35x11.50x20 with that kit with no trouble, I would recommend the Ridge Grapplers! I am running no wheel spacers and I have the stamped steel UCAs.
2. The BDS struts are really good, no need to plan on a change. I like the coilovers but I don't need them...very expensive.
3. I wouldn't buy the rear springs if I were you, as I researched this to death and the rear springs are stiffer, even though they have a higher load rating
4. You shouldn't need to worry about axle wrap. I have the 6.2 and was concerned and I can do a burnout even with the 35s with no axle wrap. I got the standard blocks that come with the kit. Mine came with a 4 inch kit I think.

I went with the Zone 4.5 and installed myself. I initially was going with the BDS but Black Friday I got a smoking deal. Both kits are nearly the same with the instructions being the same for both kits with a few exceptions(strut compression, etc...)

ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Luke21
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2010
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Reaper504 [OP] » Dec 28 2017, 2:07am

Sweet ride! I’ll be getting the Ridge Grapplers as well! Im running the stock 18’s right now. I have a 2013 but I would gather the clearances are rather close. I will look into the Zone 4.5”. I believe its cheaper too?

Silverline Exhaust
RC 2" Level Kit
Original Poster
Reaper504
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Reaper504 [OP] » Dec 28 2017, 2:24am

Luke21 wrote:I went with the Zone 4.5 and installed myself. I initially was going with the BDS but Black Friday I got a smoking deal. Both kits are nearly the same with the instructions being the same for both kits with a few exceptions(strut compression, etc...)

Did you get the C8 or C9 version?
What options did you add?

Silverline Exhaust
RC 2" Level Kit
Original Poster
Reaper504
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Reaper504 [OP] » Dec 28 2017, 2:27am

Nevermind, I see the difference

Silverline Exhaust
RC 2" Level Kit
Original Poster
Reaper504
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Dec 28 2017, 3:22am

Zone is also owned by the same company that owns BDS, hence them being close to the same kit. BDS gives a better warranty, and includes every little extra you may or may not need. Zone is still a great option to get you rolling and lifted.
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 171
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby ProfBrown » Dec 28 2017, 3:43am

BDS is worth the extra price in my opinion in most cases if you can afford it due to the warranty they carry with their stuff. As far as traction bars I'd say you probably won't need them at all, can add them later if needed. A 5 inch block should be fine. Either kit is nice. You'll be more than happy with either kit. Personally of the two, I'd go with the BDS kit.
ProfBrown
Topics: 25
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 5.3
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Luke21 » Dec 28 2017, 6:43am

Reaper504 wrote:
Luke21 wrote:I went with the Zone 4.5 and installed myself. I initially was going with the BDS but Black Friday I got a smoking deal. Both kits are nearly the same with the instructions being the same for both kits with a few exceptions(strut compression, etc...)

Did you get the C8 or C9 version?
What options did you add?

Mine is for the 2014-2018 Silverado/Sierra 1500. I thought yours was that bodystyle as well, my apologies, I'm on Tapatalk and didn't notice the forum. Hope I didn't confuse.

Luke21
Year: 2010
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Suspension