jQuery not supported.

Honest, is it worth it?

BDS SUSPENSION

Honest, is it worth it?

Postby GREEN7OLDIES [OP] » Mar 04 2021, 12:51am

Hey guys. I have been taking my time for awhile now just researching and looking through all your threads in regards to suspension lift kits and I've found this site to be the Bible of Chevrolet's. So I appreciate all your guys input first and foremost. You guys have really helped many people including me in regards to many many questions.

So I'm about to finally purchase my first lift kit on my 2009 Silverado 4.8L V8 2WD. Great condition. I've been babying it to make sure it last me forever. So far so good etc.

Now to my question. As I'm reaching into my pocket for the debit card I strongly HAVE to ask is the 6 inch BDS Lift really worth $2200 over the 7.5 RCX Lift Kit??? With everything considered is it??

I mean they both practically offer the same parts. Except for BDS offers the AAL along with the block in the back. It's fairly a simple kit. No coil overs yet, this is pretty much my first base kit per se. Yes I am getting the Fox shocks with skid plate.

Now on the other hands, we have RCX with their $1200-1500 7.5" Lift with no AAL but does come with everything BDS provides.

To me, with the prices, I mean, I'm not getting many parts for such a price you know.

So I have to ask you guys. Is it really worth spending the expensive BDS over the RCX?? Truthfully.

I've read everyone's post and we can all agree there's all kinds of opinions. Bad and good regarding RCX.

As far as BDS, I honestly didn't find ONE bad review.

I just feel like I need to make sure I'm not buying the "Brand" as opposed to the quaility which I can also get from RCX. I have seen the other thread where everyone is posting angles and there's some RCX angles that are as flat as BDS and other lifts.

FYI, yes I've looked into all the other kits. Left with both of these.

Plus, I ended up with the BDS Lift because they had the exact lift height I wanted and not the 7.5 measurement.

The goal is for 35 inch tires by 20" wheels.

I'm building my dream car since a kid
Attachments
2.jpg
Original Poster
GREEN7OLDIES
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Honest, is it worth it?

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 04 2021, 1:01am

In my opinion, RC is junk. Cheaply made, not as strong, and generally horrible angles on most of their lifts.

However, your truck being 2wd, you obviously don't have CV axles to worry about, so all you need to pay attention to is your tie rod and ball joint angles.

You want them as flat as possible. You will probably be on with the RC kit in this instance. Would I personally recommend it? No. But in all reality you'd likely be just fine with it.

BDS took a page from the RC book anyway on their kits for the 4wd trucks in that their 6" kit is just the 4" kit with a taller set of struts/spacers. I think their 8" kit is better though. Not sure on their 2wd kits as I've never really looked at them much.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 138
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Mar 04 2021, 1:01am

Why do you want to put that much lift on a 2 wheel drive for? I mean, at least you won't get bad CV axles, and the axle gear swap is going to be half price, but you still can't go very far off road.
Walkers
Topics: 70
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Chevy-SS » Mar 04 2021, 1:16am

Yeah, this ^^^^^^. Not to mention, you will destroy the nice ride and handling you have now, especially with 2WD, that truck probably rides and drives like a car as it is. This is one of those times you should stop and just take a break for a while. Just let this big-lift idea simmer, and if you really still want to do it in a month or two, then fine. But I think it's something you will come to regret. Of course, this is JMHO. Good luck, whatever you choose.... :twisted:
Chevy-SS
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2003
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4WD 4.8L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GREEN7OLDIES [OP] » Mar 04 2021, 4:02am

Man. You must be missing the whole point on a 2WD. You’re obviously aloof to think you can’t do much or “off-road” on a 2WD. You haven’t even assumed perhaps I use the 2WD to tow etc.

Anyway. 6” isn’t that high of a lift. I think it’s just right in regards to height.

I definitely use the truck to take my family to the river which isn’t going up super steep hills etc. But more importantly the 2WD sure comes through driving a family of 4 around!

Check out YouTube regarding 2WD man. You’ll be amazed to the benefits of a 2WD over a 4WD.

Thanks to the first poster, for the FYI regarding the initial post.
Original Poster
GREEN7OLDIES
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 04 2021, 4:15am

There's no issues lifting a 2wd. Especially given the fact that the vast majority of lifted trucks never see anything but pavement anyway. Definitely will be limited if you ever did want to leave the pavement though. Tires and skill will only get you so far.

But yeah, a 1500 with a 6" lift really isn't that high. But it is about as high as practically possible for a truck to still be usable in my opinion. Beyond that, it's too tall to get in and out of the bed normally and be able to load and unload the bed normally.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 138
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Mar 04 2021, 4:33am

You can always get a winch or put chains on to go even farther if needed on a 2WD.
silentbravo
Topics: 23
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Mar 04 2021, 5:46pm

The 6.5" Zone would be the very best option as for as price and suspension geometry. It should be more than plenty to clear the tires as well as long as you dont get a crazy negative offset.

Yeah you dont have CVs to worry about but your balljoints would be at an even better angle regardless whether you get new upper control arms or not. The very expensive BDS option is for coilovers too which is what drives the price up so much.. coilovers completely changed the ride of my truck and I would like to continue to put them on every truck I get from here on out.

7.5" RC $1000
6.5" Zone $1000-1500 depending on options.
6" regular BDS $1700
6" coil over BDS $3800

nothing wrong with a lifted 2WD.. 4" on mine.

You can go offroad still.. you just may need help getting back on the road.. lol

144,208 as of 3/5/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 61
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby GREEN7OLDIES [OP] » Mar 04 2021, 6:28pm

Hey man, I appreciate the replies. And thanks to the last poster for adding photographs and shedding some more light.

Crazy the price ranges. Not sure if you mentioned your lift brand but let me know your thoughts from stock to a 4" lift. There's someone else on this thread that said it would be worse of a ride than stock but we're over here upgrading struts and shocks but somehow that makes the ride worse? No...

You're saying the ball joints with a lift would be at a better angle with the lift as opposed to stock?

BTW what happened in that photograph of you in the sand. Doesn't look much like sand, I can't tell where you got stuck.
Original Poster
GREEN7OLDIES
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby xMisterWilsonx » Mar 04 2021, 7:00pm

Chevy-SS wrote:Yeah, this ^^^^^^. Not to mention, you will destroy the nice ride and handling you have now, especially with 2WD, that truck probably rides and drives like a car as it is. This is one of those times you should stop and just take a break for a while. Just let this big-lift idea simmer, and if you really still want to do it in a month or two, then fine. But I think it's something you will come to regret. Of course, this is JMHO. Good luck, whatever you choose.... :twisted:

x 2 here with letting the idea simmer for awhile. For me personally, I have sat on the idea of lifted my 06 for about two years. I did a leveling kit first, and have come to learn that I do want a real suspension lift. I decided to go with BDS. I had the EXACT same conversation with me, myself, and I about the price differences, and the component angles on the front end.

The reason I went with BDS over RC was the gauge steel they use is heavier than RC, the no BS lifetime warranty, and the fact that they triangulate the drop brackets on the front for the differential which reinforces it and makes it inherently stronger than just dropping the front diff with brackets. I was willing to pay the higher price for all of that. The differences are minimal, I 100% agree. But I could not bring myself to cheap out on my build for a truck that was a dream truck of mine as a kid.
xMisterWilsonx
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Suspension