jQuery not supported.

Good off road suspension for me?

Re: Good off road suspension for me?

Postby Colinmcgrath21 [OP] » Aug 04 2018, 4:16am

What are a good set of coil overs that aren't that much money that still get the job done then? Every thing I see is like 1,000 for the top quality pair of shocks for a front end
Original Poster
Colinmcgrath21
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 4X4 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 04 2018, 4:19am

Well you can get the fox 2.0 for under $850. But the halo ones are $899, but would be favored over the fox 2.0. The halos have a large body and have more adjustment.

I paid a little under $1200 for my fox 2.5s. But you'll need new ucas as well. I paid $540 for my cognitos. There are cheaper options out there though.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Colinmcgrath21 [OP] » Aug 04 2018, 5:12am

Is there a good coil over suspension that isn't so much money as in 1,000$? I see some ones like King, or Fox, or one other one and they are in the 1000s range. Is there a similar setup to it, or a setup like it in general that isn't so much money? I didn't want to put that much on shocks for off road, like I live up north in Michigan, and there's a bunch of dirt roads and trails here. I live off a dirt road. So it isn't like I'm doing anything Baja related or rock crawling like a Jeep or anything.
Original Poster
Colinmcgrath21
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Colinmcgrath21 [OP] » Aug 04 2018, 5:13am

Sorry I didn't think my last message had posted for some reason. It wouldn't show me it. But, okay I see what you're saying. I guess I'll have to do more research and if I have any more questions I might ask if it's alright.
Original Poster
Colinmcgrath21
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Fisger8new » Aug 04 2018, 5:16am

ooohhdave wrote:
I don't think your truck with the super lift are doing the same trails with the Jeeps. I had a truck with the 6" lift. It made it top heavy, my COG sucked especially on off camber roads. It's IFS, so you're not gonna get much travel without lots of modification. The only thing my truck was good at was blinding other people on the road.

Trails, not rock crawling and if you can't get a truck with extra clearance down the trail. Then maybe you don't know how to 4 wheel at all. I'm out quite a bit. Off camber, hill climbs, through deep mud. The mud is actually where my truck outshines the Jeeps. Same with many hill climbs. Longer wheel base helps a lot in those. I grew up wheeling. Lived on a farm where we did it constantly. Also live in an area with a 20,000 acre place to 4 wheel called Reading Anthracite Outdoor Area. So, yeah. I'm out and keeping up with the J**ps on those trails a lot. Only issue I have, as was said before' is size in some spots. Again, reading comprehension is key. Trails. Not rock climbs. The point is. Often level kits are usually just enough for these long trucks to find themselves high centered. Usually you want decent size tires to help climb up and over logs, rocks and some smaller ledges. While the added height to the frame helps. Ground clearance at the rear axle and front skid plates are the real key. That can only be achieved with large tires. If you want to rock climb. Yeah, you are going to need to spend thousands to build a rig that will still not do as well as a smaller J**p will with a fraction invested. But since OP says budget. I can't imagine that's what they are thinking. Probably the same as most. Trails, throwing some mud and just getting out to explore.
The biggest thing for anyone to understand about 4 wheeling in general is. It is not a cheap hobby. Trying to do so on the cheap usually means broken parts, getting stuck and all sorts of aggravation.
Fisger8new
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 5.3 Vortec Z71 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 04 2018, 5:16am

For some reason it put my reply to that above.

But pretty much you need to drop the coin if you want to good stuff. There really are no cheap options for coilovers.

You can try the bilsteins and a spacer to get level. Or pretty much any other combination of new strut/spacer. But they will all yield basically the same results.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ooohhdave » Aug 04 2018, 7:41am

Fisger8new wrote:
ooohhdave wrote:
I don't think your truck with the super lift are doing the same trails with the Jeeps. I had a truck with the 6" lift. It made it top heavy, my COG sucked especially on off camber roads. It's IFS, so you're not gonna get much travel without lots of modification. The only thing my truck was good at was blinding other people on the road.

Trails, not rock crawling and if you can't get a truck with extra clearance down the trail. Then maybe you don't know how to 4 wheel at all. I'm out quite a bit. Off camber, hill climbs, through deep mud. The mud is actually where my truck outshines the Jeeps. Same with many hill climbs. Longer wheel base helps a lot in those. I grew up wheeling. Lived on a farm where we did it constantly. Also live in an area with a 20,000 acre place to 4 wheel called Reading Anthracite Outdoor Area. So, yeah. I'm out and keeping up with the J**ps on those trails a lot. Only issue I have, as was said before' is size in some spots. Again, reading comprehension is key. Trails. Not rock climbs. The point is. Often level kits are usually just enough for these long trucks to find themselves high centered. Usually you want decent size tires to help climb up and over logs, rocks and some smaller ledges. While the added height to the frame helps. Ground clearance at the rear axle and front skid plates are the real key. That can only be achieved with large tires. If you want to rock climb. Yeah, you are going to need to spend thousands to build a rig that will still not do as well as a smaller J**p will with a fraction invested. But since OP says budget. I can't imagine that's what they are thinking. Probably the same as most. Trails, throwing some mud and just getting out to explore.
The biggest thing for anyone to understand about 4 wheeling in general is. It is not a cheap hobby. Trying to do so on the cheap usually means broken parts, getting stuck and all sorts of aggravation.

Since I'm a west coast guy, I know our terrain out here is night and different to the east coast terrain. So when you said keep up I was thinking all terrain including rock crawling.

And to the op, we all want to drive like BJ Baldwin but the reality is, it's our daily and we're already on a budget. So, just go out there and wheel what you have and have fun.
ooohhdave
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Aug 04 2018, 10:42pm

I have my quick review of the rancho struts posted. It's in the suspension forum
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ProfBrown » Aug 05 2018, 12:08am

My Pro Comp coilovers were 499 a piece... 2.75 inch shock body, warranty, internal bypass, and offers the adjust ability of other coilovers for a better price than say a Fox or King. Pro Comp also makes aftermarket UCAs I think, uniball I know, I don't know about the more common higher angle ball joint.
ProfBrown
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 SLE 5.3
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users
Previous

Return to Suspension